(Cheap) Custom Midi Controller.

Default (Cheap) Custom Midi Controller.

Well decided to get up off my ass and start work on my custom gamepad controller and not let my blown xbox pcb stop me. After two days heres where im at.

Under the hood.

Have to go to my local game store tomorrow and pick up a generic gamepad (couldnt be bothered waiting for an internet order)

My main goal for this project was to keep it cheap final cost breakdown is:
    -Buttons- Free (Courtesy of my college)
    -Potentiometers- Same as above.
    -Generic case -5e (Maplin)
    -Can of white spray paint (left over from an old project)
    -Gamepad (11e estimate)

Total Cost: 16e

The only problem that i have is the big red buttons aren't very tactile. But heck they were free.

My plan is to use it for 2 deck control (Loops, cue points, key and filter) using the top left button as a shift key.

Edit: Could someone please explain to me how to attach images. Cheers.
    Last edited by photojojo; 05-31-2011 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Fixed image links
    I play everything Indie/ Rock/ HipHop/ Cheese/ Electro/ Dubstep and anything that sounds good

Tsp 1.7/ Tsp 2/ Sony vaio Win 7 4gb Ram / Macbook Pro 13 inch (Main machine) /vci 100 se/ mixdeck/ audio 8/ technics rph headphones/ Custom xBox Controller/ Akai Lpd8

You have to upload the images to a file hosting site, I use Photobucket, and from there, click on the IMG Code that's available under each photo when you scroll over the images in your album. Photobucket automatically copies that for you when you click on it. Paste the IMG code for the image that you want, right where you want it to be in the post.

Rinse, Wash, Repeat.

Your controller sounds pretty good. I'm excited to see how it turns out.
    MacBook Pro 13" 8GB RAM | Traktor Kontrol S4 | 2x Technics 1200Mk5 TTs | Yamaha Motif ES8 | M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 Controller | M-Audio Audiophile AV 30/40 Speakers | Pioneer HDJ-2000 | MIDI Fighter |

http://soundcloud.com/fullkontrol

how many buttons and pots are you using

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yep. View Post
    You have to upload the images to a file hosting site,
    I fixed the images in the OP. You can do it with facebook. PM me if you want to know how as I don't want to muddy up this thread.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Convert

Not bad for 2 days of work, video?

Finished

Bought a standard usb gamepad (no name) for 8e that brings my total cost to:
    E13.00

Soldered it up last nite and began mapping today have all the buttons mapped and will do the potentiometers tomorrow.

The only problem i have had so far was soldering on the potentiometers had to scrap off a good lash of the protective coating then just blobbed on a load of solder as you can see below.

Anyway heres the finished product. Fairly happy with it since its my first diy controller.

Dont really plan on using it at a gig more for home use.

Cheers to all the people here whos posts gave me the knowledge and help i needed to allow me make this controller.

Edit: Just a bit of information i didnt do any desoldering at all. And the pots and buttons still work fine

Also im using rejoice to convert Hid data to midi. I was using fergo for a while but found rejoice to be easier for some reason.
    Last edited by michaeldunne109; 06-01-2011 at 05:33 PM.
    I play everything Indie/ Rock/ HipHop/ Cheese/ Electro/ Dubstep and anything that sounds good

Tsp 1.7/ Tsp 2/ Sony vaio Win 7 4gb Ram / Macbook Pro 13 inch (Main machine) /vci 100 se/ mixdeck/ audio 8/ technics rph headphones/ Custom xBox Controller/ Akai Lpd8

Quote Originally Posted by mr.drumer.boy View Post
    how many buttons and pots are you using
    Im using 12 buttons and 4 pots.

Quote Originally Posted by "cjz" View Post
    Not bad for 2 days of work, video?
    Sorry dude dont have a Video camera using my ipod touch to take the pics.