1 MPF + Kontrol X1 vs 2 Midi Fighter Classics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What combo of Controllers Should I Get? MF, MF Pro, X1?

I've been DJing for about 2 and a half years now using the timecode Traktor Pro 2 set up with 2 CDJ-400's, and I feel that they're limiting me. So I'm looking into buying a couple controllers. The new Midi Fighter Pro seems like a logical set up, however the fact that it controls both channels makes me think that the only solution would be to pick up another controller (i.e. Kontrol X1) to turn the effects units off/on as needed so I'm not applying effects to the other channels. My other thought would be to purchase 2 Midi Fighter Classics: 1 for each deck and control Traktor that way. I DJ fairly heavy electro with bits of dubstep and/or minimal depending on the crowd. If you could help me out, it'd be greatly appreciated!

[I/O]
    http://bionicbeatlab.org

Last edited by [I/O]; 05-24-2011 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Clarification

Instead of an x1 consider a classic MF and a MF Pro. The Pro and Classic together will consume all your fx and will have no duplicated functionality. A unified setup is always nice, as 2 classic MFs and an x1 will have a TON of duplicated functionality. The only complaint I would have about the two midifighters is browsing tracks, but load next in the deckalized and a trackpad/keyboard would do you justice.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Default i'm a n00b.

sorry to sound noobish, but when you say duplicated functionality, what exactly do you mean? i want to be able to control decks A & B with controller a/controller b. would i be able to achieve that with 2 MF's/MFP's and an X1?

Quote Originally Posted by [I/O] View Post
    sorry to sound noobish, but when you say duplicated functionality, what exactly do you mean? i want to be able to control decks A & B with controller a/controller b. would i be able to achieve that with 2 MF's/MFP's and an X1?
    I mean that the Midifighters use a mapping called Deckalized:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Np3L2myavg

It has functions for play/pause, cue points, effects, loops, and even tempo/pitch shifting; the X1 also has the exact same functionality. There is one of the four FX slots that the Midifighter doesn't use, so you could use the x1 for the Filters, pitch, and then control over your last fx section, although all the buttons would be useless because what the buttons on the X1 do can also be done on the midifighter.

If you do an x1 and two midifighters you would be better off doing 4 decks, 2 MFs and the x1 for the other two decks.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by tyfurious View Post
    Instead of an x1 consider a classic MF and a MF Pro. The Pro and Classic together will consume all your fx and will have no duplicated functionality. A unified setup is always nice, as 2 classic MFs and an x1 will have a TON of duplicated functionality. The only complaint I would have about the two midifighters is browsing tracks, but load next in the deckalized and a trackpad/keyboard would do you justice.
    Ok, I did a little research and i got what you were saying here. An MF Pro + an MF Classic would be awesome. However, If I were to get the Beat Masher MF Pro and use that to trigger/modify effects, and the MF Classic was on the Deckalized mapping, would there be any way to switch between decks A&B? Or would that require multiple MF Classics? Or would I be better off running the Cue Master firmware on the MF Pro and the instant gratification on the MF? Sorry to ramble but this is kind of confusing as I am new to the controllerism world. Any help would be appreciated

Tech Wizard

I have a X1 and I use a MF mapping on it, which makes me able to use IG in both deck A and B I only need to press shift to toggle between them... Id buy a MF pro and a X1 or else its just very simular..

That's an interesting idea. What model of MF Pro would you suggest if i ran something like that. On the flipside, if I were just to get an X1 and run it stock (I don't do as much cue juggling as the Deckalized mapping requires), what set up would be better there?

Quote Originally Posted by [I/O] View Post
    That's an interesting idea. What model of MF Pro would you suggest if i ran something like that. On the flipside, if I were just to get an X1 and run it stock (I don't do as much cue juggling as the Deckalized mapping requires), what set up would be better there?
    If your not doing much juggling? Most people would say the x1 with a midifighter on the instant gratification mapping (I think). On the other hand, I don't like the x1's, but it seems that I'm the only guy on the forum who thinks that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrNqFXnI_Pg

Tech Convert

Hey! Right now I have a midifighter classic. Do you think it would be more worth it to trade in the midifighter for a midifighter pro or instead use that money to buy a Kontrol X1 to complement the MF classic? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbler View Post
    Hey! Right now I have a midifighter classic. Do you think it would be more worth it to trade in the midifighter for a midifighter pro or instead use that money to buy a Kontrol X1 to complement the MF classic? thanks
    Depends on what your looking for. FX Kick-Assery or simple control? I'd go with the MF Pro Cue Master.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast