Magazines - Are they worth it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Magazines - Are they worth it?

So, as the title says, are there any worth investing in?

Right now I'm looking into:

Computer Music Magazine
    Future Music Magazine

Both seem to have decent production value, and I was just wondering if there were any others that people swear by. For DJing or Production.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

A lot of these magazines post similar or the exact same information on the site as they do in the magazine. It's worth it if you want every little detail about a product, but if you just want the good stuff, they want to draw people in with the site, so it's probably on the site.
    MacBook Pro 13" 8GB RAM | Traktor Kontrol S4 | 2x Technics 1200Mk5 TTs | Yamaha Motif ES8 | M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 Controller | M-Audio Audiophile AV 30/40 Speakers | Pioneer HDJ-2000 | MIDI Fighter |

http://soundcloud.com/fullkontrol

computer magazine is pretty good and if you got the change go buy it
    allways comes with a free cd of like 7gb of samples or vsts and stuff so its worth the money

I buy Computer Music occasionally, as I have to flick through it to see if this months content is worth my £10. I find that it's hit and miss with what I want from it (mostly Ableton stuff), but as mentioned before, the bundled DVD is always quite good. It gives you around a GB of samples dependant on the months theme, some trial software, some free software and a little section called "CM Studio" which is full of handy little plugins for your DAW.
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

Both are great magazines!

I found both useful, especially their little tutorials. The special on Ableton and Reason have really helped me too.

http://www.musicradar.com/computermu...gory/subscribe
    Last edited by photojojo; 05-23-2011 at 06:27 AM.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunford View Post
    On their site, and this is why I think it's legal, it states:

"Magazinesdownload.com is in compliance with 17 U.S.C. § 512 and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”). It is our policy to respond to any infringement notices and take appropriate actions under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) and other applicable intellectual property laws. "
    they're only putting that on there so you think it's legal. its basically stating that they dont host any of the files themselves, and if there's a copyright ownership claim they'll take the links down.

its the same legal grey area of all the music blog sites out there.

(don't be surprised if the mods remove the link eventually)

they are okay, but a lot of the tips they give you is redundant as in repeated over and over, plus they dont really get into details into why they do things in the tutorial

i used to collect them, buying every single issue as i wanted to "build a collection" (heh!) before finding out they cover the same thing again and again most of the time, its good to keep up to date with what's hot and what's new though

They are not exactly cheap as well, over the time i have probably spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on these magazines (computer music, music tech focus, future music etc) each of these cost SGD $25+ over here (about USD $20, expensive no? must be all the importing) and the freebies they give out is almost always not so good, once in awhile they give out something nice but a lot of the times not really

a lot of the stuff they cover can be found on youtube or some personal websites found on google

so yeah if you got the extra money they do give some nice tips every now and then, but i actually much prefer video tutorials to follow on (eg sonic academy, great video tutorials!)
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

All the computer music mags with masterclasses are effin awesome - learnt soooo much watching those videos !

Quote Originally Posted by DJZILCH View Post
    they are okay, but a lot of the tips they give you is redundant as in repeated over and over, plus they dont really get into details into why they do things in the tutorial

i used to collect them, buying every single issue as i wanted to "build a collection" (heh!) before finding out they cover the same thing again and again most of the time, its good to keep up to date with what's hot and what's new though

They are not exactly cheap as well, over the time i have probably spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on these magazines (computer music, music tech focus, future music etc) each of these cost SGD $25+ over here (about USD $20, expensive no? must be all the importing) and the freebies they give out is almost always not so good, once in awhile they give out something nice but a lot of the times not really

a lot of the stuff they cover can be found on youtube or some personal websites found on google

so yeah if you got the extra money they do give some nice tips every now and then, but i actually much prefer video tutorials to follow on (eg sonic academy, great video tutorials!)
    This about sums it up I think.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast