Improvisation or Set list??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

I always have a playlist but end up changing the order quite a bit through the night because it's impossible to tell how the mood will change. Having said that, it isn't fun browsing through your collection with a minute left on the other song trying desperately to find something!
    Mixes and Productions on Soundcloud

VCI-100 SE - DJ I/O - MacBook Pro 13" - TMA-1 Headphones

I don't think the range of opinion you will get will be significantly different from the last time this was asked on here
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Wizard

When I started DJing I used to write down heaps of tracks that I would want to play during the night, I found it a lifesaver as I didn't have the experience to figure it out on the fly. As time has gone on I can now do sets all improvised. However I always find my sets are better and the people enjoy the night better when I do my prep. Prep involves finding new tracks, practicing some mixes and trying out new things.

I never use a playlist unless for recording a set at home. What I do though, is that I mark all my favourite track with a simple ++ in the Comment 2 section and also write a certain tag in the Mix section. The latter defines to which kind of party/venue this track suits. So happy Electro House tracks don't appear next to Deep House.

Oh, and I also recommend looking at this: http://www.crayonroom.com/moody.php

Based on this idea, I created 16 images which I use to replace my coverart and quickly have an idea of the mood and energy of a track by looking at the file browser.

Hey that's pretty damn neat. If I start using traktor scratch I might actually leave the album art enabled and use that.

I plan individual transitions, for example I always go from MGMT's "Kids" to Chiddy Bang's "The Opposite of Adults" with the same transition, I have a little blend of that new J.Lo "On the Floor" and "Stereo Love" that I'm doing, but on the whole I do whatever feels right for the moment.

My girlfriend is throwing a house party that I'm both helping with and DJing next weekend, so for that I'm completely freeballing it and am going to get experimental back there, cause hey, it's my party, I'll do what I want. :-)
    ------------------
    DJ Twisted Panda
    http://twistedpanda.com @jeremysexton
    Gear: Kontrol S4, Kontrol F1, MidiFighter, iPad running Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedPanda View Post
    I'll do what I want. :-)
    6 hours of schranz.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    6 hours of schranz.
    Nah, I'll mix in Flux Pavillion's Bass Cannon at random to break it up.
    ------------------
    DJ Twisted Panda
    http://twistedpanda.com @jeremysexton
    Gear: Kontrol S4, Kontrol F1, MidiFighter, iPad running Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Hey that's pretty damn neat. If I start using traktor scratch I might actually leave the album art enabled and use that.
    I disabled the album art in the decks and have the album art column shorter than normal to save some space.

This is what it looks like:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tech Convert

Hey guys, I want to get into dj'ing as a hobby in addition to my other music stuff (I have a rock band with some friends, and I have been drumming for 6 years).

This has always been a question in my head. like "do they plan their sets ahead of time?"

interesting answers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast