Just got an Ipad 2... Sent from my Ipad
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Just got an Ipad 2... Sent from my Ipad

Just got an Ipad 2 and from the 3 hours I have been using it it's been a very cool way to interact with the web and my content. So I was asking: 1 who has one that can tell me about DJ apps. 2 Other apps related to dj you might recommend. If there is another thread about this, show the the light
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Tech Mentor

I don't know about DJ apps on the iPad tbqh I haven't really looked seeing as you need to either need to find a sound card that will work with the camera kit or split the stereo audio into 2 mono channels so you can have a monitor and a master. That might change soon with things like the Alesis IODock but you're still limited by the processing power and storage in the iPad. There are quite a few of them in the app store tho so there must be a demand, I guess.

There are lots of apps to control DJ software running on a computer now tho, using the iPad as a controller. Search the app store for the software specific ones by searching for your specific software (VDJ, Serato, Traktor, Ableton etc), Ableton seems to have the most apps.

For creating your own midi control surfaces that you can use with any software that's midi compatible the main players atm are TouchOSC and MidiTouch (my 2 favorites for controlling Traktor). I use them with an iPad 1, a camera kit, 2 cheapo USB to midi cables and a pair of midi adapters for almost zero latency and the dependability altho most people seem happy enough with a wireless connection via RTPmidi. It's perfect for me as an add on controller as I can create controller layouts with as many controls and pages as I want, with full feedback so if you move a knob in the software or it's mapped to another controller it also moves on the iPad (which is nice lol) like a cheap jazz mutant.

I'm surprised there aren't more CDJ emulators in the app store, I've not seen any good ones yet tbh. I think there's a gap in the market for a CDJ emu app with a pitch fader, loops, cues, a jog etc and some midi would be nice if there are any devs reading this.

There is a timecode emu called Tonetable which is pretty good if you have a DVS with timecode support. It would be the dogs danglies imo if they added some core midi capabilities to it or you could run it in the background with 1 of the midi apps at the same time.

Nem0nic started a good thread about iPad apps in the digi section of djf, a while ago now, I would link but they're down again atm. A search for iPad here on DJTT, Midi and DJ in the app store will yield a fair few results for more info.

I have a an ipad 2 all so i use:

touch osc
    midi touch
    touchable
    griiid

its the best thing in my setup right now and with 0 latency through core midi its a winner.

Tech Mentor

ielectribe is a great ipad app
    Xone 42, 12x0 mk2, Adam Audio Monitors and Sub

I havent got an ipad but Touchable looks cool.

http://youtu.be/FVxfx7tSrRo

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

djay is supposed to be pretty cool.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I find groovemaker a fun app, it isn't very useful unless you are running it as a standalone app though as it has no way of syncing to traktors MIDI clock.

TouchOSC all day long!
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

If you use traktor look into TrakProDJ and if you use TouchOSC check out konkreet performer. Both are pricey so I haven't tried either yet but the videos look cool
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Default RE: Computer Music Magazine : Future Music Magazine

Source: http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30513

Quote Originally Posted by Bunford View Post
    I found both useful, especially their little tutorials. The special on Ableton and Reason have really helped me too.

However, and I'm on shaky ground here in terms of legality, but if you google a bit there seems to be fully legal sites out there where you can get pdf versions of the mags, though you obviously don't get the bundled disc with samples and vsts then. Such as this:

http://magazinesdownload.com/categor...ter-Music.aspx

On their site, and this is why I think it's legal, it states:

"Magazinesdownload.com is in compliance with 17 U.S.C. § 512 and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”). It is our policy to respond to any infringement notices and take appropriate actions under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) and other applicable intellectual property laws. "

MODS - not sure on legality of this website, so if you feel this post/link is inappropriate, feel free to remove/edit content.
    Check it out, may be nice on your new platform.
    ------=== ===------

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast