!2000 Dollars to Spend! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Guru

A good idea is to check out youtube videos for all of this stuff and see what jumps out at you. Gear is part of the fun of learning.

S4 + Midifighter + Headphones are about 1000-1100

Leaves you 900$ to go on a vacation!
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

If i was scratching i'd be looking into a set of technics! hell i play minimal and progressive and i'm looking into a set of technics LOL.

if you know anyone who dj's - go jam with them a couple times to see what you like. will you be a button basher, scratcher, long melodic mixer? you don't know until you try and develop a style.
    My wishlist is long and i'm always adding to the list - i say go to a music store with a good selection and get your paws all over some gear and see what feels good - size, quality, workflow layouts of different controllers. if i could spend $2000 right now, it'd be different than what i would've spent 2k on last year.
    getting the software, a midi-capable mixer and tt's is probably the best start if you think you'll actually practice and progress in the scratch area. but just a smaller controller would better suit your needs if you're going to be a house-party dj to start. then you've got portability.
    as i said before - you won't know you're style until you get going and see where it takes you. check out some artists and dj's you like and see what they use - might be a good indication of what you need to play the same style. having said that, some people use an Akai APC 40 for Traktor and others scratch their head wondering why you'd spend $300 on an Ableton controller for djing.
    good luck and have fun spending - just remember to post in the gear pics section of the general topics forum so we can see what you decided to get.

Tech Guru

Man... I would not buy an controller without seeing the traktor interface first...

My 2 cents: first buy traktor pro 2 and a good headphone (Seinheiser hd25's), get used with the software using only your mouse then start to fill with hardware to controll the things that you cant with the mouse only.

Do you have an iPAD? I suggest you look into this mapping for it:
    http://digitaldjtools.net/tools/touc...ad-all-in-one/
    I use it and it's fucking awesome

Also look at the other ones:
    http://digitaldjtools.net/category/tools/templates/

And if you feel really into scratching, just go directly to traktor scratch pro 2 and the stanton or technics turntables...

If I had 2k to spend, I'd get:

TSP2 (in a heartbeat)
    DDM2K
    2xDirect Drive TT's (2nd hand 1200's/1210's)
    Novation Dicers
    UC-33e
    MPD 32 or Launchpad (probably err towards the MPD for those Hippity-Hop beats).

You ain't gonna see much change from 2k, though... :eek:

I'd check out the Denon DN-S3700's. They're CDJ's with 10 inch spinning vinyl disk on top, but denon released a firmware update that enables something they call "midi hybrid mode". This allows you to send timecode signals to Traktor via usb cable, so you basically get a midi controller with a spinning disk, perfect for scratching. If you want a mixer to go along with this, DDM 4000 by Behringer. That should rack you up to 2000, even less if you shop around.
    DJ: Traktor Kontrol S4, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
    Production: LPD 8, Keystation 49, Fast-Track Pro, Equator D5 monitors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12