YAVM - (not) Yet Another VCI-100 Mapping (extensive 4D Layout for TPro) - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Okay, apart from the points above I am thinking about another new feature:

How about throwing the 2 remaining "preview" functions out and replace them with "deck copy" commands? Deck Copy would go from "L" to "R" and vice versa, depending on which decks you have selected. So you could go from "A" to "B" as well as from "A" to "D" etc.

A least for me, the preview function is not too useful anyway, starting with the fact that it does not even allow volume control Oo. So this might be one of the last features before finally going final - for firmware 1.2 at least. But still thinking about a more dedicated beat juggling mode, too.

Does anyone of you actually use preview?

Tech Convert

I think thats a good idea, I never use the preview function, its just not very practical, at least for me, when playing live. I also like the beat juggling idea, in reality thats the only thing this is missing. Sweet shit man.

Tech Wizard

Yeah, after further investigating on how to implement these new features, I think I am unfortunately hitting a wall or getting close to it.

Especially the deck copy command is not possible to implement how I'd like it with only 2 Modifier conditions to work with. Man, this is really mad. I don't know how many ways I've tried to overcome these limitations and suddenly there is another brickwall coming up, presented to you by Native Instruments :eek: If I only could manage to combine Deck select and the SHIFT key, but it seems that this is not possible atm.

So here is what I could do:

a) Yes, dedicated Juggle Mode would be possible, but add a lot more commands by using the last bit of my modes modifier .... but you have at least a "non dedicated" Juggle Mode right now by using SHIFT Lock. The only thing you can't do there that is relevant is juggling and scratching at the same time, since the jogs do scrolling in this mode (which is also nice I think ^^) So you can't have everything, that becomes pretty clear. Not with this controller, I feel it is getting close to be maxed out now.

b) Deck copy would only be possible from A/C to "Focus" and from B/D to "Focus". By this way, it would get a bit complicated and unreliable IMHO. The reason for this is that I only have 2 modifier conditions to work with, and I cannot combine the SHIFT mod. with anything else. Would be really happy to learn how you can trick Trakor into setting back a Modifier to it's last value and not "0" when using a "Hold" control (the SHIFT key in this case).

So I have decided to wait for TPro 1.1, which is around the corner and might bring some improvements with MIDI (but I think not with my case ... )

We'll see ... meanwhile I will try to get out all remaining bugs, if any, so if you stumble around some, pls report. I am especially interested if BOME support is going okay for you windows guys, since I did and only tried this with the OS X beta.
    Last edited by frankiee; 02-12-2009 at 06:03 PM.

The only way to overcome those limitations is to use Bomes instead of modifiers within the Traktor - this will fill in all your multi conditional desires and let you do heaps of things you can do with just Traktor alone.

Also ill be able to convert your bomes pro file into a translator that anyone can use with Bomes Midi Player if you want Just hit me up a email with the file you want to work with Bomes Midi Player and ill use Bomes Midi Author to save it into a format anyone can use.

Tech Wizard

Also ill be able to convert your bomes pro file into a translator that anyone can use with Bomes Midi Player if you want
    Sounds like a good idea! If you want, you can always use the BOME File from the download package, but maybe wait for the next update, as there will be some bigger changes around.

The only way to overcome those limitations is to use Bomes instead of modifiers within the Traktor - this will fill in all your multi conditional desires and let you do heaps of things you can do with just Traktor alone.
    Yes, I know, but I don't wan't a mapping that relies on BOME and does not function without. If it is only an augmentation like with my 4D LED stuff, it is okay of course - but I don't want another component in my setup which kills my set if it fails.

But there is another solution: stubbornness

This coupled with the realization that you actually can walk around some brickwalls led me to a way to realise all of this stuff.

This should be doable with sacrificing another Modifier (which didn't do much anyway) and using it as a second storage of information which deck is active. Also, another "lockbit" is introduced so that I have 2 locking mechanisms and therefore can lock the Jogs independently from the rest. The locking technique is very important for me since it is a nice way to work around the limit of only having 2 mod. conditions per command.

But yes, this would result in even more work, so I am not sure if I should ruin my weekend. But I know my desire for perection, so .... we will see But nice to know that it is doable.

I also attached a sneak preview of the new mapping, this is how it should look like in version b5. Will still be beta though, because there will be a _lot_ of changes under the hood to realise this and therefore, new bugs could appear.

But I really like this mapping now, and I hope you do too! Everything seems to have the best possible logical place now, and I think this mapping does have almost everything inside that is doable / makes sense to use with this controller in TPro. If you don't think so, let me know and I'll look what I can do Well, a huge price had to be paid for this, but I hope the effort was worth it.

The only thing I am not still 100% sure is if I should place the new "Juggle Mode" Button under the Deck Mode Buttons or leave it above them like it was the case with SHIFT Lock. What do you think is more logical?

Okay, another question is if I should actually swap Balance and Key controls, since I actually use keying more often and surely will even more after the next update. Do you guys use keying or balance at all? I mean keying is so nice to match tracks which don't harmonize in their original pitches.

I also think it does not make sense to cram much more stuff in to this controller before things get too complicated and unintuitive, but there are still some things left you could do in FX or Setup mode without adding too much additional complexity, and of course I will look what I can do to improve things with the firmware kit. One thing I'd really like to make better is LED Feedback, maybe 1.4 brings some improvements in this area. So, most new stuff will likely only support upgraded firmware versions after this one is going final. Bring on these kits back again, please!

Also still some time left for feedback and wishes - if you have another idea, let me know, but the window is closing now. Of course, always open for bug reports.

have fun!
    Frank
    Last edited by frankiee; 02-13-2009 at 12:41 PM.

Tech Wizard

Great work Mr

Loving the beat jumps and loop mode this is excellent. Really simple, but i also love the effects on and off where my cue used to be. I am going to try and add some of this to my very gradually building Me TSI.

But thanks a lot for some really cool features on here. Very excited, I just wish I understood more under the hood.

Keep up the good work Michael

Tech Wizard

But thanks a lot for some really cool features on here. Very excited, I just wish I understood more under the hood.
    thanks Well, actually "getting under the hood" is not the exact strength of YAVM. The mapping has gotten really huge and complex now, but about 80% or even more of that would be avoidable if there were better possibilities in Traktor Pro.

One example: to test if a Modifier is smaller than 4 you have to do the following 4 commands:

M1=0 ...
    M1=1 ...
    M1=2 ...
    M1=3 ...

each doing the same thing. Imagine you could do the following:

M1<4 ...

So therefore, many of the commands are just workarounds to limitations of TPro. Another reason for the bloat is that I tried to maximise the Modifier flexibility by seeing them as binary switches. But since I only have their decimal representations to work with (that's 0-7 which is also exactly 3 bits), I have to use a lot of commands to test the Modifiers for single bits. But even then, YAVM b5 will use _all_ available bits of the Modifiers :eek: I also use other techniques like deck locking to cram even more functionality in some controls and so on. Last but not least, a lot of commands are there to make sure nothing gets messed up when combining all of these modes. If somebody really is interested, I could maybe write a bit more about how I did it. Btw: at least the Modifier use is described on the last page of the manual.

Other than that, I have implemented everything I have posted in my preview, so stay tuned for a few days while I do some testing and update my docs etc. But for now everything looks just fine
    Last edited by frankiee; 02-16-2009 at 08:10 PM.

Tech Wizard

Hi

Been using this all day and its excellent. The 4 deck control is genious, i love it. I cant figure out how to use the effects yet but i am sure it will come.

Well done

Can't wait for your next version. After lokking at the tsi file setup i dont think i will be changing anything.

Cheers Michael

Tech Wizard

I cant figure out how to use the effects yet but i am sure it will come.
    Where are you having problems with FX? Maybe I can help.

After lokking at the tsi file setup i dont think i will be changing anything.
    haha, that's what I also thought last time I opened it.

But no fear - b5 is just around the corner, just testing if everything is still OK with TPro 1.1.1

Tech Wizard

Default b5 is out!

So, I have a new Version for you Unfortunately still beta, because the edits under the hood were rather huge. New features & changes:

• SHIFT-Lock is out. Found it somewhat useful, but also distracting and a bit "hacky" so i replaced it with something more useful:
    • dedicated Juggle Mode! This is on the same control as the former "SHIFT Lock". Dedicated means that unlike with SHIFT Lock, all controls except the hotcue buttons behave normally. You can also combine Juggle Mode with any other mode, but if you have Juggle Mode and Loop Mode enabled at the same time, Juggle commands take precedence. In contrast to Loop Mode, Juggle Mode works globally for all decks.
    • Deck duplicate! Now you can perform a variety of "Copy" commands, depending on which decks are active at the moment. Deck duplicate does only work with an already running deck if you have allowed this in your settings (I do not)
    • Instead of that, the preview functions are out! Nobody will miss them, I think
    • improved Setup Mode switching
    • as a last minute change, I had to relocate the RESET command, because it didn't work right any more with TPro 1.1.1
    • ... but well, at least one bug with Midi commands was fixed in TPro 1.1.1, so now you always have correct deck sizes when switching from 2D to 4D Mode. So it is no longer necessary to switch layouts manually when going from 2D to 4D.
    • In Setup Mode, you now also can change X-Fader assigment from Left<>Right to Up<>Down
    • YAVM only includes GUI and Midi Settings now, since the mapping actually does not care about FX or pitch range settings etc. Just make sure you have a 3 Band EQ selected and that both FX slots are set to "advanced" at startup (the latter also achieved by just pressing RESET)
    • increased keying range a bit
    • Some other minor bug fixes
    • Updated and corrected docs, visual map improved a bit

Okay, so we are nearing release I think. No new features will be implemented before declaring YAVM "final", just bug fixes, if any. I still have some ideas for future features, like a Juggle Mode per individual deck - like with Loop Mode - but not for this release

As soon as I get my hands on an upgrade kit, there will be some future development, maybe for firmware 1.4 only as I don't see many - at least major - remaining features anyway that make sense to be implemented. So, I will see how I can improve YAVM using the new firmware. Maybe I can improve LED feedback or use some other nice suprice this might bring. Have fun meanwhile!

PS: Bento, I'd like to accept your offer with the BOME File so if you want to convert it, just grab it from the ZIP and sent it to me / post it here, so I can include it in the download. Thanks a lot!

--------------------
    DOWNLOAD HERE
    Last edited by frankiee; 02-18-2009 at 09:18 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast