APC 40 mapping Traktor 2 multi page clip layout - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Okay I think I understand a little better now after reading your posts on the bomes forums, it's alot to try and explain in single posts haha. I'm starting to get my head around your approach i think. Have you thought about using a button other than the activator/solo to switch between ableton and traktor mode so you don't have the problem of messing with track 7 in ableton? such as one of the track select buttons or the pan or clip track buttons over on the right.

If u haven't gotten the shift sysex command thing figured out yet to update the led feedback? you might find some of this useful, but might have already seen it.http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/20...classes-2.html

It seems like instead of using the shift button you could also map send Monitor state to the same button that you use to switch back to traktor?

So to clear up ur plan is to have
    state 1 traktor
    state 2 ableton
    state 3 drum rack?

I'm running bomes version 1.6.3 on Mac.

Is there a reason you're using your headphones output to your input and not using jack or soundflower to route it internally?

Sorry if i'm asking dumb questions, I've been looking back and fourth at a ton of different posts and threads and my head's a little spun at the moment

Tech Convert

http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/

Could this help to figure out what the Shift button is saying to Ableton?

Could it also be a possibility that the shift is just sending regular midi and telling ableton to do the heavy work? that seems to me to be the case according to this.
    http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/20...k-classes.html
    http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/20...classes-2.html
    http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/20...1_archive.html

Let me know if u think I'm wrong, but it seems like the shift button is just sending its regular midi data and ableton goes "oh the shift is being pressed, so i should re-think all the midi i'm getting from the APC to check if i should be doing something different"

is this making any sense?

Once i get into bomes i'll be able to test my theory by mapping a new button to the midi note that "shift" is set to send on the APC, and see if it's still doing it's thing, but maybe you could do it much quicker.

if so, a fix should be to have bomes send the same Midi note as "shift" when you press the "switch back to ableton" button.

I know i have the knowledge to do this, it'll just be slow going while I get the hang of it, so if i'm switching any lights on for you have at it! Hope this helps!

P.S.
    This last link http://remotescripts.blogspot.com/20...1_archive.html has info on using the APC 20 note mode with APC 40, but i don't exactly see where he's getting the sysex string from. good luck
    Last edited by seannash; 01-23-2012 at 01:29 AM.

Hi sean

yeah i worked out that i didn't need the shift command sysex if i use the sysex to change states of the apc itself. as soon as i change to ableton state 040 it picks up the shift button and refreshes the leds on its own it's only going back to traktor that the LED's need a Send Monitor State to tell Traktor to refresh. i haven't been working on this for sometime as i was getting used to traktor and my apc on their own and i think u might be right in thinking it's ableton that recognises it as it seems to only send the note on/off's in Traktor. I think it is because of the internal mode of the APC but i discovered that i didn't need to do anything but blank traktor virtual outs or ableton vice versa to allow for the mappings on either end... basically just a load of global blanks in one direction.

I also realised if you start a chain of little Max patches like Monomulator and anything else you can have all the functionality of that too and with the 64_40 script that adds to it and i don't need to really write any banks in ableton except for fun i guess. the only thing that i have done is the drum rack as i wanted the buttons to change colour when pressed which the 64_40 script doesn't do (cop out if u ask me) and i want to make the last pad functions from the now well old video everyone's seen but with monomulator and 64_40 i am not really seeing what else is needed on the matrix side of APC + Ableton.

and you know my progress with Traktor so it's all about remembering those globals for State 1 in Traktor to refresh them when traktor preset is activated.

with regards to button choice i am not able to toggle on a single button because i will and have got GrandVJ to consider too whereby the Activator button on the same channel is used to select that and currently for DJ sets i'm using 1 channel of audio from traktor and 2-3 channels of midi plus and audio or 2... stilll not getting to channel 7 in ableton here... so those buttons are currently unused by any program, but i was thinking of moving them eventually once the technicals are ironed out or at least stopping the code sending through if shift is held for the solo/cue button.

The other point you asked about was jack... i didn't mention audio routing because you were asking about mappings but yes it's jack'd to the hilt but i don't want to go external in traktor as traktor's limiter is very good and ableton takes it all away again to need redoing and so if i route all decks to individual channels in ableton i basically have to set up a limiter on the master and that's just unnecessary if i route what i want to ableton and control all levels in traktor, which is why i use the headphone monitor in Jack to send to both my headphone out on soundcard & ableton in 1-2; then take abletons out 1-2 to aux in in traktor and abletons out 3-4 (cue) to my headphone out on soundcard.... it's alot of different things going to the same plugs but it lets me have control inside traktor easier instead of having to switch back and forth to bring things in and out. i prefer the idea of letting traktor do all my mixing and that requires constant attention and ableton is running in the background to do anything interesting i like with a preview option and gain level from traktor and an output level from both.

python is something i can't be bothered with as it's another language that i have enough going on in my head to worry about Bome's does everything i want it too and the 64_40 script fills in the rest the Monomulator does things it doesn't and then Traktor works great for me it's all down to preference streamlinity and how B*stard hard your computer is... mine definitely is a beast and laughs at me mostly so more programs are fine.

if you are going to look into this monomulator thing then you need to get your routes right on PC i go
    APC-Bomes-Midi Translator Virtual In/Out 2-Monomulator In/Out-Midi Yoke 3-4-ableton In/Out
    APC -Bomes-Midi Translator Virtual In/Out 2-Max Patch Send Monitor State Fix-Midi Yoke 1-2-Traktor

So you need to connect the monomulator to ableton with something not Bomes to make a straight through pipe...

and you need to start them it in the order they connect in so APC-Bomes-Monomulator-Ableton or they won't like you... also if you keep messing with stuff it might just break and a restart computer is required to stop the apc and computer from remembering eachother. which is prety gay.

Working Bome's Preset on the Bome's forum

http://www.bome.com/forums/viewtopic...4&p=9271#p9271

Ignore the Monome preset it's not working properly it does trigger Molar correctly it just won't light up so if you load Molar in a channel in Live it will work for the 1st 8 slices of a beat on the 5 rows.

this has LED memory for Traktor channel 1 and Ableton does all it's own thing

*Traktor on Virtual Midi out 1, Live on Virtual Midi out 2. Both Bome's, turn on Track and remote for Bome's 2 in Live for both in and out and set the Script of your choice to these in the dropdowns.

*Hold shift + press Channel 7 Record/Arm for Traktor or Solo/Cue for Live or Activator for Arkaos (Virtual Port 3).

*Hold shift + clip stop 1 for Drum Rack direct (requires drum rack loaded and Record/Arm lit for the channel)

*Hold Shift + clip stop 2 for Monome (requires Molar loaded and Record/Arm lit for channel)
    Last edited by nonspacial; 01-23-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Tech Convert

You read my mind, my next project was getting the monomulator or sevenup running. I'm still just a little fuzzy on what you're using to do the Hold shift + clip stop 1 for Drum Rack direct, is it something that's happening in/through bome's? I'm still working on getting it all together but i'm taking a break for the night, it would be great to see a video example of your performance integrating the grandvj, it seems like it's pretty much where i'm trying to go with my setup.
    Thanks again for your help and interest

yup it's entirely bomes the LED's are feedback inside Bome's, Live doesn't send any data at all it just receives midi on/off's for the notes of the drum rack which for some reason i have told florian are actually 1 octave above what Live says it is playing so C2 is C3 etc out of Bomes. Without Live running the drum rack will still lightup, if you hold shift and push clip stop 1 and let go of shift it will stay there until u change preset again. same with the monome, but tbh without converting to and from OSC messages it's not going to work properly. OSC are like folders where a command can have the same name but different root but are generally much more descriptive in their naming than midi. Monomulator uses Max to intercept and convert these messages to and from the midi the APC uses and unfortunately Bome's does not understand these messages to my knowledge so it would be about making timers and such to turn on and off lights independent of the actual program, now take into account BPM and we might have a problem, other than that maybe python could do it or a Max4live patch in program but why break something that someone else did better and gives you extra functions on PAN and Send's ABC plus choice of light colour...

so i gave up with that.

oh and i don't have or know anyone who owns a camera. hilarious as i did a video masters for the last 7 years so no videos can be made.

laters man

Tech Convert

Thumbs up Success!

Hey man I just wanted to let you know I got everything working, thanks so much for your help and being so open with your project. I had to switch on the virtual ports in Bome's preferences, it didn't add the second port for me automatically it took me a bit to figure that out but I switched the sysex message from 40 to 42 for using my personal mapping and then switched over the first 4 faders' virtual ports and viola full traktor control and full ableton control when i want it, it's a thing of beauty! I'll end up switching the decks' volume faders back most likely once i figure out exactly which tracks i'll have them on, but i'm stoked for now. I also ended up changing where the master switches are, right now i have it
    shift+clipstop 1 ableton
    shift+clipstop 2 traktor
    shift+clipstop 3 drum rack
    shift+clipstop 4 monome
    shift+clipstop 5 vj
    Thanks again,
    Sean

cool good luck with it all then if you use the 64_40 script and monomulator max patch in the chain too those clip stop buttons are already used by one of them as extra banks in ableton so that's why i haven't used those myself.

So i'm re doing the entire mapping for the new 2.5 version it will be much more streamlined but following many of the same principles and LED states as previous versions it's almost finished but i'm having some trouble with the new remix decks as they aren't completely midi assignable just yet so i'm working out the best course of action for further updates as they're available. I'll even do a video for it as i've now got some HD camera's watch this space.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast