APC 40 mapping Traktor 2 multi page clip layout - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Default Amazing controler

hey im what you call a "noob" at mixing. just got traktor n an apc40 not to long ago. first time poster. just want to tell you your controler is amazing.

i saw a youtube vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMbsAIBs3uE , and im curious if in your next update you could somhow incorperate what this broad did. the only thing i dont really like about this mapping is the efects are a little confusing to deal with, however they are really flexable which is great maybe if you were to put what she did in the vid on track select 5-6 and just have the drywet nob. 5 for a-c and 6 for b-d.

i wouldn't even no where to start haha. lemme know what you think

Well that looks simple enough, I will invest-imi-gate into this for you, i have 3 "States" left which means 24 knobs and 24 buttons so shouldn't be a prob. will take some weeks as i am now pretty busy with festivals for the next two to three.

i got my apc not too long ago too, and i had never DJ'd til i had it and realised it could be mapped to traktor. The way i set it up was so that it could be configured by anyone to their own setup without changing Decks around and such but i have got problems with the LED ring feedback on the effect amount knobs i''m thinking that it has to do with the way i have setup the original inputs and so i'm going to look over it with what she lays out here. having said that she is using knobs with no LED position and so it could just be inherent in the apc to be jumpy for this.

you'll see how i get on in maybe later today if it works out.

Default Fixed ALL Knobs to work with no Jerkyness

Nothing added simply an overhaul of the knobs to stop the annoying jerky feedback going on with the FX rack amounts. all knobs now work smoothly and correctly.

You will still need to set them on all 'States' before you begin to mix ofc.

Macro's coming soon.
    Last edited by nonspacial; 07-29-2011 at 09:28 AM.

Primarily for Kfgreen420 but also to clarify a few things:

I think i should explain myself a little bit here about the way the FX are laid out.

Basically i'm coming from a production perspective to DJ'ing, for me all FX are for all Decks and mixing and mashing 4 decks through the same FX or not is a choice that i make on the fly. so the layout is designed that you would turn on said FX on the Deck of choice and then be able to tweak it's parameters thereafter.

Taking on-board what the 'Broad' as you put it has done i have recreated this effect on a State 5 Knob set but don't actually see the value of splitting the FX Left and Right deck specific. You have a flashing light on the APC to say whether anything is active on the specific Deck you are looking at and you can see in Traktor which other Decks have that effect on or not so i have concluded useless midi info to double this feature up on a separate state.

I am looking into more FX Macro's to chain together under single knobs any suggestions would be welcome, before i upload a working version of it. I have also included in the next version 5 a Reset FX to the original that comes with this TSI as these are the FX i use solo most.

Also in Version 5 will be Snap Mode and Quantize Mode On/Off buttons with LED's correctly assigned.

Default Version 5.0 with Macros and new stuff

Version 5 with Jpeg and Macro Knobs
    Last edited by nonspacial; 07-31-2011 at 06:44 PM.

I am going away for at least week on weds so any replies after 2moro will be dealt with when i get back. please feel free to give me your ideas for effect chain macro's, that you use/would like to use. just tell me the FX names you want on a single knob, state whether Single/Grouped, and any info on how you use it, like the feedback echo out in the video above.

Also worth noting here:

if you want to add anything to the tsi on your own for testing purposes, by splitting the TSI as i have seen some do into Mixer/FX and other controls as separate midi devices (by adding a new one at the top) you increase the size of the TSI by Mb's and so i had to spend a couple of hours recreating them in the very long list of controls already in the "Everything" Device. I ended up with a 3.1Mb file which could not be uploaded to this site but by putting them all in the single device it is only 710Kb. My point is purely to illustrate the choice to make all the controls so confusing, and my only workaround i can suggest is to sort the list's by Control 1st and then by Mapped to, this way you can see all commands on a single midi button/knob and then see what it controls alphabetically. seems to organise it easier for the eyes if you want to learn how it works for yourself.

have fun

Robbie
    Last edited by nonspacial; 08-01-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Hey, again id like to say i really like your mapping here, best one iv seen so far, looking forward to the upcoming updates. thought i would share some layout suggestions. like i said before im a noob so if for any reason you disagree, lemme know, and tell me why, just for learning purposes

so first i like how you have your EQ set up in columns, keeps thing organized and neat. however i don't like when you change from state 1(EQ) to state 2/3(FXS) that the filter and low nobs arnt tweakable. I think that if your were to just rearange the order which is currently(from top to bottom) hi, mid, low, filter; and flip it to filter, low, mid, hi that would be great! then when you switch to state 2/3 to tweak the FXs with the lower 8 nobs, then the filter and low nobs for each deck are still available for tweaking in the top 8 nobs without having to switch back and forth from state 1 to state 2 to access FX's and the low/filter nobs. OR you could leave the order you have which makes most sence having the "hi" on top, and the "low" on the bottom, and put all the FX's in the top 8 nobs instead of the lower 8. its all up to you man, both will get the same results

Secondly i think that the layout you made for the FX's in general is a little confusing. Everything else you made seems perfectly organized so im sure there is some stratigic reason why you put the FX's nobs the way you did. But i think it would make most sence to order it this way(from left to right) dry/wet, parameter 1, 2,3. Any reason why you put the 2 dry/wet in the middle bottom row? i always get confused when tweakin parmeters which ones im actually tweaking. the order i mention above i thought would be the most organized

lemme know what you think about my 2 suggestions.

also because im a noooob i cant think of any macro suggestions. ill try out fucking with some parameters and making some macro suggestions. the one in the vid i posted about tho seems AMAZING.

Quote Originally Posted by kfgreen420 View Post
    Hey, again id like to say i really like your mapping here, best one iv seen so far, looking forward to the upcoming updates. thought i would share some layout suggestions. like i said before im a noob so if for any reason you disagree, lemme know, and tell me why, just for learning purposes

so first i like how you have your EQ set up in columns, keeps thing organized and neat. however i don't like when you change from state 1(EQ) to state 2/3(FXS) that the filter and low nobs arnt tweakable. I think that if your were to just rearange the order which is currently(from top to bottom) hi, mid, low, filter; and flip it to filter, low, mid, hi that would be great! then when you switch to state 2/3 to tweak the FXs with the lower 8 nobs, then the filter and low nobs for each deck are still available for tweaking in the top 8 nobs without having to switch back and forth from state 1 to state 2 to access FX's and the low/filter nobs. OR you could leave the order you have which makes most sence having the "hi" on top, and the "low" on the bottom, and put all the FX's in the top 8 nobs instead of the lower 8. its all up to you man, both will get the same results

Secondly i think that the layout you made for the FX's in general is a little confusing. Everything else you made seems perfectly organized so im sure there is some stratigic reason why you put the FX's nobs the way you did. But i think it would make most sence to order it this way(from left to right) dry/wet, parameter 1, 2,3. Any reason why you put the 2 dry/wet in the middle bottom row? i always get confused when tweakin parmeters which ones im actually tweaking. the order i mention above i thought would be the most organized

lemme know what you think about my 2 suggestions.

also because im a noooob i cant think of any macro suggestions. ill try out fucking with some parameters and making some macro suggestions. the one in the vid i posted about tho seems AMAZING.
    I'll answer the questions chronologically so you get an idea how i came to the decisions:

1: originally i set up the eq and filters this way as it matched the way i imagined most would be used to using, but it wasn't until much later when i had mapped the entire matrix and deck selects etc that i started to look at the other states. Now the way the other 'states' work is internally controlled by the APC. The 'States' only change the lower 8 knobs midi channel and i am not aware of any way to change the same for the top 8 knobs, they are static. So your suggestion of changing the top 8 knobs instead is impossible to my knowledge, correct me if i am wrong someone.

2. I then went about making the FX 1 and 2 controls and again originally completely forgot/did not think about the Dry/wet controls and wanted to find a way to put 3 knobs in action placing the blank one's in a place that was least problematic, i figured left and right hands would be used to control 2 FX at a time and then like a piano you would bring them together at the top, e.g. two right angles. a few updates ago i realised there was a dry/wet knob and just added it in the space. i'm not sure if i want to change the layout from this or not now, but straight lines is certainly possible only on the bottom two rows of knobs as stated above.

I am thinking about what you say regarding the filters and low knobs being lost, i often work with 4 decks and find that i work around the idea with filter & FX separately, but i can see the validity of the filter being in constant use. What do you think about moving the Filter to the topmost row and then the others down 1? If you are gonna lose some anyway then mid and low can be compensated for with filter in the interim periods when using FX parameters. I'm potentially going to go with this anyway as it seems to make the most sense.

thanks for the quick reply. in regard to the filter and FX. i think the best way in my opinion to set this up would be (from top to bottom) the filter, low, mid, high. that way the filter and the low nobs will always be accesable, and when you are in the FX states, the high and mid get lost. i think that the filter and low are most inportent to beable to tweak at any time.

also i dont wanna sound like a complainer but is there anyway you could make a more "HD" pic. im having a hard time reading some of the things in your Jpeg. thanks

i'm unsure as to why you're so concerned about the low EQ tbh if it's needed to be killed because it's going to clip or the sounds won't mix in key or whatever then the EQ kills are always there. the filter is more important however. I don't think my brain will work well with an upside down EQ system, it's backwards after all.

However if you want to change them for yourself then all you have to do is click the Learn button (it will go yellow/orange) and twist the knob you want to assign, go down the list (check Deck ABCD before twisting) then un-highlight Learn and change the Outs to the corresponding CC+8.

eg

if EQ high A is midi channel 1 CC52 then the LED ring output is midi channel 1 CC60 and so on.

I think i am always going to release updates Filter, High, Mid, Low top to bottom from now on, have been working with it last night and it feels good.

oh and the pic is currently my bain, this site won't let you upload any larger than 195.3KB jpegs so my latest version won't even upload as it's larger than that and looks shit i agree. i think the only way to do it is to remake it all on less pixels in the 1st place which is pretty gay and time consuming.

thanks for the input man.
    Last edited by nonspacial; 08-02-2011 at 08:24 AM.