APC 40 mapping Traktor 2 multi page clip layout - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

I think the best idea is what you were initially saying. No need for multiple computers and controllers as long as your computer is up to snuff. Isolating the midi messages to their own virtual channels via midi routing/translating programs does the trick. Activating one page "turns off" the other and vice versa.

To the OP: just from a usability perspective, why do you want to isolate decks to unique pages? I've never felt like the APC40 didn't have enough controls on one "page" to handle multiple decks. I feel like having to think about what page you're on, and to change it to control whatever deck just adds precious seconds and disconnects you more from your interface. I'm not trying to get down on ya, I'm just curious about your preferred choice. (I've gotta have everything right at my fingertips, or I start to get remote dj syndrome, it's just not as fun.

FYI, I run 4 decks on a Traktor page and the default Live APC40 functionality on a second page, with a few tweaks - midi translation is def neccessary.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Default Finally here is a sampler deck version

So this gets more complicated but as i said above there are banks for the bottom right most knobs and so for ease and separation i have used Bank 8 or Track Selection button 8:

There are 2 versions here as i have changed the faders in version 2 from the original way round to make more sense of their positions both in shift and normal modes.

Version 1 has Deck Vol then Deck Pitch for ACBD respectively and has the effect selectors as hold shift and move FX3: 1,2,3, FX4: 1,2,3 FX1, FX2 thee are not bank specific so don't worry they are always there.

Version 2 is more realistically intuitive i feel but you might not it is:

left to right
    Vol ACBD faders 1-4 Pitch ACBD faders 5-8
    then on shift hold FX1, FX2, FX3:1,2,3, FX4: 1,2,3.

the rest is the same for both:

So your Sample Deck which i have as Deck C if you change this you must change the midi messages to Sample deck 1-4 slot 1-4 accordingly.

MOST CONTROLS ARE HIDDEN IN TRACK SELECTION BUTTON 8:

not hidden are the play buttons which are the bottom most right square of 4 buttons they should be red but will go off when you press them... trying to fix this.... at any point in your mix you can press these buttons to play/pause the sample in the slot, top row 1,2 bottom row 3,4. Available when on any deck selected as it's the matrix.

You then have your Dry/Wet control on Shift+Master Fader (also not hidden on 8)

Slot Play Mode (single/Looped) is accessed from PAN, Send A, Send B, Send C = 1,2,3,4 respectively and must be double tapped for some reason for on and off.

Loop Rec Length is changed by Nudge - and + and Loop Record Delete is Tap Tempo.

On 8 then and in both the versions of course:

So you can either load a sample from your list with:
    Detail View= Slot 1,
    Rec Quantization = Slot 2,
    Midi Overdub = Slot 3,
    Metronome = Slot 4.

or you can record a sample from the mix with you guessed it the Rec button above the xfader and use the STOP button next to it to play/stop its playback.

Shift +: Detail View = Load Loop Rec to Slot 1
    Rec Quantisation = Load Loop Rec to Slot 2
    Midi Overdub = Load Loop Rec to Slot 3
    Metronome = Load Loop Rec to Slot 4

Ok so the buttons inside the square under the knobs starting with Clip/Track are double taps also on/off?: Filter slot1 on/off, Filt slot 2 on/of, Filt slot 3 on/off, Filt slot 4 on/off.

The knobs above are bottom row vol and top row filter cut off for slots 1,2,3,4.

And that's it so far... so remember if you want to trigger samples just go ahead in the matrix but if you want to control them you need to be in STATE 8.

Peace and thanks for your time in reading my crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Kyoti View Post
    I think the best idea is what you were initially saying. No need for multiple computers and controllers as long as your computer is up to snuff. Isolating the midi messages to their own virtual channels via midi routing/translating programs does the trick. Activating one page "turns off" the other and vice versa.

To the OP: just from a usability perspective, why do you want to isolate decks to unique pages? I've never felt like the APC40 didn't have enough controls on one "page" to handle multiple decks. I feel like having to think about what page you're on, and to change it to control whatever deck just adds precious seconds and disconnects you more from your interface. I'm not trying to get down on ya, I'm just curious about your preferred choice. (I've gotta have everything right at my fingertips, or I start to get remote dj syndrome, it's just not as fun.

FYI, I run 4 decks on a Traktor page and the default Live APC40 functionality on a second page, with a few tweaks - midi translation is def neccessary.
    Nice, well i'm totally new to Dj'ing, much more production has been done with a mouse and i hated trying to dj with one, now i have this apc it has opened a world to me, but to honestly answer your question, for me i find it almost impossible to track what is what without everything on one page i mean effects and on's/offs in general so when i tried out 4 decks on a single matrix all i found was there wasn't enough room to add more controls totally and that where they were just confused me, so i set about this project to let me say this control is for this deck right now but in a minute it will be the same control on another deck. that way my brain ache is relieved, suffice to say there have been moments in this first week ever of DJ'ing (much more of a computer geek and guitarist... until now) where i have pressed stop on the wrong deck and killed the noise or reset to the beginning of the track, luckily i'm in my living room eh :P. but i'll get used to it.

Then i would say to you where are your "Page Selectors"? cos mine is kinda a workaround as i couldn't find a way to reset the matrix on a new midi channel or do you do it with midiyoke type thing and get it that way... you mentioned you chained it so can you explain exactly how you would say press a button for deck A to appear and then Press another button for Deck B... Just that command and i will be sorted for the rest...

oh and what about dumb mode? doesn't your apc go into dumb mode when you load ableton up? or does the midi translator stop it from doing it somehow... cos i need it in standard mode in traktor and would love to use ableton plugin to play live some of my tracks with the apc in a mix.
    thanks man.
    Last edited by nonspacial; 05-10-2011 at 08:34 PM.

So i think this is the final version i will need to make it has all LED Rings set correctly so if it's a middle locator like EQ or filter knobs it is centered solid and grows left or right and if it's an effect control it grows from left to full, all update across banks and none of them interfere with the others now... also the sample trigger buttons are led mapped correctly Red not playing flashing playing.

i haven't made it in version 1 as i figure the fader setup of 2 will be more intuitive for others.

There are 2 addition to this in terms of buttons
    1 is Activator Button 1 is a Send Monitor State IN. Push it once you've started traktor and it will sync the all LED's. THe only problem is it sets the EQ knobs to Kill so you must only do this once and then move the knobs where you want them and play from there on. (iit lights up so once you've got it lit don't push it again.

2 is 4th row along 2nd button down (green) has 2 functions:
    push: reset FX1
    Mod 3 (button above it (red)) +push: reset FX2

Hope this is as enjoyable to use for someone else.
    Last edited by nonspacial; 05-11-2011 at 02:34 PM.

There is one last thing that i have done but am not updating the tsi as it's only one thing you can do yourself easily:

in controller setup scroll down to

Tree Select Up/Down and tick Auto Repeat on both Dec and Inc

and then you won't have to keep pushing up and down but just hold it.

Quote Originally Posted by nonspacial View Post
    There is one last thing that i have done but am not updating the tsi as it's only one thing you can do yourself easily:

in controller setup scroll down to

Tree Select Up/Down and tick Auto Repeat on both Dec and Inc

and then you won't have to keep pushing up and down but just hold it.
    AHH CHEEERS!

Using that one!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Right i found a big issue with this and i need some real help on it cos i'm very lost as to how to make this work properly.

If you have downloaded my tsi you will notice that when you press the Hotcue buttons it also resets the EQ and Filter knob rings and the soft crossover doesn't work properly... so when you move the knob, and only then the EQ Kills for a split second and is noticeable if you are playing... though it does not do it until you move the knob so you could get away with it...

Now the reason is in order to get the LED's to work for said hotcues you have to have a Send Monitor IN which is global... now this is the same command used on the Activator 1 button that i said to use when you open traktor...

How can i separate these commands as i app apparently need 8 for the individual cue buttons and 1 to sync the apc with traktor?

I might solve it before i get a reply but this means 1 more tsi to post yet.

INVERT on the knobs does not work.... No INVERT on Send Monitor IN does not work...

This guy has the same problem and there is no reply there fixing it:

Quote:

Hello all,

I'm currently using a VCI-100 as my primary interface but I decided to mess around with the APC40 that I have to tinker with using the clip launch grid for Hotcue launching. However, I'm running into some confusion regarding the LED outputs and I was hoping someone could help me understand things better.

What I am ultimately hoping for is to have the APC40 clip launch rows 1-4 buttons 1-8 map to Traktor Pro decks A-D Hotcues 1-8 respectively. Now, making the actual launch trigger work is trivial however, it's a bit of a confusing bundle of buttons when none of them are lit. I figured the LEDs on the APC40 would be ideal since they have multiple colors.

Imagine the buttons....
    - dimmed out when there is no mapped cue
    - lit up yellow for each cue point
    - lit green for each loop
    - lit red for fade in/out cue points
    - each of the above blinking when it's the active cue

Having access to all the hotcues for all 4 decks at once could be a lot of fun.

In Traktor Pro when you set a midi assignment for Hotcue State the controller range defaults as -1 to 5. I believe (sorta guessing) that maps to
    -1 - no mapping
    0 - Grid
    1 - Cue Point
    2 - Load
    3 - Fade In
    4 - Fade Out
    5 - Loop

On the APC40 each clip launch has the following state numbers
    0=off
    1=green
    2=green blink
    3=red
    4=red blink
    5=yellow
    6=yellow blink
    7-127=green

Now when I load a track with regular Cue points saved as Hotcues 1-8 and I use a midi mapping for Hotcue 1 State (controller range = -1, 5 and midi-range 1,1) then the clip launch button correctly turns green when I load. Awesome! If I change the midi-range to 2,2 then it blinks green when I load the track. So on and so on.

Ok so that seems fine but the issue comes in when I "use" the hotcues. As soon as I press the button mapped to Hotcue 1 the light goes out and wont come back until I reload the track into the deck. Press it again and poof the light is gone.

It seems like something or other causes Traktor to reset the state of the LED output to off as soon as you use the cue... doesn't seem to make any sense and that's why I am stuck with it.

I've also tried mapping where the controller range was set as -1,5 and midi range 0,7. when this is the case then each hotcue type correctly gets one of the different color patterns. This still doesn't change the LED from going out after the first time you press the button.

Is there something about "Hotcue # State" that changes when you trigger it which would cause LED Output lights to cease to function when mapped accordingly?

Thanks for any tips or ideas on fixing this!
    Last edited by nonspacial; 05-12-2011 at 12:45 PM.

nope yeah sussed it... will post tsi dhortly no need for send monitor in's just got rid midi ranges relating to anything but Load and has flashing button... tsi shortly

Oh so now i have them all mapped out including a Delete Hotcue and there isn't a visible way to separate the buttons. so it changes the colour of all the buttons when you set or delete a single hotcue and the button you push goes off if you delete one whilst the rest change colour. bah grrrr feck....

here is the tsi to see for yourself

wow i didn't realise how much code 9 send monitor in's could have taken up the file is half the size lol... and it is correct

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast