Cuing ritual - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cuing ritual

Tech Mentor

On a side note, I have to remind myself not to mix to fast. Because beatmatching take no time now, I find myself ready for the next track, while the track running is still building up and not even at the best part of the track.

So then I have some spare time, dance, search for one or more songs to play next, check some parameters if everything is still how it should be, clear all drinks gathered near your gear and so on.

Ofcourse this is not all while cueing, but same category.

Quote Originally Posted by joostiisme View Post
    On a side note, I have to remind myself not to mix to fast. Because beatmatching take no time now, I find myself ready for the next track, while the track running is still building up and not even at the best part of the track.
    I know where you're coming from. That's why I feel like I'm missing something. Even with f'our channel mixing I have this dilemma. It feels kind of weird standing in front of an audience and having noting to really do in terms of getting the next song prepared. I've been lucky enough to be able to practice on PA's every day at a local DJ equip rental shop down the street. Whenever I see the guys on vinyl or even CDJ's mix they spend so much time beatmatching and eqing that I feel like there is something to that. They all have developed some sort of rhythm and flow to their mixing because of the time in between tracks. I like your advice about looking for tracks, I think I'm going to do that more.

Tech Mentor

Not really much to do once you've beatmatched, and made sure it's beatmatched.
    I tend to just chat to people while waiting for my mix point, which is usually around the last breakdown or just as it finishes.

I have only DJ'd for friends parties so I find I don't have to pretend to be doing important "DJ work". I could play with effects or cue points, but the crowd get bored of that sort of thing very quickly.

Tech Mentor

when i fade 2 tracks i sometimes lower the bass/treb/mids on the 1st track, and raise them o the second track, maybe using a flanger/delay/echo to fade out the first track.

For example, song playing on one, I slowly kill mid+treb eq, while raising the mid and treb on the second track, echoing the 1st track, slowly fading; killing the bass on one and raising on two.

Quote Originally Posted by buddha131 View Post
    when i fade 2 tracks i sometimes lower the bass/treb/mids on the 1st track, and raise them on the second track.
    No shit! :eek:

That's where I been going wrong
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Sounds in Space View Post
    I know where you're coming from. That's why I feel like I'm missing something. Even with f'our channel mixing I have this dilemma. It feels kind of weird standing in front of an audience and having noting to really do in terms of getting the next song prepared. I've been lucky enough to be able to practice on PA's every day at a local DJ equip rental shop down the street. Whenever I see the guys on vinyl or even CDJ's mix they spend so much time beatmatching and eqing that I feel like there is something to that. They all have developed some sort of rhythm and flow to their mixing because of the time in between tracks. I like your advice about looking for tracks, I think I'm going to do that more.
    Also, preparing some samples of the song playing now and the next song. (load loops into sample decks). And then as soon as the next song is playing, start loading some parts of the next song.

Haven't really tried that, but it might be fun to drop a drumbreak or riff from the song you'll be playing in 2 minutes. Just to warm up the crowd. Maybe a good idea to do this with hits only. so the small snippets are recognizable

Last night I played my 1.5 hour set on a pair of cdj900s+usb and no traktor. Its pretty sweet to be able to have all your music stored on the usb like that.

I usually mix in my headphones because I don't always have a monitor. I try to be as versatile as possible, the head phones help me with that. I always experience some sort of latency between the booth and the floor. As soon as I think the songs are locked I take em off to make sure the highs don't slice someones head off.
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/

The hd25's hardly ever leave my head, they didn't really either when I was trying to do 3/4 decks with sync, loops, fx etc Hawtin/Liebing style and supposedly had all the time in the world due to no beatmatching.

usage breakdown :
    *quickly prelistening a tune (or three)
    *Scrubbing through part of the track to make sure how well it fits regardless of key.
    *Trying out all the hotcues if I want to plan for some beatjumps or just to remind me of the essential sections. (I use "beats to cue" a LOT).
    *Beatmatching/riding the pitch ALL THE TIME (vinyl timecode user) since I typically do long-ass blends, with or without loops.
    *Enjoying a cleaner sound than on my monitors.

I use my headphones so much the cue/master level pot on my mixer is more worn out than the main two bass knobs together.

I listen to a few tracks to jog my memory and and a good place to mix in or if I wanna do a mashup. Also one of the things I look for is the rhythm of the next track and if it sounds good Ill mix it in. I dont throw all my music into 1 folder, it's all separated by when I purchased it which also helps me remember the tracks since I will know exactly where a song that I REALLY wanna use is.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bumtsch View Post
    *Enjoying a cleaner sound than on my monitors.

I use my headphones so much the cue/master level pot on my mixer is more worn out than the main two bass knobs together.
    These 2 statements sum it up for me

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast