How long does it take you to make a 1 Hour Live mix (For Soundcloud)? - Page 2

View Poll Results: From deciding which genre to recording the 1 Hour mix, how long does it take you?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • One weekend

13 76.47%
  • < 1 week

1 5.88%
  • < 2 weeks

3 17.65%
  • < 1 month

0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Guru

3-4 nights at home.

Day 1 = pick out some songs I'm diggin at the moment and then the list to the ones that go best together. Takes about an hour while watching TV.
    Day 2 = pick my transition points and mark them, about an hour watching TV
    Day 3 = listen to the transitions (about 20 mintues), then record the full mix, run thru Izotope (learning how to).
    Day 4 = redo if I didn't like it.

Total time about 4-5 hours.
    I think there is a HUGE difference between playing out and making a demo. Playing out your going with the vibe, people aren't critical about your technical abilities, your graded on your ability to keep a certain vibe going. A demo is scrutinized, rewinded, etc. It's supposed to be your BEST work.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Quote Originally Posted by nephew View Post
    an hour, simple enough. Think it takes me longer to convert the mix to mp3, upload it and type out the tracklisting.

I never spend time "preparing" a mix, i just sit down, find a good tune to start with, hit record and press play.

My tunes are well organized and labelled, and with traktor i can see if there's any issues that are coming up ahead of time where i can figure out what to do if need be.

If you really need to spend two weeks to record an hour mix you really need to have a word with yourself. I think everyone should just hit play and record for an hour and see what they come up with. If it's sloppy and boring then what makes you think you'll do any different when gigging out?
    image removed - insulting to other members. J
    Last edited by Jester; 05-07-2011 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Smallhans View Post
    Most of you are probably thinking "easy: an hour...duhh." But I'm talking about from trying to figure out what genre you want to mix, making the tracklist, figuring out the transitions to each track, and retrying if you made an accident during the recorded mix.
    still an hour, mess around/practice daily, so have combo's and tranisitions that i'm currently using, when i record my monthly mix i just throw down in the same way, but take out some of the 'experimental' mixes that i've been testing, unless i've got them nailed.

basically when recording i take fewer risks than i do practicing or even when i've play live.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    An hour, simple enough. Think it takes me longer to convert the mix to MP3, upload it and type out the tracklisting.

I never spend time "preparing" a mix, I just sit down, find a good tune to start with, hit record and press play.

My tunes are well organized and labelled, and with Traktor I can see if there's any issues that are coming up ahead of time where I can figure out what to do if need be.

If you really need to spend two weeks to record an hour mix you really need to have a word with yourself. I think everyone should just hit play and record for an hour and see what they come up with. If it's sloppy and boring then what makes you think you'll do any different when gigging out?
    As much shit as you talk on this forum (and I imagine countless other forums as well) I'm pretty sure you don't "gig out"

Quit being such a dick.
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

@ seitz .. removed your pic bro, no need for that.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

It varies. Sometimes I just sit down and play with no defined plan and hit record, other times I've spent a week off and on working things out to be just the way I want (although, inevitably, these sets tend to be overly complicated and I end up screwing up while recording anyways).

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Some people do studio mixes and some people don't. Some people play out and some people don't.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

some girls need a lot of lovin' ... some girls don't
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Let's say a full day (usually spread over a few evenings), because my track selection and my mixing aren't as fluid as I wish they'd be, so I can't just jam, record, trim part of it and upload that.
    So that'll be a morning of prep to narrow down the tracklist a bit.
    A bit of messing about with said tracklist, to figure out the mixes I haven't already tried out, and usually for plain technical warmup.
    Recording, eventually redoing a part - two hours.
    Then it's up to an extra hour working on the volume automation to even things out a bit, although I've gotten better at taking care of the levels in the first place, and fixing the mistakes in soundforge second.
    Last edited by bumtsch; 05-07-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seitz View Post
    image removed - insulting to other members. J
    amused me

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast