Ecler Nuo4 Review.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Ecler Nuo4 Review.

So I just picked it up a couple days ago and here are my initial thoughts:

Sound Quality- Awesome. It takes a lot to get it to clip even though the levels run a little hot. There are 2 analog-only channels and 2 analog/midi channels (one or the other), along with a MIDI center strip that includes 4 push button encoders.

MIDI Implementation- Extensive and well thought out. USB cable into computer. 4 push button encoders, 2 full MIDI capable channels, MIDI crossfader and a toggle switch to flip between 3 layers creates a BUNCH of MIDI controls... lazy math: like 70 controls. PLUS, there's a 5th input channel that only has a Gain knob and PFL button to cue it. Which is AWESOME.

Knobs/Faders- Fat knobs give precise response, with a very reassuring center detent. The faders are smooth and sturdy.

EQ- I was at first slightly concerned with what I've heard about the frequency range of the MID EQ knob being wider than other mixers, but I actually like it a lot. I can keep/remove the deepest of the bass frequencies without taking away from the lower mids. This is important to me when I'm doing mashups and trying to extract vocals without making male voices, for example, sound tinny.

Build Quality- I got mine from the 2nd (possibly more) person to have owned it. From the demo the guy gave me, I could tell he tends to be rough with his equipment. There were some scratches and bumps and he slammed the faders pretty hard during his residency with this mixer for the last 2 years but its was still an 8.5 to 8.8 out of 10.

I was initially debating between this Ecler Nuo4, the Behringer DDM4000 (which I previously owned), and the Vestax 3 channel PCV-275. I considered the PCV-275 really only because it was cheaper and shiny lol. I LOVED my DDM4000 for the features but the quality of the potentiometers always bothered me, even though I liked the sound quality of the DDM.

I'm SO glad I went for this mixer and that I got it for $360 which is only a little more than the DDM new. I always told myself that if I could get an Ecler mixer I would go for it ASAP and I'm happy I did.

That's it so far, but hit me up if you have any questions about the Nuo or the DDM4000 (I had the DDM for a year).
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

damn this got no love. thanks for the review.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

thanks for the review gives me another good alternative =]

Tech Guru

haha thanks for the input. yeah I was wondering how it got like 40 views but no comments lol

Well, hopefully someone who actually knows how to use the Search feature here on the forums finds this one day for some help... bc I could barely find ANYTHING recent about the Nuo series.
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

how is the crossfader? is scratching possible on it? And is this one traktor certified or is that just the Evo series?
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

I'm pretty sure that the evo5 is the onl elcer mixer that is traktor scratch certified. You can scratch on the newer ones and their crossfader upgrade is supposed to be pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    how is the crossfader? is scratching possible on it? And is this one traktor certified or is that just the Evo series?
    I have a Nuo4. great mixer outside of the crossfader, it's definitely not sharp enough. I can do crabs cleanly on my old SK-6F but they sound muddy (if I can even get them to come out) on the nuo. Gonna buy an innofader this next week and I'll be set. I got mine on ebay for about $380 and it was pretty much brand new outside of the lower 1 (of 2) headphone jacks was broken. best dj purchase yet

The headphone output is probably an easy fix.

You should disassemble it and see if you can find a broken solder point anywhere around it.

The "noisy" headphone jack on my Behringer DDM4000 was due to a shoddy solder joint on the ground lead, I fixed it and the headphone jack sounds awesome now.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

Quote Originally Posted by exokinetic View Post
    The headphone output is probably an easy fix.

You should disassemble it and see if you can find a broken solder point anywhere around it.

The "noisy" headphone jack on my Behringer DDM4000 was due to a shoddy solder joint on the ground lead, I fixed it and the headphone jack sounds awesome now.
    it is. actually the only thing wrong with that jack is that the external connector has broken off, which is only a hot glue job.

Thanks for your thoughts on the Nuo4, $360 thats an awesome price to pick it up for! I've seen a few readers reviews of there own gear on the forums, it would be cool to see review posts like these turn in to a owners log. It's pretty hard to fault Skratchworw gear reviews but they obviously don't account for longevity.

@DJ Asand - What is the curve control like on the line fades? is it pos to adjust the curve to an instant cut like an xfade?

Maybe in years time, a little update on how the Nuo4 has done? info on how the more frequently used pots feel from the less busy pots and your personal pro's and con's ect
    Ok it may not be the most in exciting post but it could prove very helpful for potential buyers as maybe other owners would eventually chip in too.
    Last edited by Dubba Dutch; 05-01-2011 at 04:46 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast