DJTT Live 7 Smart Mixer - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

i'd love to test it as well! nspire@gmail.com

thanks man!

Tech Guru

can you send your newest version to me ;]

I own ableton 7 finally so will be able to tune it into my setup... when I get time that is... so maybe in 6 months.

Im in the middle of preparing v0.6 at the moment - i have been tweaking out the attack and release times on the compressors, still might need a bit of work but its sounding alot better.

Ok i just emailed everyone who has currently asked for it the new version - if anyone didnt recieve this email send me a PM with your details and ill put you on the smartmixer mailing list.

Bento, I'd like to try out your setup but right now I mix only with Traktor. I'm curious as to what your Traktor + Ableton set up looks like. What roles do each program play? What advantages do you get from using both? Originally I wanted to use Traktor for sampling and Ableton to add custom loops, synth pads, etc., but I felt like I simply didn't have enough hands or buttons (I'm using a BCD3000 with Axiom29), so I just programmed everything into Traktor.

So my question is, what am I missing out on using just Traktor, and how did you get it so that you weren't overwhelmed by 1000s of buttons?

Traktor and Ableton both approach playing in such radically different ways, each program having its own stengths and weaknesses.

In Traktor for instance its not so easy just to quickly pull a loop and start playing it out of nowhere - you need to find the song with the loop you wish to play, load it, move to the loop, then begin to play it. With ableton you just trigger the loop starts to play with is alot of less fussing around. Ableton also allows you much more freedom in how effects and everything is all chained together too which allows alot more freedom. I find Traktor just excels at the realtime manipulation of an mp3 file on the time - it has superiour looping, cue jumping and beatjumping functions which just generally allow you to get around a track with your midi controller in a way that Ableton doesnt even come close to.

Ableton also has on the fly live looping functions of its own which are a bit different from Traktors looping(which is still good) but is useful for capturing realtime manipulations of the mp3 then getting them looping.

Because of the ability to do so much rewiring and adding in of effects in Ableton it makes smartmixing possible which is impossible to do with Traktor by itself.

I dont even really have many of my buttons/knobs/faders labled and i still dont get confused - The key to not getting confused is to use LED feedback to tell you what modes your buttons are in aswell as having a really intuative mapping so you dont spend so much time thinking where everything is.

Tech Convert

Thank you so much Bento for this setup, it works just perfekt
    I use Virtual Audio Cable to route the audio from 2 decks in Traktor Pro to Ableton Live. Have you tried this smartmixing technique with more than 2 decks?

Quote Originally Posted by Steel View Post
    Thank you so much Bento for this setup, it works just perfekt
    I use Virtual Audio Cable to route the audio from 2 decks in Traktor Pro to Ableton Live. Have you tried this smartmixing technique with more than 2 decks?
    Its not easy to put in more decks but it is possible - ill come out with a 4 deck solution down the track but currently i want to make sure these 2 decks work really well. Its alot easier to tweak 2 decks and get them right than it is to do tweaks to 4 decks at this point in time, but as soon as i am happy that this 2 deck version is working as best as it can it will wont be as much work to expand this to 4 decks. I also plan on making a Moldover style setup that uses 2 decks + another 3 channels in Ableton for specific frequency ranges..

Tech Convert

I really appreciate your work and development that you also share with you. Big kudos to you Bento! I like this 2 deck version and I will use it in my setup. I look forward to a 4 deck version in a near future

No problem, glad you like it enough to want to implement it into your setup

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast