Ask Dr. Bento ! - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ask Dr. Bento !

Quote Originally Posted by kbear View Post
    If I use the breaker method of sample manipulation and open a nice kick or bass sample file ( anything low end really ) with a text editor, what are good letters or phrases to "search and replace", and with what do I replace them with , to get a unique glitchy sound without the wave file turning into bollocks and being unplayable?
    Wow now thats an interesting and unusual question !

Cant say i have have tried that form of sample manipulation before (databending?) but according to a bit of reading i have done your better to use mp3 files over wav files. Theres no hard or fast rules or likely things to replace x with y to get z result, experimentation seems like its key.

Personally though i would think that editing it in a photo shop program would be a bit more fun than just a text editor I also imagine it would give different results too but still remain quite glitchy.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Wow now thats an interesting and unusual question !

Cant say i have have tried that form of sample manipulation before (databending?) but according to a bit of reading i have done your better to use mp3 files over wav files. Theres no hard or fast rules or likely things to replace x with y to get z result, experimentation seems like its key.

Personally though i would think that editing it in a photo shop program would be a bit more fun than just a text editor I also imagine it would give different results too but still remain quite glitchy.
    oh snap! that just made my day I never actually thought of turning it into an image then manipulating it, that makes for crazy possibilitys! even changing the contrast or drawing on it has to give wacky results :eek:

You wouldn't happen to know about how a image header binary would work for audio would you? I know if I just append a .png or jpg the it wouldn't open, i would have to use some sort of "its this big/wide/ppi" type thing on the wave data part, but im clueless with photos headers.

Now im off to go see if I can turn images of funny cats into soundfiles, that no dought will sound like ungodly howls and screeching of demon robots thanks for the advice!

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kbear View Post
    oh snap! that just made my day I never actually thought of turning it into an image then manipulating it, that makes for crazy possibilitys! even changing the contrast or drawing on it has to give wacky results :eek:

You wouldn't happen to know about how a image header binary would work for audio would you? I know if I just append a .png or jpg the it wouldn't open, i would have to use some sort of "its this big/wide/ppi" type thing on the wave data part, but im clueless with photos headers.

Now im off to go see if I can turn images of funny cats into soundfiles, that no dought will sound like ungodly howls and screeching of demon robots thanks for the advice!
    http://www.uisoftware.com/MetaSynth/index.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9xMu...eature=related

skip to 5:28

This may be easily answered, but I'm still going to ask it here....I've been experimenting with the beatsmasher and the beatslicer (tpro) but I have a hard time understanding what each value doest exactly...could you (or point me at it) maybe explain that to me....

And how do i get the Bitches and Blow
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

What is the secret of life?

Why are me here?

Who am I?

Where are we heading?

What lies after death?

What is the real name of God?

work with those. I'll have more coming soon.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

I'll tell you when we get to page 300
    Dammit... I thought it would have something to do with 'over 9000'?
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    bento revealed...

and the little brother...

are you my mummy
    Spawnafunk(GHETTO SMURF)
    MPD 24,X1,Numark x9,Alesis M1 active,Sony Vaio,Audio dj 6,Traktor Pro 2,and an empty wallet

Quote Originally Posted by MRHISTAMINE View Post
    are you my mummy
    lol dude thats a kid(i think anyway) and its not me

Quote Originally Posted by Quenepas View Post
    What is the secret of life?

Why are me here?

Who am I?

Where are we heading?

What lies after death?

What is the real name of God?

work with those. I'll have more coming soon.
    The answer to all these questions and more is 42

The answer to all these questions and more is 42
    No it isn't

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast