Soundcut/soundcrack when changing banks launchpad
    Tech Mentor

Default Soundcut/soundcrack when changing banks launchpad

Sup boys

I've been mapping a step sequencer on my launch pad to work with my LIVID cntrl:r

I noticed a soundcut/soundcrack when changing bank on the launchpad:

bank 1 = decks ABD control + remix deck C somme commands + browser mode

bank 2 = full control for remix deck C

Soundcrack happens when I change bank1 to bank2 AND when I change bank2 to bank1
    It happens even if I only got one track playing on deck A while remix deck C is not playing.

Got any idea ?

Have a nice day

Tech Wizard

I have encountered this. I found it was caused by too many midi out led changes when changing banks

I used 2 solutions. 1. Increased the latency on the sound card but this was only useful for a small amount before latency became an issue. Or 2. Decreased the number of midi out led changes when moving between banks. You can have different functions but as long as the overall number of colour changes was low it stopped the cracks when moving layers.

Hope this helps.
    midi fighter twister, denon sc2000, launchpad mini, behringer mm1, behringer dv1, NI audio 2, traktor pro 2, 2xNumark TTX1, Gemini PS02 usb

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by griffkpuk View Post
    I have encountered this. I found it was caused by too many midi out led changes when changing banks

I used 2 solutions. 1. Increased the latency on the sound card but this was only useful for a small amount before latency became an issue. Or 2. Decreased the number of midi out led changes when moving between banks. You can have different functions but as long as the overall number of colour changes was low it stopped the cracks when moving layers.

Hope this helps.
    Yeah truth is I got shitloads of outs...
    I'll try your tip btw, cheers

Any other input?

i had a similar issue a few years ago with an original launchpad - same thing as griffkpuk says with too much midi being sent out from traktor combined with the launchpad being ridiculously slow. my workaround was to use midikatapult and virtual midiports - since then most of the led updating for page switches was sent directly from midikatapult to the launchpad so didnt affect traktor... then i moved onto writing my own midi middleware midimasher.

u could always try something similar - connecting virtual midi ports between traktor and the launchpad - should probably help but does add to the hassle if u werent going to be using them anyway...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    i had a similar issue a few years ago with an original launchpad - same thing as griffkpuk says with too much midi being sent out from traktor combined with the launchpad being ridiculously slow. my workaround was to use midikatapult and virtual midiports - since then most of the led updating for page switches was sent directly from midikatapult to the launchpad so didnt affect traktor... then i moved onto writing my own midi middleware midimasher.

u could always try something similar - connecting virtual midi ports between traktor and the launchpad - should probably help but does add to the hassle if u werent going to be using them anyway...
    Hey

The problem is probly coming from the 8cells x 4slots trigger from my step sequencer. I mapped it ableton like, colors change to yellow (when clip is loaded), green (clip playing), red (empty cell)... which is pretty nice but a color orgy...

Btw I spent more than 2xx hours in the last month mapping my controllers, I don't really feel like starting all over again. Traktor's controller manager is just a pain in the ass.
    Now I fast chekced your topic about intermediate midi mapping, I'm gonna have a look but I'm having the feeling it's gonna need time to get used to it

I could probly use loopbe but I don't really know how to set the ports, I'll also check that

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by trabz View Post
    Hey

The problem is probly coming from the 8cells x 4slots trigger from my step sequencer. I mapped it ableton like, colors change to yellow (when clip is loaded), green (clip playing), red (empty cell)... which is pretty nice but a color orgy...

Btw I spent more than 2xx hours in the last month mapping my controllers, I don't really feel like starting all over again. Traktor's controller manager is just a pain in the ass.
    Now I fast chekced your topic about intermediate midi mapping, I'm gonna have a look but I'm having the feeling it's gonna need time to get used to it

I could probly use loopbe but I don't really know how to set the ports, I'll also check that
    Regarding loopbe

I Set it up like this in traktor:

1)I added a generic midi; in (loopbe1) out (launchpad)
    2)I set both of my generic midi launchpad banks to be:
    bank1 in (launchpad) out (loopbe)
    bank2 in (launchpad) out (loopbe)

E: somethings wrong I'll run some tests cause I cannot use loop be as a generic midi in & as a generic midi out with the same software (traktor)
    Plus I don't have LED change when I bank change

How would you trick it?
    Last edited by trabz; 08-26-2015 at 09:00 AM.

i always connect traktor to a virtual midi device for both IN and OUT - then my midimasher software connects to the other ends of those ports and also my launchpads etc, routing the data.

so i have it connected like this, naming my virtual midi ports as "Traktor to MM" and "MM to Traktor"

Traktor -> "Traktor to MM" -> MidiMasher -> all midi controllers
    all midi controllers -> MidiMasher -> "MM to Traktor" -> Traktor

if its not possible to directly connect a loopBE port etc to a midi controller u could always stick midimasher in the middle using a config based on this one which will just route data between traktor and the launchpad:

Code:
    open_midi_device("traktor", "generic", "from traktor port", "to traktor port")
    open_midi_device("launchpad", "launchpad", "Launchpad", "Launchpad")

set_device_route("traktor", "launchpad")
    set_device_route_status("traktor", true)

set_device_route("launchpad", "traktor")
    set_device_route_status("launchpad", true)
    not sure how loopbe names its ports - think loopmidi allows u to name them how u want - which is what i last used before going mac...

obviously tho if youre going to the hassle of using virtual midi ports and running something like midimasher u could also do some mapping inside it

this was my first multi page launchpad mapping in midimasher with full 2 deck control, some virtual midifighters plus a mixer page etc - a bit out of date now tho with all the recent traktor functions etc...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

i really should build midimasher for windows again as well as mac and release the latest version - its literally been years... most people dont like using virtual midi ports so i hadnt posted about it for ages - but i always run traktor this way still... most recently while i cant really use midimasher with my D2's i use the new builtin step sequencer from midimasher to turn my F1 into a mini maschine using a remix deck (saves taking my maschine out when i dont need all the functionality)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    i always connect traktor to a virtual midi device for both IN and OUT - then my midimasher software connects to the other ends of those ports and also my launchpads etc, routing the data.

so i have it connected like this, naming my virtual midi ports as "Traktor to MM" and "MM to Traktor"

Traktor -> "Traktor to MM" -> MidiMasher -> all midi controllers
    all midi controllers -> MidiMasher -> "MM to Traktor" -> Traktor

if its not possible to directly connect a loopBE port etc to a midi controller u could always stick midimasher in the middle using a config based on this one which will just route data between traktor and the launchpad:

Code:

not sure how loopbe names its ports - think loopmidi allows u to name them how u want - which is what i last used before going mac...

obviously tho if youre going to the hassle of using virtual midi ports and running something like midimasher u could also do some mapping inside it

this was my first multi page launchpad mapping in midimasher with full 2 deck control, some virtual midifighters plus a mixer page etc - a bit out of date now tho with all the recent traktor functions etc...
    Ty for your input

I set it up like this using loop midi. The banks change but I don't have LED feedback at all.. Is it correct?Sans titre.jpg

I'll try the midimisher middleman when I figure out how it's working

/E; I made the following config file but it's not working told ya I was a noob

--
    -- lpd8 led fix
    --
    -- * route all data from the lpd8 to an app (like VDJ) and from the app back to the lpd8
    -- * if the lpd8 pad led is now not lit but the app has send midi to turn it on turn it back on
    --

-- define ports to send/recv (edit these 4 lines to match your setup)

app_in_port = "V:VDJ to MM"
    app_out_port = "V:MM to VDJ"

lpd8_in_port = "LPD8"
    lpdd_out_port = "LPD8"

-- open devices

-- route all midi from app (vjd, etc) to lpd8

set_device_route("app", "lpd8")
    set_device_route_status("app", true)

-- route all midi to app (even events we capture, hence the extra "0, true")

set_device_route("lpd8", "app", 0, true)
    set_device_route_status("lpd8", true)

-- fix led's for notes/cc's (defined as rows 0 to 3 in device definition file)

for row = 0, 3
    do
    for col = 0, 3
    do
    local btn = row .. "," .. col
    capture("lpd8", btn, ALL, 0, function(d, e, v, p)
    if v == 0 then
    -- see what last value had been sent to the lpd8 for this pad
    local val = get("lpd8", e)
    -- turn lpd8 pad back on if needed
    if val > 0 then
    send(d, e, ON)
    end
    end
    end)
    end
    end
    Last edited by trabz; 08-28-2015 at 08:46 AM.