Traktor Layout 'Hack' for 13inch Macbook & 2 Decks - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    Nice find, but with waveforms, especially this big, i doubt you are listening to your tracks, you're watching them.
    Kind of a paradox for a musician
    Haters gonna hate.

Seriously, what's wrong with looking at the waveform? If you're already using traktor as a musician, shouldn't you use every opportunity to better your skills. Waveforms offer a wealth of information about a song. You don't even have to hear a song, but can pick up the highs, lows, drops, breaks, etc just by looking at the waveform. I don't see how that is a bad thing. Being able to read a waveform doesn't make you a worst musician or dj, hands down, I would say it makes you a better one.
    nope.

I'm not hating. I used waveforms since i had traktor. But few weeks ago I figured out I didn't listen to my tracks like I used to. I was focused on waveforms with my eyes, not on the actual track with my ears.

What the crowd hears is the music, the sound. I thought that I was logical to focus on the same thing the crowd does. That made sense to me.

If your mixing style involves waveforms, I'm fine with that. But IMHO I'm 100% convinced it decrease the quality of your mix. Knowing every single part of every single track of your collection takes times, load of time, really. And I understand it's easier to go the waveform way.
    But I do believe that going 100% by ear will enhance the quality of what's going out of the master output. And that's what matters after all.

You don't even have to hear a song, but can pick up the highs, lows, drops, breaks, etc just by looking at the waveform.
    Or you can know your tracks by heart

I hear ya...and knowing the music you play is very important. I'm with you 100% on that, but I don't think we should avoid waveforms altogether. I think they can be very helpful but not something you should depend on. Still, when you load an old track that you might have lost touch with or have a new track you're not that familiar with, the waveform can be very helpful.
    nope.

Tech Convert

Hey guys, just a quick update. I found a way better solution to do this trick / hack!
    If you haven't read the original post yet, the basic idea is to have bigger waveforms when using 2 decks - this can be accomplished by putting Traktor into 4 deck mode, using deck A and C as output and resizing the width of the window by following these instructions (you will have to modify your mapping B->C if you use a controller). Basically it will look like this

How-To

■ download a code editor - e.g. BB Edit (trial) or Sublime Text (free)
    ■ on OSX go to (Windows users should have a similar folder somewhere)
    Code:
    /Users/YOU/Documents/Native Instruments/Traktor 2.5.X
    ■ copy and paste the file Traktor Setting.tsi to make a backup
    ■ open Traktor Setting.tsi in the code editor
    ■ scroll down to the very bottom, it will look something like this

Code:
    <Entry Name="View.Window.Size.X" Type="1" Value="1280"></Entry>
    <Entry Name="View.Window.Size.Y" Type="1" Value="800"></Entry>
    <Entry Name="WaveDisplay.GridMode" Type="1" Value="1"></Entry>
    <Entry Name="Wavedisplay.ColorMode" Type="1" Value="3"></Entry>
    <Entry Name="Wavedisplay.PlayMarkerPos" Type="1" Value="50"></Entry>
    <Entry Name="Wavedisplay.ShowMinuteMarkers" Type="0" Value="0"></Entry>
    <Entry Name="Wavedisplay.Stripeview" Type="1" Value="0"></Entry>
    <Entry Name="Wavedisplay.WarningClock" Type="1" Value="30"></Entry>
    <Entry Name="Wizard.Completed" Type="0" Value="1"></Entry>
    </TraktorSettings>
    </NIXML>
    ■ now just change this value to any size you want, this will be the new width of your Traktor window (you could try around 2000 on a 13inch)

Code:
    <Entry Name="View.Window.Size.X" Type="1" Value="1280"></Entry>
    ■ save & close, done!

Optional: Hide the Menubar (this will only affect Traktor, not other programs!)

■ Go to Programs -> Native Instruments -> Traktor 2
    ■ right click (or CTRL+click) on the Traktor Icon and choose Show Package Contents
    ■ open Contents -> open info.plist in the code editor
    ■ scroll down to the very bottom, it will look like this

Code:
    		<key>LSPrefersCarbon</key>
    		<true/>
    	</dict>
    </plist>
    ■ now add the following two lines, so it looks like this

Code:
    		<key>LSPrefersCarbon</key>
    		<true/>
    		<key>LSUIPresentationMode</key>
    		<integer>4</integer>
    	</dict>
    </plist>
    ■ save & close
    Last edited by Shazzy; 08-07-2012 at 07:10 PM.

I just tried this on my 11" Air with OS X Lion and set the value as 2,000 and also tried 2,400, but I don't see any difference whatsoever. What OS are you using?
    Last edited by sweetsound2001; 09-12-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lisarose416 View Post
    Have you guys ever found yourself facing this type
    None of your photos are loading!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsound2001 View Post
    I just tried this on my 11" Air with OS X Lion and set the value as 2,000 and also tried 2,400, but I don't see any difference whatsoever. What OS are you using?
    I am using Mountain Lion, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on Lion..
    You did close Traktor before you edited the file, right? If you are still using Textedit, you should try it with another editor (Sublime Text is free). Could you upload your file somewhere and post a link here so I can have a look? (dropcanvas)

Tech Guru

i dont see the point in this...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    i dont see the point in this...
    it makes more use of your screen real estate and therefore gives you more information and easier readability when playing with 2 decks... what's not to get?

Tech Guru

i get it...just dont see the need
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast