Traktor Layout 'Hack' for 13inch Macbook & 2 Decks
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Traktor Pro Layout 'Hack' for 13inch Macbook & 2 Decks [UPDATED with video]

### Please read this post for an easier, updated method to do this ###
    http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthr...l=1#post514985

Just a few points:
    - will work on OSX 10.8 now!
    - NI fixed the waveform bug on large displays with 2.5, so it will work with a 15inch, 17inch model now
    - should work the same way on windows (i have no way to try at the moment)

Old post, ignore these instructions:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi guys,
    I have been a long time reader of the forum but this is my first post. I have discovered a way to trick Traktor and MacOSX so you can alter the layout which is very useful for my setup. This would only be useful for you if you use 2 Decks and 2 FX units. It will hide some information, but give you much better overview of your two tracks in return (you will lose the sample decks and internal crossfader for example).

Since some of you asked, here is a video of it in action (this is not about mixing!):

You will basically have to use Deck A&C as Deck A&B and FX1&3 as FX1&2. Also you will have to toogle between Browser View and Deck View using the spacebar.

INSTRUCTIONS

Important information & How to revert back to normal

■ Due to a bug in Traktor 2 at high resolutions it is not wise to make the waveform wider than in the example image above. It would make the stripeview unusable. That's why it is a good idea to display the internal mixer & filter sections even if you are mixing externally. In Traktor Pro 1 you can fill the whole screen or a bigger display with the waveform.
    ■ You only have to do these steps once, as long as you never press the little plus button in the titlebar - if you need to see all decks you can switch to fullscren and back -> it should remember your layout
    ■ If you want to revert back to normal simply click the little green + button (or grey in my case) in the upper left corner. To show the menubar simply move your cursor to the top of the screen. To reset the menubar delete the two lines from step #2.

1# Preparation

■ Setup your traktor layout similar to mine (4 FX, 4 Decks, hide Crossfader...).
    ■ be sure to have your master set right & close Traktor

2# Hide the Menubar (this will only affect Traktor, not other programs!)

■ Go to Programs -> Native Instruments -> Traktor (2)
    ■ right click (or CTRL+click) on the Traktor Icon and choose Show Package Contents
    ■ open Contents -> open the info.plist with an editor
    ■ scroll down to the very bottom, it will look like this

Code:
    		<key>LSPrefersCarbon</key>
    		<true/>
    	</dict>
    </plist>
    ■ now add the following two lines, so it looks like this

Code:
    		<key>LSPrefersCarbon</key>
    		<true/>
    		<key>LSUIPresentationMode</key>
    		<integer>4</integer>
    	</dict>
    </plist>
    ■ save & close

3# Enlarge Layout

■ open Terminal (open Spotlight & type Terminal)
    ■ paste the following code and press enter

Code:
    defaults write com.native-instruments.Traktor AppleDisplayScaleFactor 0.5
    ■ open Traktor -> it should be half the size & look like this (don't freak out!)

■ drag the window to the upper left corner and resize it to this size
    ■ make sure the Browser columns are resized to roughly half of the windows width

■ close Traktor
    ■ open Terminal, paste the following code & hit enter

Code:
    defaults write com.native-instruments.Traktor AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1.0
    ■ open Traktor again -> done!

■ the layout might not be perfect yet, you may have to repeat step #3 and play around with the window size till you get it right...maybe you want to make it a bit smaller so you can see the master output
    ■ be sure to check the stripeview in Traktor Pro 2, if it's not working correctly your waveform is too wide!

4# 4 Decks

■ If you or I find a tool to set the X and Y position of the window with a keyboard shortcut or MIDI command, it would be possible to switch between Deck A&C and Deck B&D and use all four decks this way

Hope some will find this useful!
    Last edited by Shazzy; 08-07-2012 at 07:07 PM.

if you show us an actual result and not a photoshopped picture and i recon you'll get some interest.

Tech Convert

This is the actual result. It's a screenshot I took photoshopped onto a Macbook image, because a screenshot would just look like a cropped high resolution screenshot :P

This is what your Macbook will look like, you can't use Traktor in fullscreen mode, but the menubar will be hidden, so it is close to fullscreen (didn't find a way to hide the titlebar yet).

This is how the Browser Mode can look like (actual screenshot of my 1280px screen).
    Last edited by Shazzy; 04-10-2011 at 04:34 AM.

I like it. Toggling the browser is the way to go. You don't need it for 99% of the time, so why leave it visible, taking up valuable screen space when you're not using it?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

ok, so how do we do it?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Is it possible to do it a toggle backwards as well as another layout giving you decks B/D

I like it ... get those instructions up

Tech Convert

First post updated with instructions!
    @deevey: See point #4

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Please post instructions to revert back to normal.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

very interesting idea I wish NI would just give us better layout options mainly decks either side by side or op top of one another like this setup has. Thanks for posting.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Tech Convert

@photojojo: revert instructions added to first post.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast