First DJ controller - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

S4. I just started DJing a few months ago and honestly, the S4 has been perfect for me. I've supplemented with an LPD8 just recently because I wanted some custom midi maps and such as well. However a controller isn't all you need. So far I have purchased (in addition to the S4) the aforementioned LPD8, M-Audio AVS40's, a table to throw my gear on and practice, and reloop rhp-10 heaphones (which I will probably be upgrading soon, should have gone with the TMA-1's). I still need to get a bag, which is another 130.

To be honest, there was way too much compromise with the other gear. That and you had to purchase the full version of any software they were packaged with to get the full functionality. I can't stand compromise when buying things because it just leads to me being wholly disappointed. If you can live with compromise than go the cheaper route to see if you like it, but for me it's always head-first dive (within reason) or nothing at all. The s4 has made learning such an awesome experience (besides the small driver problems I had at the outset) and the all-in-one solution has been anything but limiting.

It's great to get so many opinions on this and wanted to thank everyone for replying. It seems to me that the S4 is the way to go with the integrated sound card and software as well. I'm at least a month away from having that kind of money save up though, so I downloaded the demo of Traktor and have been spending hours each day trying to figure everything out so that when I finally do get my S4, I'll be somewhat competent at using it. I'm having a great time doing it and am convinced that I am going to enjoy doing this and am determined to get good at it. On a quick side note, I've had the Beats by Dre headphones [the studio ones] for about a year now and know that they aren't made for Djing, but I was going to be using them when I first start out. Are there any major negatives to this? Thanks again guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ultratyght View Post
    It's great to get so many opinions on this and wanted to thank everyone for replying. It seems to me that the S4 is the way to go with the integrated sound card and software as well. I'm at least a month away from having that kind of money save up though, so I downloaded the demo of Traktor and have been spending hours each day trying to figure everything out so that when I finally do get my S4, I'll be somewhat competent at using it. I'm having a great time doing it and am convinced that I am going to enjoy doing this and am determined to get good at it. On a quick side note, I've had the Beats by Dre headphones [the studio ones] for about a year now and know that they aren't made for Djing, but I was going to be using them when I first start out. Are there any major negatives to this? Thanks again guys.
    From what I hear, they break very, very easily when put up against the stress of DJing, headbanging to your music (I do), and throwing them in a fully loaded bag. If you're just bedroom DJing, they will probably be fine for now, but I'd seriously consider getting a different set of headphones if you ever go out to DJ. Plus I hear you can get much better sound and build quality from cheaper headphones but there will always be haters out there.

Hey man,

just saw your post just now. I'm a member over on digitaldjtips.com, you should check that site out for in depth reviews at all the various price levels.

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/category/dj-equipment/

Check out the link. This is a very very invaluable site if you are just starting out and want solid opinions on gear, mixing tips, and information on how to land that first gig and such. Really great site.

I know I am going to incur some wrath here, but have you thought of the numark mixtrack pro? 2 decks, all the knobs you need if you are just starting out, built in sound that is quite decent and jogs that are really great for the price: $250. You could always buy this, practice for a few months and sell it down the road for $150-200. I can't say I took this route, I ended up with a DN-MC6000, but I am somewhat reckless with my spending habits. BTW the DN-MC6k is a great unit, works perfect with traktor and has more inputs and outputs than the S4, but it doesnt come with traktor, so thats something to consider. Still both of those are the best units you can get for under $1k.

STAY AWAY FROM THE VMS4. There are horror stories about the shoddy sound quality and overall glitches. It looks nice on the outside, but from what I hear the unit is poorly built.

Also, one last note: Beats color your sound. They sound bass heavy because the headphones have a microprocessor built into them to enhance your bass, definitely not something you want when you are trying to accurately mix. There are plenty of choices out there, and many decent sets for around $60-100 if you are starting out. Check out Shure, Senheisser, or AKG or KRK.

Don't worry, I was and still am in your boat. I just started a few months ago, and there is alot to learn, it seems pretty overwhelming. Just take your time with it and learn something new everyday.

Tech Wizard

I have a friend whos looking to pickup his first piece of equipment. He's been doing parties and stuff with other people's equipment and denon rack based equipment. I have owned 1200s and my pioneer mixer and have sold all that for a s4 (also to consolidate for space, as I had none left). I loovvvvvvvve my s4. I'm trying to convince him to go for s4. His play style isn't advanced enough to need more more than just two or four decks playing. He hasn't done looping and such. Originally he was looking at an Xone DX and I told him it was a pretty good unit but the smaller buttons weren't something I'd like to use. The other alternatives don't seem to be really worth it.

Personally, I love the s4 and if you're new to DJing it definitely makes it fun. LOTS of fun.
    MBP & a i5-2500k/asus p8p67 pro/8gb (1600mhz)ram/ Win7 x64 - Kontrol S4 - KRK 5s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12