First DJ controller
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First DJ controller

Hey guys,
    I'm interested in purchasing my first piece of DJ equipment and am hoping to eventually start playing small parties and lounges and eventually work my way up to playing clubs if everything goes well [long way away, I know]. I was wondering if there were any particular controllers you guys recommend as good beginner controllers without spending a fortune. I don't plan on scratching much as I'm primarily going to be spinning trance and progressive house [electro house as well]. I'm planning on using Traktor as my software and understand that I would have to map it out myself if the hardware doesn't come with Traktor. Here's a couple I've been considering:
    Low Tier:
    Hercules DJ 4Set: Apparently this just got released this past week and I've been waiting to hear reviews on it. It's hard not to like the $250 price tag for a 4deck controller but I understand the quality won't be the best. With the limited amount of buttons on the controller, I'd consider getting a midiFighter for extra loops, effects, etc.
    Mid Tier:
    American Audio VMS4 ($499)
    Hercules dj console 4-mx ($499)
    Vestax VCI-100SE ($549)
    Not too sure which way to go from this range, don't know if the extra quality really over the lower tier is really makes up for doubling the price. Would love some opinions.
    High Tier [for me lol]:
    Traktor Kontrol S4
    Denon DN-MC6000

Sorry for the long post, but any help is appreciated! Thanks guys!

125 views and no replies? haha any and all help/advice is appreciated, I'm just trying to get someone with a little more experience to give me their opinion. if not for specific controllers, at least what tier to aim for?

Do you have any experience with traktor? I'd reccomend before throwing any cash down on a controller, try out the different softwares and map your keyboard first.. A keyboard mapped right will do you just fine while learning the basics and then you can either save more for a better controller, do more research, or you might even decide this whole thing isn't for you..

IMO.
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

Consider the fact that with a kontrol s4 you save 200 bucks or so on tp2, and that with a vci you would need a soundcard too... Get the s4. Also allows you to add dvs if you want to in the future for cheap. Better to get good kit now than waste 250 bucks on a controller you will replace quickly. I agree with m00n about the keyboard too. You can get a feel, see if you like it, then get the s4.
    Last edited by keeb; 04-11-2011 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Incomplete post

I would recommend any of the controllers listed here, they all work well, some with minor glitches for certain functions, some with major glitches for certain functions, but they all do what they are supposed to well. I own a Kontrol S4 and love it to death. It does everything that I need it to do and more. If you don't want to dish out all of the cash for that, the VCI 100 is another great option and it has a huge amount of mappings available from your trusty friends at DJTT.

If you plan on just trying DJing out and aren't set on it, I'd say go with a cheaper controller, but if you plan on sticking with it, it may be a better call to spend more earlier. The best way to see if DJing is something that you will stick with is going to your local guitar center, and messing around with their DJ setups. Normally the people around the store know what they're doing, so if you need a quick lesson they will probably enjoy teaching someone for once instead of peddling warranties. They might even give you a bit of a hookup price if you treat them nicely. If you are having the time of your life messing about with these setups, DJing is probably for you, so I'd say toss more into it. As you will learn over time, in Professional Audio, the more you dish out in the initial investment (again assuming that you stick with what you're doing) the longer it will last you. This is especially present in Controllers, where the brand name won't necessarily bump the price of the unit up a couple hundred dollars, or drop it a few hundred (Except in the case of the Pioneer Mixers/Controllers). You will essentially get what you pay for. If you were to ask me right here what controller to get, I would say the S4. It is made by the people who made traktor, for people who use traktor, so it will continue to be functional for quite some time. If you were to ask me what controller I'd get if I were not sure about DJing I'd say a Numark Mixtrack Pro or the Hercules DJ 4 Set.

Your question about the doubling of price with the higher tier controllers is an important one for everyone to ask, and my answer is, well...yes. You will see that in these controllers the build quality is much higher, and with the controllers having onboard soundcards, the quality of the soundcards is generally much higher. This might start sounding like a broken record, but I think you get the point. If you spend more earlier, the initial investment will end up paying itself off.
    MacBook Pro 13" 8GB RAM | Traktor Kontrol S4 | 2x Technics 1200Mk5 TTs | Yamaha Motif ES8 | M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 Controller | M-Audio Audiophile AV 30/40 Speakers | Pioneer HDJ-2000 | MIDI Fighter |

http://soundcloud.com/fullkontrol

Hello ultratyght, i was in your case not long ago, had just about the same budget and was looking at two of the controllers you mentioned. The only thing, i did not want to double up my budget, so i stayed on a $350 to $400 range. I tried three controllers which were:
    Hercules dj console 4-mx ($499)
    Vestax VCI-100SE ($549)
    Mixvibes U-Mix Control Pro ($350)

I did not like the hercules controller, you have to have little hands, the controller is very heavy and not very convinient to use to my opinion. The vestax VCI-100SE was very good but it did not have an integrated soundcard so would of had to invest more money in an external soundcard (tight budget constraints...). And finally i tried the U-Mix Control Pro, the controller was nice, the build quality was pretty good and the faders were tight, it fitted my needs, so i went on and bought it! Now i really love the controller, it's a safe purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by Yep. View Post
    If you plan on just trying DJing out and aren't set on it, I'd say go with a cheaper controller, but if you plan on sticking with it, it may be a better call to spend more earlier.
    This. Don't spend more than necessary, but then again don't let yourself end up having to spend money twice (or 3 times as I did).

If you want everything you need in one with very high quality to boot, I'd suggest the S4. You suggest the VCI as a mid range option, but bear in mind that you'll need a soundcard (I recommend the NI audio 2 DJ) and SOFTWARE, which will cost you probably another couple of hundred bucks.

The S4 gives you all the above for a good price. And happens to be a great controller.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

S4's are fetching pretty decent prices on the used market.

Just sayin.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

People be realising that an all in one solution is UBER limiting...
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

I dno, never had one. I liked the S4 when i tried it but to be fair I also knew that I'd want my midifighter and probably X1 as well on the side.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast