Ableton 8 Announcement Thread - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by midian View Post
    Dooo iiiit.

I seriously am seeing less and less reason for traktor. The only one being is if you really like having platters.

Especially with looping n such ableton is soooo much powerful and the advantage of combing production and DJing is total joy.

word i enjoy the feeling of mixing/beatmatching live with traktor, it feels more like classic mixing with turntables.. which is why I've stuck with traktor for DJing.

ableton takes a bunch of pre-programming to dj with, and your not doing any beatmatching/mixing live since it's all been programmed before hand. Way less fun and unimpressive in my opinion.

well i don't see how using ableton is less fun and unimpressive, but i know its your opinion but i feel as if its very closed minded.

yes alot of stuff is pre-programed but that opens alot more possibilities to do alot more things

as in

Live P.A
    crazy on the fly mash up
    mixing for than 4 decks
    the fx is just wild in ableton

i mean its all in how you use it, at first i only used 2 decks and get bored but as soon as i dug deeper into ableton and started using 3 deck choppin songs up and using accapella i started having fun and putting on a better show at my parties.

I am not trying to hate on you just want to let you in on ableton to show you that it can be fun and more impressive than you think it is.
    www.myspace.com/djxsquizet
    my arsenal:
    2x vestax pdx, numark dxm09, m-audio x session pro, and ableton live 6.

I spin hip hop/electro/top 40

my 10minmix video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAgSmaG4zM

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Dont tell me im the only one who thinks this is totally friggen epic ?
    is the best thing I’ve heard for years. MAX/MSP was missing an audio/midi sequenser but with Live now the possibilities are endless. i can imagine from now the midi routting options and configurations you can make inside Live :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    -dIm-
    - Acer5050 Amd Turion 2Ghz 2GB RAM - Echo Indigo Dj - Audio DJ 8 - VESTAX VCI-100 SE - Ecler Nuo 4 - X-Session - Trigger Finger - Korgkaoss Pad Entrancer - Korg MicroKontrol - Novation25SL - 2 x Tec1210.
    Dj software - TraktorDj 3.3 - Traktor Scratch 1.2

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djxsquizet View Post
    well i don't see how using ableton is less fun and unimpressive, but i know its your opinion but i feel as if its very closed minded.

yes alot of stuff is pre-programed but that opens alot more possibilities to do alot more things

as in

Live P.A
    crazy on the fly mash up
    mixing for than 4 decks
    the fx is just wild in ableton

i mean its all in how you use it, at first i only used 2 decks and get bored but as soon as i dug deeper into ableton and started using 3 deck choppin songs up and using accapella i started having fun and putting on a better show at my parties.

I am not trying to hate on you just want to let you in on ableton to show you that it can be fun and more impressive than you think it is.
    traktor has 4 deck support which i take full advantage of.. you can rock acapellas no problem and do mashups. theres tons of opportunity for doing mad tricks, most people don't use it in this way but I assure you that I make the most of what traktor3 offers.

what i meant by ableton djing is unimpressive was that since its preprogrammed beatmatching/mixing, a lot of the work is already done for the DJ before the performance. Now with the exception of some of the controllerists who take full advantage of ableton by doing ultra complex mixes with fx, more than 4 channel track mixing at a time, complex looping/chopping, i'd say most of the guys are doing very unimpressive live shows with ableton considering what the software offers.

im not dissing ableton the software, but most abletonDJs I've seen play out are doing pretty uninspiring stuff with the software considering how powerful it is.

ok i understand you alot better no with that example, yea i totally agree with you there are alot of dj's out there that are not doing anything, its like why not just use serato or pcdj.

but once a person learns and actually digs deep into ableton there is endless possibilities. Like I am trying to get into more live p.a style stuff and with the new live looper perfect.

but its also all in how you use your program.
    my arsenal:

my 10minmix video

Tech Guru

yes i find the live pa stuff really fascinating myself. Ableton 8 is very interesting to me with the new warp feature. The previous warp was a little difficult for me to get right, so I'm excited about the new version it looks much more user friendly. Can't wait to try it out!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    i'd say most of the guys are doing very unimpressive live shows with ableton considering what the software offers.
    What about the Traktor DJs that waist time Beatmatching when the Traktor will do it for them? doesn't that fall into the same catagory?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sheph View Post
    What about the Traktor DJs that waist time Beatmatching when the Traktor will do it for them? doesn't that fall into the same catagory?

depends what genre they are playing. I play mixed genre or mash-up which features many classic rock,jazz,blues tunes that don't have a set BPM.... so really the only way to beatmatch properly is by doing it manually, or I could cheat and warp the tunes in Ableton.... but wheres the fun in that? :P

as for techno djs who don't take advantage of the beatmarker feature, you are absolutely right. But I do not fall into that category of DJs.

it took a while for me to get the warping in ableton 6 but i finally did alot of trial and error, so this new warping feature will be very interesting.

but my next buy will be a trigger finger, really in need of a second controller, then after that saving up for the apc40 and live 8.
    my arsenal:

my 10minmix video

Theres still alot of stuff that Ableton doesnt do that Traktor can, Ableton still isnt the best software to use for deck looping, beatjumps, perparation time to prepare tracks for djing still isnt that crash hot - it takes ages to do the same thing you can do really quickly in traktor.

I still think the best setup to dj with personally is Traktor routed into Ableton to take advantage of the strengths of both programs

If you were just going to pick one or the other though i can see how Ableton is turning into an attractive option though.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast