traktor pro - noob q's and WTF!!1 - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Tech Mentor

hey Marusan - ha i was looking in the effects list for something called AK1

i was using macbook sound card as im still in bed sick and have been using that for a couple of days

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Thats a cue pause, it will play for as long as you have the button held down. If you dont want it to pause then while holding the cue button hit play then release them both and the track will keep going forward

bentosan ...
    - if a track is not playing and i click one of the numbered hotkeys to jump to a place in the track then it will play a small part of the position where i have just jumped to... i know if you hold the numbered key in it will continue to play but i am only clicking on the hotkey to jump to a position so it is ready to play - i think you should be able to click onto a hotkey to cue it without it playing part of where you have jumped to
    Mac book pro 10.5.6 (2ghz - 2Gb), Traktor Pro, NI Audio kontrol, Novation 25SL, Korg Kaoss Pad, Evolution x-session, Ableton Live 7.0.12

Tech Mentor

hey chaps

reinstalled remote driver and now working in traktor - thought you might like to hear something positive from me for a change

took a while though ... i ve been assigning midi to the controls and traktor does nt recognize them until i ve quit it and re-opened it but ... compared the hell i ve had the last few days im happy

im gonna have some time on the gridding thing and if im still having problems i might hassle you for that video Dvls - if you have time that is

quick questions´s - when you are setting a grid do you have things like sync, snap and quantize buttons off or does nt it matter

one other q ... why does a track that is listed as a certain bpm in the trak browser show a different bpm on loading it to a deck?

how did the gig go DV?
    Mac book pro 10.5.6 (2ghz - 2Gb), Traktor Pro, NI Audio kontrol, Novation 25SL, Korg Kaoss Pad, Evolution x-session, Ableton Live 7.0.12

Quote Originally Posted by buzby View Post
    quick questions´s - when you are setting a grid do you have things like sync, snap and quantize buttons off or does nt it matter
    Ill tell you what i do when i am placing a grid.

I find a sample thats on the beat and i put a 1/32 loop on it, i then use the loop out move feature, set that on x-fine and move the end of the loop back as far as i can until you get this horrible whining noise. I then put the move mode to loop and leave the control as extra fine, ill then move the tiny tiny tiny loop back until its JUST before the sample hits. When the tiny loop is on the sample its making a loud noise, and as you move it back before you will hear the volume drop off. Basicly you want the loop to be just before the noise goes loud all of a sudden, with snap off drop a cue point here and then turn it into a grid.

As long as that sample was on time your grid should be set in the perfect position - you then just need to tweak the tempo from here.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

The gig went fine. Got offered a better paying monthly residency at another venue (negotiations pending) and I might start working with, like, one of the only other goth/industrial DJs in the NYC area without some sort of chemical dependency. Might not have had the biggest dance floor, but I rocked the fuck out.

Anyway, yeah, I can get to a beatgridding video sooner then later. Like I said, for me it's all just natural at this point. Let me get some screen capture stuff and a video editing thing and I'll throw something together.

You want to have the sync button off, in my opinion. The BPM won't be perfect initially and it's going to lock it to the master clock, if it's set, and that just fucks with everything. The snap I usually keep on if the music is simple cause usually the spikes aren't that far off with the edm I mix with when I first load.

Quantize, well, I still haven't figured out how that effects my controls, exactly. I know it keeps my hits in time, which is handy, but I think it fucks wth my looping. Something like that. meh, been a long weekend.

Regardless, my technique for gridding is a lot more basic than Bento's (not a critique).

I'll do a basic tutorial or something soon. It's late and I'm tired.

Good to hear things are going a bit better.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

congrats on the gigs man ....

as far as the gridding goes, pro seems to be giving me and easier time, im wondering if the third install down the trick, wondering if the gridding was a bit bent along with everything else the first time round

i have tn tried your idea yeat bento.san as i have nt had a difficult grid to deal with but will give it a try if i come across something tricky

anyways - hopefully this brings this thread to a close

laterz

In regards to the sync not staying on:

I had that problem too when I 1st started (been using Traktor Pro for about 4 months). I stumbled upon a youtube video somewhere along the lines with a title like "making sync work in Traktor Pro" (sorry, at work now so I cant search youtube…Ean also just made one for Traktor pro…check all videos from his profile on youtube…GOOD stuff).

Anyway the way the guy explained it was:

1) set the auto-grid marker at the 1st beat and hit the sync button on the deck

2) have manual clock and ticker on

3) match "phase" and ticker by ear with the nudge buttons then move the grid (not BPM increment) left or right until the phase display is perfectly in the middle (i.e. no yellow to the left or right)

4) LOCK IT

Now, auto-grid is not always the best method as many will tell you but actually...with 95% of all my EDM tracks....this method above works just fine (and I have the analyze on load option on too).

One thing to note is that if you are working with wavs or mp3s that have been recorded off vinyl…you will have some drift (nature of the medium) and you will most likely then have to grid manually in Ableton depending upon how warped it is (no pun intended). Also…watch out for any split second “skips” in your purely digital files too. I had one of these sumabitches last night (perfect sounding grid job that just craped out 2/3 of the way). I scrubbed the track and found split second skip where the file just sounded like a record skipping (corrupt download or something). Anyway, I had to fix it in Ableton (still skips the beatgrid stays on and so it stays in tempo)

An other thing I've run into is that sometimes Traktor "guesses" the BPM wrong (a 126BPM track is read as 60BPM down in the grid panel). In my experience, the sync button lights half way in these cases. I fix it by hitting the x2 or /2 buttons to get it more in the ball park or manually dialing it in)

On a side not I just sort of "learned" how to beat grid a track in Ableton and export it. I wasnt really aware of the fact that Traktor read the Ableton info it tags the files with.

(btw...Im having to "normalize" these exports in Ableton on export or the track shows up very faintly in regards to the waveform analyze job and volume. It does not seem to have an affect, other than volume, on the sound...which is good. Can anybody confirm this?)

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011