SSD/HDD Upgrade - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: SSD/HDD Upgrade

yeah, ive heard recognizing it isnt the problem most times, but the os tends to crash.

i dont particuarlly believe that.... i feel like its just bad ram that those people bought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Well I haven't had any problems with mine, but i know there is indeed such a thing as shit RAM.

I suppose I should have done my speed upgrades one at a time so I could tell which made the most difference, but i definitely recommend them to anyone! This is like when I upgraded my VCI firmware and saw how awesome it really had the potential to be.

As an update to my earlier post, I'm actually only using around 50gb of the SSD at the moment, leaving me with a hell of a lot spare. I'm considering making a copy of my Traktor collection (distinct from my general iTunes music collection) and keeping it on the SSD, but we'll see how we go. Any ideas on what would be advantageous to keep on there?

First things first, portal 2
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

bah! everyone keeps buying that for pc! i have it for xbox!!!!!!

yeah everything to run my computer came out to about 50gb leaving me with 10 on my ssd.

i mean good for just running the os. but not for anything else... but i was poorer at the time. --- i would deff keep my traktor collection (which is all my music) on there if i could. i bet shit would be even snappier.... but i dont notice much of a lag with mine at all right now.... deff better than before.

Tech Student

About a year ago, I upgraded my HDD to a 1TB drive (I forget the brand/model). This past week, I ordered an MCE Optibay and a Crucial M4 256 GB SSD. As of right now, about 650GB of storage space is taken up on my 1TB HDD. All I want to use the SSD for is primarily just DJing, ie. Traktor, Midi-Fighter, my Dj Sets/Playlists/Music, and all of the associated drivers for both Traktor and my Midi-fighter. After reading this article and posts, I'm confused about how to go about accomplishing what I want to. It seems that most people who do this SSD Double Swap are upgrading both their HDD to a drive with a larger capacity, while also installing a SSD at the same time, whereas I already upgraded my HDD a year ago, and have since used up 650GB of its space. So basically now all I want to do is replace my optical drive with my new SSD drive, and transfer my DJing stuff, ie. Traktor, Midi-Fighter, my Dj Sets/Playlists/Music, and all of the associated drivers for both Traktor and my Midi-fighter Can anyone please help me with some instructions on how to achieve what I want to do? Thanks so much!

we replaced the boot drive (in your case your 1tb HDD) with the SSD -- as when using the SSD as your boot drive, apps/programs/the OS runs MUCH smoother. running the HDD in the Optibay slot doesnt affect its performance on the at all, whereas booting from the optibay causes some issues in response time, loading...ect...

so yes, you could achieve it, the same way as we did. but i would highly suggest putting the SSD in the main drive slot (especially if your booting off of it) and the HDD in the optibay

dont know what kinda laptop you have, but i know my '09 MB doesnt accept a 1 tb drive as its too thick (had to settle for 750gb )

Tech Student

yeah well i was planning on doing that, putting the SSD in the original hard drive bay and then putting my HDD in the Optibay. However, my real question/concern is: how do I transfer all of my computer settings, DJing/production software, drivers, music, Traktor settings, etc. onto the SSD? My plan right now is to use the SSD as primarily just my drive for DJing and production, but I don't really understand how to transfer all of the associated "stuff" because right now I have all of the "stuff" on a 1TB HDD, and my new SSD is only 256GB, so it's not as if I can just restore it from a time machine backup or anything. Can you please help me out with this? Maybe some step by step instructions for specifically what i am trying to do? I'd really really appreciate it. Thanks!

Just made a thread regarding SSD's before seeing this one and I would be interested im nesquigs whole experience with this specially a comparison between old new drive performace
    Erase. Stop. Start.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    we replaced the boot drive (in your case your 1tb HDD) with the SSD -- as when using the SSD as your boot drive, apps/programs/the OS runs MUCH smoother. running the HDD in the Optibay slot doesnt affect its performance on the at all, whereas booting from the optibay causes some issues in response time, loading...ect...

so yes, you could achieve it, the same way as we did. but i would highly suggest putting the SSD in the main drive slot (especially if your booting off of it) and the HDD in the optibay

dont know what kinda laptop you have, but i know my '09 MB doesnt accept a 1 tb drive as its too thick (had to settle for 750gb )

yeah well i was planning on doing that, putting the SSD in the original hard drive bay and then putting my HDD in the Optibay. However, my real question/concern is: how do I transfer all of my computer settings, DJing/production software, drivers, music, Traktor settings, etc. onto the SSD? My plan right now is to use the SSD as primarily just my drive for DJing and production, but I don't really understand how to transfer all of the associated "stuff" because right now I have all of the "stuff" on a 1TB HDD, and my new SSD is only 256GB, so it's not as if I can just restore it from a time machine backup or anything. Can you please help me out with this? Maybe some step by step instructions for specifically what i am trying to do? I'd really really appreciate it. Thanks!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456