SSD/HDD Upgrade - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SSD/HDD Upgrade

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

So long as your existing drive has under the capacity of the new disk used yeah It makes life ALOT easier.

I was working on the assumption that the existing drive was over the capacity of the SSD.

If that isnt the case though, yeah, just clone to SSD, and plonk your home folder on the second drive. choose the new home folder in the acc prefs, reboot and job done

NOTE: if your SSD is big enough probably better JUST to point to the itunes library to the HDD in optibay rather than the entire home folder, should be faster as the only thing being accessed from the "slow drive" would be the MP3's / Wavs / Movies
    Last edited by deevey; 03-31-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    psy, how are you going about doing it? are you replacing both drives? youve done this before? wanna do a step by step thing? im so scared of breaking my baby ( i fucked up alot of computers in the past while upgrading them and what not -- cant really afford to have that happen with my macbook as i dont have the time to fiddle with it for hours on end)
    I'm planning on putting the WDSB320 she has in an external enclosure into the mbp as main os drive, and the WDSB750 as secondary. Reinstall OSX from scratch.

The guide deevey posted looks good, I'll be following it myself.

I've never opened a macbook, but from working on many other laptops, here's some tips:

-Patience, do not rush it
    -No force. If you're using too much force, you'll break it. There's probably a screw or latch that you missed
    -A set of precision screwdrivers or jewellers screw drivers. Those screws are small
    -In order to not loose those tiny screws, toss them in a bowl or cup so they don't go evaporating off your desk

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    I've heard the scorpio blacks absolutely rape your battery life. I've got a 750GB scorpio blue on the way along with a 240GB Vertex 2. Looked at the Vertex 3 but those things cost a BOMB.
    Yeah, they do... the higher the rpm, the more juice they suck back. Curious to see what a 10K rpm velociraptor would do to a battery. But personally, we don't care about battery life as we're always plugged in... drive performance is more important to us since my gf vjs w/ the mbp.

Cheers!

m.
    mixes at: http://soundcloud.com/psylozen

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning how to dance in the rain."

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    So long as your existing drive has under the capacity of the new disk used yeah It makes life ALOT easier.

I was working on the assumption that the existing drive was over the capacity of the SSD.

If that isnt the case though, yeah, just clone to SSD, and plonk your home folder on the second drive. choose the new home folder in the acc prefs, reboot and job done

NOTE: if your SSD is big enough probably better JUST to point to the itunes library to the HDD in optibay rather than the entire home folder, should be faster as the only thing being accessed from the "slow drive" would be the MP3's / Wavs / Movies
    what do you mean man? my ssd is only 60, the original drive was 250 gb, so its obviously bigger.... so the way you described is the way i should go about doing it? using the old drive as an external and backing everything up that way?

and as for your note, what should i theoretically be putting on the SSD? ive heard only OSX, and heard i could put other things on there as well (but 60gb isnt huge so i dont wanna get close to maxing it out) but without TRIM support i cant keep writing/reading the SSD without losing data? am i correct in that?

guys this is really helping me out, im not too worried about the installation of the hardware (as ive played with swapping hardware outta other computers -- only one laptop tho), more the data swap and re installation of the OS and making sure everything works the way it should (or does now) ya know?

i love this place. getting me away from doing actual work and helping me make my computer a beast in teh meantime :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

what do you mean man? my ssd is only 60, the original drive was 250 gb, so its obviously bigger.... so the way you described is the way i should go about doing it? using the old drive as an external and backing everything up that way?
    Sorry I was answering fullenglishpoint (he's talking 250gb ssd)..

Follow my method for your disk size...It'll utilize your SSD for OSX + Applications only, while utilizing your 1TB for home folder.

Oh Almost forgot, turn off spotlight on your SSD.

And read this regarding OSX and Trimming

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/app...-trim-in-osx/1
    Last edited by deevey; 03-31-2011 at 02:07 PM.

aiight thanks man. if anyone else has any tips or tricks or has done this before it would be cool to hear about what you ran into doing an upgrade like this.

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    aiight thanks man. if anyone else has any tips or tricks or has done this before it would be cool to hear about what you ran into doing an upgrade like this.
    +1
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Damn guys, you just induced major gearlust in me
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

It's not a cheap upgrade man, don't max out the credit card!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Nah, I'm not going to, but you guys reminded me that I had thought of upgrading RAM and HDD (and then of course the SSD thing in combination with a normal disk in the optibay sounds very attractive). Nothing for right now though - I'm also somewhat keen on getting another controller (probably a DN-SC2000) for T2 as a single X1 doesn't seem sufficient.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

lol sorry dawg. i cant wait to get it up and running. been waiting 3 days on the optibay caddy to get here.... its killing me. didnt come today so hopefully monday.

quick question tho, as i dont have an external, would it be possible to pop the 1tb in teh optibay like i was planning on (with my 250 gb hdd still as the boot drive) -- and copy all the files to the 1tb drive. shut it down, open er up and pop the ssd in as teh boot drive and install the OS from my 8gig flashdrive then copy applications over to the SSD from the 1tb??

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast