Traktor pro 2 routed to ableton - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

There will be very little difference doing this with a DJM 900 vs. an Audio 10 and Xone 92. The DJM 900 effectively has an Audio 8 built into it (input/output wise anyway, not sure about the actual technology of the soundcard). When you route audio into Ableton, it sends the audio to Ableton before your soundcard, and then it sends the audio to the channels on your soundcard which then go to the mixer. The 900 setup only differs because with the soundcard built into the mixer, it can send a digital signal directly into the DSP (digital sound processor) instead of converting to an analog signal before sending into the DSP (like the Audio 10 setup would). Now the Xone is an analog mixer, so you actually wouldn't be sending Audio to the DSP, it would stay analog during the mixing process; but, if you're setting up with a DJM 800 or another digital mixer you are adding a DAC (digital to analog converter) step in there which theoretically can add some latency and decrease sound quality.

As for the two mixers, the choice comes down to whether you like 4 or 3 band EQ. The 92 is an awesome mixer with great sound quality and fantastic filters so you can't go wrong with it. However, some DJs are not fans of the 4 band EQ, and if you get used to 4 band then 3 band could be a bit tougher to use if you play on another mixer. Also, with the 92 you're limited to Traktor's effects unless you get an external effects unit whereas with the 900 you get much better sounding effects with significantly better routing (and ability to use them post-fader which is huge). Then there's getting used to Pioneer workflow with the 900 which will help if you're playing out at clubs since it's a pretty standard install to have an 800/900. Personally I would (and have) go with the 900, but the 92 is an awesome mixer too. It's a tough call.

Tech Mentor

Thanks guys -it is indeed a tough call! Am i right in saying that if i route Traktor through Ableton and then back i will be able to incorporate the Ableton effects over each channel as well as the Traktor effects? If so it's the Xone 92. If not, DJM900

Thanks

Yes you can use both Traktor's and Ableton's effects - you would be applying the effects in Traktor first, then routing those channels to Ableton and applying effects there before routing to the channel on your mixer. There is no "then back", but that's semantics. I wouldn't discount the 900 though. Simply because you can apply the effects in Traktor/Ableton that doesn't mean the 900's effects are useless to you. Reverb, Echo, Flanger, Beatroll, Filter, Crush, and Noise are all better implemented/sound far better than Traktor's effects. Post-fader effects is something you can't get in Traktor, for one, and the actual quality of the effect on the 900 is better. I don't know how the effects are in Ableton to compare (I haven't used it much in my DJ sets), but in my experience software effects often fall short of their hardware counterparts. I'd suggest making your decision based on the EQ though - that 4 band feels a whole hell of a lot different than 3 band and you may well not actually like it. It's not for everyone.

Tech Mentor

Thanks again for the input - i really want to make a setup that i can recreate wherever i am playing so if i end up with the 900 or the DB4 and get used to their effects then i will be buggered if i am playing out where neither of these are available.

I will also be saving between £500-£700 by going for the Xone92 so that's me - decision made (after all these chats i have finally got there)!

Also bringing back the vinyl, just picked up the first pressing of Energy Flash - superb!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345