Traktor pro 2 routed to ableton - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Hey guys im trying to setup my Kontrol S2 with Traktor to record inside ableton.
    I have followed the guide here and have a few issues maybe someone could help me out with.
    In Jack audio i set interface and input/output to the Kontrol S2 ASIO driver
    I am at the point of mapping my connections in Jack audio 1.9.7

Using external routing in traktor I can map from traktor to ableton and get both DECK A and DECK B levels jumping inside ableton...everything seems good so far.

Issue#1
    When i use external routing i have no Level or X faders anymore.

Issue#2
    inside Jack i see traktor and ableton as devices but the only other option i have to connect to is system: output_1 and output_2
    If i map ableton to the system output 1 i hear the sound from my speakers?

How can i do this Using my Kontrol S2 built in soundcard?
    Is it even possible to use this method with a controller sound card?

Tech Guru

#1 - enable the controller as an input (remote button on) in Live and midi map the faders to your track faders.

#2 - I've never used a soundcard built into a controller, so I'm not really sure. But I would guess that Jack only needs to know about the Traktor>Live connection, then you just choose your soundcard in Live's output. At least that's how it works with external cards.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

From experience:

Mac OS X: Very easy to setup and decently low latency
    Windows 7 (granted, on a laptop from 2006): A pain in the ass to setup, uses multiple pieces of software, and latency was bad enough to be pretty unusable even with sync.

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the reply
    I have mapped the faders in ableton but cant use them unless i switch to midi mode??

The routing seems fine but in ableton i only get the option of using Jack as the audio interface otherwise ableton doesnt show up at all.

I simply wanted to record each deck into a channel in ableton so i could clean up my mixes after the fact.

I dont think this will work with the gear i have anyone else attempted this with a kontrol S2

This has nothing to do with gear, aside from Mac vs. PC. When I did this on Windows I ended up using Virtual Audio Cable (attempting to, anyway), Midi Ox/Yoke, and Asio4all. It was a pain to learn how to set up everything and none of the instructions were clear.

As for your faders; yes, you can only use them in midi mode. Ableton doesn't see the NHL ("Native") communication since it's a proprietary NI protocol. However, if you're using the internal mixer (which you have to be with the S2 unless you have an external mixer you haven't mentioned) then you shouldn't need the Ableton faders. Since the audio is being routed from Traktor, any fader changes you make in Traktor will already be reflected in the audio before it gets to Ableton. If you want to use the faders in Ableton specifically (I'm not sure why you would... possibly for better control over Ableton effects volume if you're using it in a mix) then yes, you would have to be in midi mode and would have to map them.

Basically, what you're trying to do is take your two channels and instead of feeding them to Traktor's master channel as usual, you're trying to feed them into the channels in Ableton and then to its master output, then your S2 soundcard and speakers. This may seem self-evident, but for me it's helpful to visualize what I'd be doing in an analogue world sometimes to keep everything straight in my head. For example, if you had another soundcard with 2 stereo ins and outs, you could route audio cables out of the S2 and into that soundcard and use that soundcard for Ableton instead of doing this all as software (granted your latency would be potentially worse doing it this way).

What you're looking for is software that allows you to do this type of routing. Not sure if any of that makes sense to you but it helped me to figure out how to use VAC/Asio4all/etc.

Tech Mentor

Right – I am banging my head against the wall now. Still trying to decide on buying a DJM-900 or the Xone:92 with an Audio 10. It seems the video tutorials from this thread and also the Dubspot blog are dated and It looks like there may be issues in setting up the whole routing of Traktor through Ableton that have come about after these tutorials have been put up.

Question: If I follow the videos in this thread (I have downloaded JackAudio) and set up routing from Traktor through Ableton and back into my mixer, what issues will I have using the Xone:92 with Audio 10? I am using a PC, not MAC.

I know the Pio mixer would be less fuss, has more fancy bits and is pretty much all round fantastic however, I would like a setup where I can just take my laptop, soundcard, couple of controllers and set up in any available 4 channel mixer in a club/venue so I can mix by routing Traktor through Ableton and back out to the mixer.

Is this possible?

Banned

Fun is not the word, cutting the APC40 in half comes next as i want a 5x4 ableton clip launch grid and then the other half given over to Traktor controls... I'm using Vinyl to control traktor and the sync seems good (not serato good) so far...

Tech Wizard

I am already running traktor for playback and ableton for mixing.

I have a fairly recent i5 macbook pro and a motu 828mk3 and in the end gave up.

Running traktor with 4 decks and key lock, and ableton with 4 stereo tracks and not too many effects, and the cpu spikes causing audio dropouts were too much.

Now i have gone back to just 2 decks in traktor and route audio physically back and forth via the motu.

Also note that the sync with ableton via midi is nowhere near "perfect", but it is good enough.

Tech Mentor

I would like to be able to use my 1210’s and a couple of controllers to control 4 decks in Traktor Pro 2, route Traktor Pro 2 through to Ableton Live 8 from there (using Jackportaudio) back into the Xone:92. This should then give me the ability to play each deck into an individual channel in Ableton, allow me to control the FX in Ableton on each channel using TouchOSC on the ipad while still using Traktor and all it has to offer (I would also like to record everything going through Ableton).

This will be based all on one PC – another reaon for going this way would be the fact that I could recreate my home setup in any venue with a basic 4 channel mixer. Is this correct thinking or should i just give up on the idea from your experience?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by kevz718 View Post
    Yes, i dont see why not.. If virtualaudiocable doesnt work, theres another virtual audio app (i dont recall the nameoff hand but let me know if u need it and ill look for it) that u can use.

It shouldnt be too hard and ive done it with the audio10 and latency was fine on a pc.

I cant recall exact steps but i basically folowed a vid from dubspot and a few online articles to tweak it. I have some notes somewhere if and when u need them.
    That would be great - thanks very much. Just means i will be out playing with two 1210's, three controllers (Ipad used to control Ableton).

Right then, i think decision made - Xone:92 it is unless anybody can say don't be daft, it's to old! lol!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast