Mixing hip hop with Traktor proi just cant make it - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Taping tempo on the master clock(as long as nothing synced to it) is really really useful for when Traktors auto grid fails. As long as you can tap to the beat well in time you will get a very accurate idea of what the bpm of the track is.

From there drop a autogrid right before(its important you get it JUST before the peek and not on the peek) then set bpm of the track to what you discovered on the master tap tempo.

Then play around with the grid until all the snares are lined up with the grid.

Turn Snap on and move the autogrid to the first beat of the song.

Now turn on the master tick and make sure the track stays in time with the tick on the master clock - make adjustments if you need to so its nice and snug.

And there you have it, perfect beatgrids.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Pending there is no drift in the track, of course
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

thx a lot bento i ll try this
    thx again for the great help really appreciate it.

One of the better infos at this moment.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

Also I think it's worthwhile to note that when mixing hip hop it is more about cutting between tracks. You can't do extended fades between two tracks. If you listen to some hiphop mixes (Scratch Perverts essential mix) you'll find most of the time a short piece of the incoming track (some vocals maybe, or a drum build up) are dropped over the current track and then the dj will cut straight to the next song.
    obsidiance » breaks-drum'n'bass-big beats

Quote Originally Posted by obsidiance View Post
    Also I think it's worthwhile to note that when mixing hip hop it is more about cutting between tracks. You can't do extended fades between two tracks. If you listen to some hiphop mixes (Scratch Perverts essential mix) you'll find most of the time a short piece of the incoming track (some vocals maybe, or a drum build up) are dropped over the current track and then the dj will cut straight to the next song.
    yea good call, ive never heard any very complicated hiphop mixing live(apart, of course, from the various scratching gods)
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Pending there is no drift in the track, of course
    Yup in that case warp in Ableton first before importing into Traktor.

i am expanding from DnB at the moment and am looking at hip hop as well. The thing that puzzles me is actualy: what is the average common BPM for hip hop? like dubstep is all about 140+- and dnb ranges usualy from 170-180... oh and how to reanalyze my hip hop collection in T 3,4 when i adjust correct BPM range?
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I've found hip-hop can range anywhere from 70bpm to 130 bpm. For example, Party Like a Rockstar is around 75 bpm and Get Low is 127 or 128. God, I never listen to hip-hop, I'm amazed I know this. Granted, those are the tracks I've used for mashups.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

hiphop is generally 70bpm - 110 bpm ...sometimes more or less.

when hiphop is more than 115bpm it is typically defined as breakbeat or electro funk which range from 115-150bpm
    Last edited by wrong chris; 01-16-2009 at 02:45 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12