deadmau5 and reddit...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default deadmau5 and reddit...

the gimmick...eeeerrrrrr....deadmau5 generates a fifty fifty split of haters and lovers on reddit...

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comment..._with_an_idol/

(mods can lock this immediately if ya like to prevent any stupid ass "he gets more money/puzzy/fame than you" arguments)
    Last edited by keithace; 12-12-2011 at 01:24 PM.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

I'm a DJ, and an untalented hack
    Haha I love how worked up people get over things like this. I made it through a few posts on there before I couldn't do it anymore. Funny industry this is.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

This comment made me laugh

I feel like he's moreso trying to give the real DJs recognition. It's like calling a guy that makes a nice, simple chord progression a master guitarist. He is honest with the work that he does and doesn't want to take credit for something his has not done, and doesn't want to impede on the DJs' turf.

Or maybe I'm just being far too optimistic and forgiving of people.

NINJA EDIT: It appears that I'm wrong and the dude just doesn't like DJs. Well, shit, that was a waste of optimism.
    HP Envy 14 Beats Edition, Traktor Pro 2, NI Kontrol S4, NI Kontrol X1, NI Kontrol F1, AIAIA TMA-1

This line here would have to be one of my favourites of the year

"I can't help but wonder "who cares.." but then if you consider your activities to be completely different, it must get a little tiresome to have to endure it all the time"

New sig
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

In other news; pretty awesome picture:

Cool art on the mask. I really dig his love for old school videogames.

Tech Mentor

My thoughts on Deadmau5, I personally like his music and the fact he is a Producer not a DJ. I went to his show in SF, I really enjoyed him using his production gear as he performed and played his music for us, He even added some unique remixes to his music at the SF show, Now a couple weeks later I went to the DADA LIFE show in Citrus Heights. Sigh.... These DJs played thier produced music on CDJs. I was like WTF!? If I wanted to hear thier music I could have played it on my system and at home. I was expecting them to actually perform thier releases not play them off CDJs.

So in the end I will say any producer who actually performs thier music just makes for a way better experience.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by hrtbrkd View Post
    My thoughts on Deadmau5, I personally like his music and the fact he is a Producer not a DJ. I went to his show in SF, I really enjoyed him using his production gear as he performed and played his music for us, He even added some unique remixes to his music at the SF show, Now a couple weeks later I went to the DADA LIFE show in Citrus Heights. Sigh.... These DJs played thier produced music on CDJs. I was like WTF!? If I wanted to hear thier music I could have played it on my system and at home. I was expecting them to actually perform thier releases not play them off CDJs.

So in the end I will say any producer who actually performs thier music just makes for a way better experience.
    So you were surprised when you went to see two DJs and they were actually DJing with DJ gear?

What were you expecting, have you never been to a show before? It is usually understood you are seeing a DJ set and if it's a live set they will tell you and it says it on the ticket/flyer/marquee which one it is. This has been how it has been done for years. Some producers do both and the distinction is made what the show is up front.

I also disagree about live sets being superior. I saw deadmau5 a few years ago in NY and he was pretty boring. He just stood there, bobbed his mouse head, and launched clips in ableton and his set was not exciting and just seemed to drone on and on and we left before he finished. I've seen much more exciting DJ sets from big producers than live sets, and I appreciate the skill that goes into a good DJ set. If you would rather stay home and listen to music on your computer than see a DJ set I wonder what you're doing DJing if you don't appreciate it.

I appreciate a good live set but to be honest I wouldn't want to see most producers do a live set. The line between DJ set and live set these days is so small I would hardly call most "live sets" live sets in the original sense. "Ableton live set" might be more appropriate in which case I would usually rather just see a DJ set instead of trying to pretend it's something it's not. Deadmau5 says it himself there are segments in his shows where there will be 20 minute blocks where 100% of everything is prerecorded to go with the light show, it's just not as live as you think and he's very far from recreating his songs live.

There are still some people who put on real live shows and I would love to see Plastikman Live 1.5. Richie Hawtin also doesn't think he is above DJing and even his regular DJ sets which are more live than most "live sets" with Maschine, two laptops, ableton, and traktor he still calls it DJing like it is.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 12-12-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    So you were surprised when you went to see two DJs and they were actually DJing with DJ gear?

What were you expecting, have you never been to a show before? It is usually understood you are seeing a DJ set and if it's a live set they will tell you and it says it on the ticket/flyer/marquee which one it is. This has been how it has been done for years. Some producers do both and the distinction is made what the show is up front.

I also disagree about live sets being superior. I saw deadmau5 a few years ago in NY and he was pretty boring. He just stood there, bobbed his mouse head, and launched clips in ableton and his set was not exciting and just seemed to drone on and on and we left before he finished. I've seen much more exciting DJ sets from big producers than live sets, and I appreciate the skill that goes into a good DJ set. If you would rather stay home and listen to music on your computer than see a DJ set I wonder what you're doing DJing if you don't appreciate it.

I appreciate a good live set but to be honest I wouldn't want to see most producers do a live set. The line between DJ set and live set these days is so small I would hardly call most "live sets" live sets in the original sense. "Ableton live set" might be more appropriate in which case I would usually rather just see a DJ set instead of trying to pretend it's something it's not. Deadmau5 says it himself there are segments in his shows where there will be 20 minute blocks where 100% of everything is prerecorded to go with the light show, it's just not as live as you think and he's very far from recreating his songs live.

There are still some people who put on real live shows and I would love to see Plastikman Live 1.5. Richie Hawtin also doesn't think he is above DJing and even his regular DJ sets which are more live than most "live sets" with Maschine, two laptops, ableton, and traktor he still calls it DJing like it is.
    Yep I been to shows. actually dating back to 1990, Robyn S, La Roc, RAW, Oscar The Grouch, Cajmere, Dajae, Richard Humpty Vision and so on, I have understood when I was going to see a DJ spin or when I was going to see an artist live play, but when it's an artist booked as an act, I expected to see them perform thier produced music. Unfortunatly what I got was they spinned thier tracks CDjs. I am not saying they are bad, Just expected something else.

Nice way for trying trash my opinion. I never said live sets where better. I said i expected something different. The only thing remotely that you may have interpertade as me saying live sets where better was my statement saying and i quote

I really enjoyed him using his production gear as he performed and played his music for us, He even added some unique remixes to his music at the SF show
    I do agree with you the fine line between DJ'ing and Ableton sets but I really do enjoy to see the artist manipulate OSCs, LFOs, and Filters live to make the night unique.

Actually yeah some nights I prefer to stay in and mix on my home set up, Ermm my home set up is not just my computer.

TSP 2 routed into Ableton
    DJM900NXS
    Technics 1200 x2
    APC40
    Akai MPK49
    JBL EON G1 x2
    JBL EON 500 Bass Bottom x2

Been DJing since 1992 so please don't attack my motives and passion for music.

^fair enough, sorry if I jumped to conclusions about what you were saying it just seemed like you were going in a different direction.

Tech Mentor

No worries, sometimes post don't convay or describe our intentions. I'm not mad or anything I should have explained myself in more detail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast