Basic Midi fighter setup
    Tech Convert

Default Basic Midi fighter setup

I'm not sure if this has been posted, or if this even exists... but are there any instructions on how to actually set up a midi fighter?

For instance... I'm wondering exactly how I would setup a midi fighter to work with my S4, just to control effects and stuff.

I just watched Ean's vid on creating awesome build ups, and I'd LOVE to incorporate the beatmasher/beatmasher 2 into my mixes vie use of the midi fighter... but im just afraid once I get it... I won't be able to figure out how to configure it/hook it all up.

Any advice... comments... answers?

I'd LOVE some help with this, and would be MORE than grateful. I'm using an S4 at the moment, so if anyone has any first hand experience and could either PM me or post... or anyone with general knowledge, that'd be awesome!

-George

Tech Mentor

Man, if only people read the forums or tried to do a search. If you want to do effects, the mapping centered around the S4 or another controller is the Instant Gratification mapping. Which can be found here, I would hope that you can read the posts that go off from that.

That said, Welcome to the forums. Feel free to use the search function to your advantage, we've all be there, so chances are your questions been asked (and hopefully answered).
    Live Gear : MacBook Pro 13" & 15" (depends which one I grab), Kontrol S4, Midi-Fighter, Shure SRH750DJ, Dedication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    itajen just told Chilly to read the fucking manual... lol
    *takes hat off and bows to itajen*
    Be the change you want to see in the world.

hah eh, yea. search. . . right. anyway, OP--it's true that using a Midifighter requires a particular level of technical expertise, even more so when you run into issues. that said, if you're familiar with Traktor, using a MIDI controller, and mapping that controller in Traktor, you're more than prepared to own one. configuring/hooking it up is as simple as plugging it in via USB. you should have no problem with the more advanced stuff, such as accessing the internal menu mode or flashing the firmware, because all configuration changes and updates are thoroughly explained on the site and in this forum by the DJTT staff.

as far as what you can do with it goes, three "official" maps (1.x, deckalized, and instant gratification) and one highly recommended, user-created "instaFX" map are available for you to download. each have diagrams that you can print out to use as references while you learn the different mappings. you might want to look into what each map does and which one you'd be likely to use the most, and then select your button colors based on that.

i have a Midifighter that sits alongside my DJ-Tech I-Mix Reload, the latter being essentially the same style controller as the S4. the Midifighter definitely adds greater functionality, potential, and fun to my setup. i've had mine since December, and have loved using, customizing, and troubleshooting it ever since.
    Last edited by mattcheau; 03-23-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Tech Convert

@ itajen.... Thanks for the response... I guess...

@ mddombrowski; pretty much 100% what I was looking for, I wasn't even particularly sure how the midi fighter even connected, whether it went into my laptop or my s4... So thank you very much for clarifying a lot of my unknown questions.

If I understand you correctly, after mapping my midi fighter to whatever I want, when I then open up the s4 software, it will recognize it pretty much as native? Like it's just part of the s4 software? If so, and it won't turn off any functionality of my s4 map, and it's pretty much a plug and play. I'm
    Sold.

Thanks again,
    George

Quote Originally Posted by gacibula View Post
    If I understand you correctly, after mapping my midi fighter to whatever I want, when I then open up the s4 software, it will recognize it pretty much as native? Like it's just part of the s4 software? If so, and it won't turn off any functionality of my s4 map, and it's pretty much a plug and play.
    you're welcome. it sounds like you've made enough sense of my reply, i just want to answer your other questions. before i do that, and just to clarify, the S4 software is a version of Native Instrument's Traktor tailored somewhat narrowly to the Kontrol S4. when Traktor Pro 2 comes out in two weeks, you'll want to upgrade (and as an S4 owner, you're entitled to a free upgrade).

the Midifighter is not necessarily recognized as a "native part of the software," but rather as a MIDI device which can be mapped to control Traktor. Traktor can be controlled by multiple controllers, so you're correct in assuming that adding a Midifighter to your setup will not affect your S4's functionality. and yes, it's plug-and-play to the extent that it can be plugged in and is immediately ready to be mapped. to do some of the more advanced tasks (like the ones i mentioned), you'll have to download and install appropriate drivers, but there's plenty of help for you here if/when you come to that bridge.