Deck Modifiers for 4 decks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Deck Modifiers for 4 decks

Guys, you all seem to have your Tpro configured similar to how I want mine to be when I'm done, so I'm asking in here. I've searched through most of the forums on this site, as well as on NIs site, but I haven't found the answer to my specific problem.
    It has to do with modifiers.

I have my vci100 set up so that the left side controls A/C and the right B/D.
    A is M1=1
    B is M2=1
    C is M1=2
    D is M2=2

I want to use my jogwheels to scratch with when I'm in deck modes (M1 and M2), and to scroll through my lists with when I'm in browser mode (M5)
    so I set it up like this;

Mod5, M5=0, set to value 5, direct type, preview button
    Mod5, M5=5, set to value 0, same button
    Only Browser Toggle, M5=0, browser only, same button
    Only Browser Toggle, M5=5, default browser, same button
    Tree Select Up/Down, M5=5 ,left jog
    List Select Up/Down, M5=5, right jog

the problem is that I when I use my jogs to scroll, they're ALSO scratching. even though the scratching is M1 and M2, those don't switch off when I add the M5

so to bypass this, I put 4 extra modify commands on the preview button

Mod1, M5=0, set to value 0, direct type, preview button
    Mod1, M5=5, set to value 1, "
    Mod2, M5=0, set to value 0, "
    Mod2, M5=5, set to value 1, "

now when I hit the preview button, I switch to browser only, and I can use the jogs to scroll without also having them scratch, and then when I hit the preview button again, it goes back to default browser, and I have control over decks A, and B.

So in the end, it does what I want it to do, but I feel like I took the long way around. I want to set up some more modifiers to change my play/pause buttons on the bottom of my controller into jump/cue buttons, do I just have to add a bunch of toggling modifiers like I did up there? or is there an easier way to do this? do I need to incorporate channels? so far everything is just channel one.
    Last edited by piburr; 01-08-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typo

With your Mod1 & Mod2 setup, you probably should do this:

Mod1 = 1 (Deck A), 2 (Deck C), 3 (Browse)
    Mod2 = 1 (Deck B), 2 (Deck D), 3 (Browse)
    Last edited by B33SON; 01-08-2009 at 09:41 PM.
    Myspace: B33SON
    Myspace: B33 Events
    Facebook: B33SONB33
    YouTube: Mix Competition

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Or change the modifiers on your jog wheels to

M1V1 - M5V0

That should do it
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Just a side note: One thing I like to do with my Mx variables in Traktor or my global variables in Bomes is to write down what they represent. In computer science, it is always good practice to name your variables descriptively. Traktor and Bomes don't allow this of course because the variables/modifiers are all generically named. Trust me. If you do anything complicated and don't write down what you had in mind. You'll quickly forget what represented what and you'll have a hard time tweeking your setup.

Yes knowing what the varibles do is very handy - write them suckers down.

Hopefully the Bomes fairy will bring us named variables soon !

Still not in need of Modifiers. Sorry.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Thank you my friends, DvlsAdvct, B33SON, Bentosan, and Tekki, I'm honoured that you're all helping me out in this thread. And thanks for diverting my unintentional hijacking.
    I've been creeping this site for a good while now, and I've gotten a lot of help from reading all of your other posts.

My new problem is with the vinyl mode button on the vci100. I'm using loop, key, vinylmode, and sync as my 'select cue buttons' but vinyl mode just seems to switch on and off my jogs, which is kinda annoying, and it won't perform the select cue function. I don't have that button mapped to anything else, I wish it was so that I could delete it. What's the workaround for this? I'm kinda assuming you're going to tell me that the vci is programmed to send a toggle command instead of a direct command on that button and I can't use it for what I want unless I get Bomes, and I've successfully avoided having to get that so far.

Thanks again, you're all my heroes! I'm so close to getting this thing fully customized and then "There's not a problem that I can't fix, cose I can do it in the mix!!"

yeah, peace.

I'm sort of guessing here because i can't check this right now, but I think I remember that the VCI-100 changes midi messages depending on whether vinyl or scratch is active. If you don't want that then assign the same functions in Traktor for both states... I'm not sure if there's anything you can do about it staying lit up tho.

Yeah, isn't it some kind of hardware modifier? (Don't have the VCI. )
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

The Vinyl Mode button changes the commands that the inner jog wheel sends... It also sends the same message as letting go of the jog wheel (I think when it's activated in vinyl mode). I wouldn't recommend using those, I'd say instead use modifiers to change the transport buttons to control cues and, in that same modifier, change maybe the Loop, Key and Sync buttons to control basic transport.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast