Midifidler's Pro-Control Development Thread - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

sic looking design bro! can't wait to have a jam on it once you've finished

So how are things going?
    Any approximate date you plan to finish it?

Also, I really might be interested in buying it if the price isn't insane and if it turns out to be as good as I'm expecting.

Good luck and a lot of respect for your work!

wow, this is an amazing and inspiring project, kudos! makes me wish i knew more about electrical engineering to better understand the specifics.

i wonder if it would be advantageous to natively use OSC as the communication protocol and implement MIDI on top of that (likely next-to as both would require different connection mediums -- ethernet and usb). MIDI is great as it is ubiquitous, but aside from that, what does it really offer that OSC doesn't offer with higher resolution, more clarity, more control and better performance?

it seems like as long as we continue to use MIDI, we will continue to use MIDI. sure, there is stuff like the great OSCulator and other OSC<->MIDI apps written in Max, but it would be great if it were supported in-unit. what kind of hardware will be on board? i've implemented OSC on an arduino (14K flash 1K RAM) over ethernet and that works pretty well, but obviously this project would need a few more inputs :0)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by midifidler View Post
    I think Stanton or someone has a patent on using pot back lights to indicate the value or other information, man patent law is retarded......
    I wish I could have been at that board meeting...

"Hey guys! How do we not increase our market share?"

"Lets patent something extremely useful and not implement it properly on our products until infringement and imitation demands development!!!! "

"Great idea!"
    Last edited by MrM; 03-05-2009 at 05:47 PM.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

hey all,

I just brought a Korg Zero 4, while it is not perfect its pretty fuckin awesome so Im going to chill on this part of the project for now and start thinking about the transport control part of this system.

Stay tuned for some sweet touch sensitive goodness

Quote Originally Posted by MrM View Post
    "Lets patent something extremely useful and not implement it properly on our products until infringement and imitation demands development!!!! "
    point taken, however it is a non-trivial leap to assume that stanton's intent to protect the IP was to stymie competition and/or to later seek licensing / damages. it is not uncommon for patents to be used defensively, to prevent others from coming after you[1] or even in pre-trial IP disputes when you compare the plaintiff's infringements of *your* IP in further attempt to settle. yes, there are a hell of a lot of dodgy patent holding companies operating on the damages-as-income plan, but not everyone has such ill-intent.

that said, lets get back to what is really important -- midifidler's amazing controller project.

[1] i've seen companies get lined up for alleged infringement of a patent they them self could claim prior art for (though they hadn't pursued a patent). sadly, it isn't uncommon for them to just pay out, which can prove to be much cheaper than pay the legal fees associated with a trial, even if they had a clear case to invalidate.

im so tempted to eat noodles for the next 6 months to be able to buy one of these

Curious about progress... ?

midifidler == 1337 ][4x0|>_
    reason, live7, traktor pro, m-audio x-session, m-audio O2, KRK RP5, Roland RD300sx

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

This is one the back burner now ... I got a korg zero 4 which pretty much does all of this more awesomely and only cost me 1000 NZD.

Its a shame... I had spent over 100 hours on that design allready

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast