any blind mac djs here? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hey Triple7...

Welcome to the DJTT Crew, you're definitely in the right place!

There are loads of super cool, highly intelligent and extremely helpful people here at DJTechTools.

If I run across anything on my search and destroy missions, I'll hook you up.

Also, I'm certain you'll obtain immense success in your endeavors to expand your horizons.

DJTT is a Talent Magnet and "The" Massive Resource of Everything Awesome.

This is the Spot and we're glad you're here.
    ------=== ===------

Tech Student

Blind users operate with a screen reader which reads aloud where in the interface you are. You navigate with the keyboard or the trackpad in certain instances. That's where all the synthetic voices you hear on some mixes come from. If you got a mac, just press command f5 or fn command f5 and you will have the screen reader on. Don't know if you remember the stuff from madlib or some brainfeeder mixes, but if you press control option command right or left arrow with voice over on, you hear a category which is voices, then control option command up or downa arrow and you'll hear some pretty novel voices such as zarvox or pipe organ. Just open a text editor and type whatever text you want, and it'll read it for you with those voices. Some are truly creepy but others rather cool and can be used on podcasts and such.

Tech Wizard

Oh wow, I had no idea. That's pretty cool.

Triple7 you humble me. I take so much for granted.

As you were saying, in changing the UI no sound is made-- Traktor functions the same regardless of the UI, it just hides and shows things visually, so that shouldn't matter much. The only thing you really need is a way of reading the browser (for track selection), other than that I'd suggest using DVS and doing everything else by ear (I'm assuming you know how). You could use the X1's FX shortcuts, and not even need to read the FX section.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I think the X1 with it's native mapping is the best choice.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Hey triple7

If you decide to use traktor I can say with my little bit of experience that it will work even though there will be no screen reader response. The only problem that will arise is the fact that you will need someone with sight to help you map the controls and go through the initial set up.

I use itunes to manage my playlists and organise my music so its just a matter of scrolling down the tree via hotkey untill I hit the playlist I want. To verify I have the right playlist I recorded myself saying what playlist it is and put that file at the very top, play it through the monitor channel and its confirmed.

I agree that the more tacktile you can get the easier it will be. The x1 is great, the layout is easy to navigate, the buttons are large and it is difficult to accedently press one or move a knob because they click into place.

If you have anyother questions feel free to ask and I will do what I can to help.

I didn't even know this was possible... How do you DJ without being able to see what you're doing? Seriously, I am mystified :eek:

Tripple7- all the more props to you my friend

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Villinus View Post
    I didn't even know this was possible... How do you DJ without being able to see what you're doing? Seriously, I am mystified :eek:
    I had to think on this one for a while, it is just second nature to me now, kind of like how I know I am in a hallway by hearing the airflow.

Speaking for myself, I cannot answer for Triple7 or Lance, I just know how my software is mapped. The hours of practice help to do this and its just like using a keyboard to type when you dont look at the keys.

Pushing Traktor to its limits and making mistakes is helpfull, that way I know the software limits and how to get out of a screwup real quick.

Reading the crowd is hard, but I havent had to much experience. It is all about using my other senses to tell me whats going on, feeling vibrations in the floor as people dance, listening to the crowd moving.

I could go on, I hope this sheds some light on your question.

WHOA!!

Thread has blown me any!

Much respect!

Talk about having to trust your software and hardware rig!

Awesome DJTT!!!!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast