maschine 0r x1 with my s4?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default maschine 0r x1 with my s4?

i have had my s4 for a good few weeks now , and its my birthday shortly i was looking to get something to go nice with my s4 , does machine work along side it or not ? and is there much piont in getting an x1? i dont realy see the piont in loads and loads or buttons for cues i mix everything from hip hop to techno and like to scratch also , im an ex drummer and am kind of drwan to machine but wasnt too sure if it worked with tracktor or was more a stand alone product ? need help ?

Tech Wizard

Default s4

i am happy with the s4 in general im not realy using the sample decks much at all , i use the other decks as full track decks. i keep one deck loaded up with some battle scratch samples and the other for tracks , both the efx banks are great the only problem i have is operating all three knobs at the same time as well as trigering the buttons to turn the efx on and off. i dont have the first idea when it comes to mapping but would like to get into it ...seems quite complicated to start with kinda scared of making a mess off it . iv been djing for 15 years used alot of diferant gear and am new to tracktor , i used to use scratch live and then went onto vci 300 with itch after selling my technics .hope this is enough info for people to answer my origonal question ??:eek::eek:

the X-1 is a good choice if you don't want to map(or even if you do) as there are already S4 companion mappings for it. It is smaller and less expensive also.

Maschine is another nice piece of gear, but I'm not sure if any S4 companion mappings have been made. It would be killer for drumming samples and cue points at the very least.

Midi mapping isn't that difficult. Sure there are some complex things you can map if you really want to, but most of it is simple. It just takes a little reading and actually mapping things to see how they work.

Tech Guru

I can't really answer your question. I never used maschine. I have an s4 though and I use an x1 with it. I'm like you I mix everything and like to scratch a little bit too.
    I have my x1 set so that I can have 4 fx banks and the x1 controls fx banks 3 and 4. I also have two buttons to set the xfader curve (scratch vs blend). I also have my two knobs for the Key for deck a and b. I have some combo fx with 2 other knobs. I have a file I set in deck c with a bunch of samples including a couple name drops that I have hot cued to the x1.
    All I'm saying is that with just an x1 you can map a bunch of different things. I still have room to map a bunch more stuff. Mapping really isn't hard at all.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The X1 is a perfect companion to the S4 however If you want to get more into producing or making beats get a Maschine. It would be pretty easy to map common functions like sample decks and FX control to one, but imo it would be overkill on a Maschine if that's all you're going to use it for
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

If you're gonna get Maschine just as a companion controller then you're wasting your $.

If you're into wasting your $, can you please send me and Photojojo some of it?

I think that I read some where that the upcoming Traktor Pro 2 will have tighter integration with Maschine.

Considered a Midi Fighter if you are just looking to juggle cue points next to your S4. Plus there are some great midi-mappings out there with awesome FX mapping. The Maschine is still on my wish list, but I couldn't be happier with my Midi Fighter as an S4 companion. If you have the cash and are planning to produce your own beats then go for the Maschine.

Tech Wizard

thanks for your help dudes !! , think ill go for an x1 then eh . just now any way maby go for machine at xmas! is there any vids shiwing you how to map , like step by step just to get started ? or does the x1 come pre maped so you can plug and play ?

X1 is pre mapped but you can edit it to your heart's content and as VanGogo said there are companion mappings for using it with the S4 online.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Guru

It you want to make beats get the x1, otherwise get an x1.
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast