Why do newbies automatically want gigs? - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Tech Wizard

Are you talking about trying to get a gig in a club or a private party?

I done over 50 Private gigs before I approached a club and I started doing private gigs alone after I'd shadowed an experienced DJ (12 years in the business) at his gigs for a year, before he told me I was ready to do it on my own.

It seems quite apparent that a few do not realise that there is more to being a DJ than hedonistic euphoria?

Tech Convert

Im talking bout a private gig. A friends b-day party and stuff. But here in belgium we also to have lots of parties(for young people who aint 18) Most of beginning dj's get their first gig at parties like that.

I think the instant gratification point is excellent.

I'm still in high school, and been spinning for a little over two years now. I didn't have my parents buy me my equipment or anything like that, I worked very hard to save up to get to what I have today. No, its not about being egocentric or "getting bitches" as people like to say. Its about getting better and having a passion for music. Most of the newer DJs don't even know what music is, and download "dirty dutch house" and think they're going to kill it at a club.

And its OT, but aside from spinning, I've been playing the bass for almost ten years now.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    You'll learn the easy way, or the hard way.

The easy way is to lock yourself away, make mistakes in private, and learn from them.

The hard way, is to get gigs early on, and realise you suck with 50 people watching you suck (some of which will be bedroom DJ's learning the EASY way). You'll know them - they'll be the guys looking right at you smiling and shaking their heads when you f*ck up.
    I know those clowns very well, they usually come up and tell me I suck, I should mix like this, play this song, why don't you scratch more, I'm a DJ too, etc. Here's what I've done, I straight up hand them the headphones and tell them I'm going to the bathroom. 100% of the time the dancefloor is cleared when I come back. "Not as easy as it looks, is it?!? Get off my stage."

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I know those clowns very well, they usually come up and tell me I suck, I should mix like this, play this song, why don't you scratch more, I'm a DJ too, etc. Here's what I've done, I straight up hand them the headphones and tell them I'm going to the bathroom. 100% of the time the dancefloor is cleared when I come back. "Not as easy as it looks, is it?!? Get off my stage."
    You are one VERY brave and patient SOB to even entertain them! ...

Asking where THEY are resident worked for me

For me, it was because I heard some fantastic DJs (Tom Cosm, Antix, Grouch) and discovered what good DJs are like, then came back to my hometown (Wellington) and couldn't find any performers who were good enough to make me happy.

^ Umm?? Terrifying?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567