Do I need endless encoders? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by fleater View Post
    Not too sure what you mean there, each of the rotary pots (encoders) puts out 0-127 values and can be mapped to anything in Traktor. The only problem with The ohm is that it is shipped with some f**king amazing VJ software that I use all the time and have got solid work VJ-ing and made my dj performance far more sought after!
    This is what is confusing me. In Livid's description, it says the following:

Any of the 32 endless encoders can be programmed to output MIDI CC data in either absolute or relative mode on any MIDI channel. In absolute mode, turning the knob will provide values from 0-127. In relative mode, turning to the left will alternate values between 0 and 1 to indicate a "decrease" and turning to the right will alternate values betwee 0 and 127 to indicate an "increase."

I can see how absolute mode would work, it's relative mode that has thrown me. Presumably, in this mode, the Code sends different the same note with different velocity values. In Learn mode, would Traktor make sense of the alternating values? For me, being able to use the encoders incrementally is one of its attractions.

I've read that absolute mode is best for EQ and FX, whereas relative mode is well-suited to stepping through lists and the like. Is this true? Also, some people say that endless encoders aren't good for smooth changes. If rotary encoders click as you turn them, it makes creating a controller with 32 of kinda pointless, no?

It could be that I'm expecting to make fine adjustments with a device not made for this. Basically, if EQ and FX are out then I'm barking up the wrong tree. Maybe that's why Monome's Arc costs so much!!!

@ kilobytekaushik - I agree about the SoftStep. Impressive but maybe too much function. I'll leave complex foot motions to the ballet dancers.

(In a ghostly voice)
    ~~~APC40~~~~
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123