Do I need endless encoders? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default inov8

The APC40 looks like a serious bit of kit. Wow. Rotary encoders too. For some reason, I thought it was way more expensive. Especially with the extra buttons and faders. Impressive. The Livid does seem overpriced in comparison.

Behringer? People complain about them but I love my FCB1010. It is more versatile than foot controllers that are twice it's price. I need to properly integrate it into my Traktor workflow.

Thanks for the useful advice. I am leaning towards that Akai now

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MuzicFreq View Post
    I see that Livid as an overpriced APC40 with less faders
    I own an APC40 and an Ohm64 and I can assure you that the Ohm64 is far more flexible than the APC40....
    If you want to be told how to use Ableton then the APC40 is for you, if you want to do something different and flexible then the Ohm64 is a winner!

Overpriced, I think not....
    MBP (Traktor/ Ableton) MBP 17" (Early 2009) 2.93Ghz Core duo, 4Gb 1077Mhz RAM, Seagate Momentus XT 7200rpm 500GB OS X 10.6.4 TSP 1.2.6 (R8491), ADJ8 (2.3.14 driver)
    Midi/ Control (either) Vestax: VCM-600 Livid: Ohm64 Akai: APC80 Korg: PadKontrol (running through FarmPad) Technics: SL1210mk II x 1 (and regret selling my other so think twice)

Quote Originally Posted by fleater View Post
    I own an APC40 and an Ohm64 and I can assure you that the Ohm64 is far more flexible than the APC40....
    If you want to be told how to use Ableton then the APC40 is for you, if you want to do something different and flexible then the Ohm64 is a winner!

Overpriced, I think not....
    You do know that it's just a standard midi device premapped to ableton, you can map it to anything that allows midi

I guess midi chains are lost on the apc but if you dont plan on hooking up stuff that needs it then it's fine on how it is. Honestly I would be lost in a huge setup with multiple controllers on different software
    Last edited by MuzicFreq; 02-23-2011 at 05:25 AM.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Quote Originally Posted by inov8 View Post
    Behringer? People complain about them but I love my FCB1010. It is more versatile than foot controllers that are twice it's price. I need to properly integrate it into my Traktor workflow.
    Still using an FCB1010? You need one of these!

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/softstep/overview
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

From what I understand, there's no problem with the build quality of the APC40. Still, the more I compare it to the Code, the more I favour the Livid device.

As I see it, the APC40 offers a load of encoders, faders and buttons at a very competitive price point. It also has those great multicolour LEDs. That said, I have no real interest in Live (at present, if ever) and, in many ways, I prefer the cleaner, more intuitive layout of the Code. The APC40 looks kinda busy to me.

The Code also has more encoders which is what I want. I have a MIDI Fighter so I don't need the extra buttons on the Akai. Lastly, the APC40 is also far from compact. Lugging it around would be a pain.

No, I don't think the Livid is overpriced for what it is. Though, neither is the Akai. They're both impressive devices. I just feel the Livid is a better fit with me. It has open-source credentials too. I like.

Hmmmm… that SoftStep MIDI pedal looks the business. How many parameters does it control. Hell, the misery of choice :eek:

Hmmmm… that SoftStep MIDI pedal looks the business. How many parameters does it control.
    it is the business, and very reasonably priced! Apart from the obvious on/off message you get:

Quote Originally Posted by Keith McMillen Website
    5 degrees of continuous control for each pad: X- and Y- axis, Clockwise Rotation, Counter-Clockwise Rotation and Pressure. These control sources are mappable to any MIDI or OSC destination.
    So with 1 button you can control 6 different parameters at once :eek:
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by MuzicFreq View Post
    You do know that it's just a standard midi device premapped to ableton, you can map it to anything that allows midi

I guess midi chains are lost on the apc but if you dont plan on hooking up stuff that needs it then it's fine on how it is. Honestly I would be lost in a huge setup with multiple controllers on different software
    Yes but you cannot change the midi message that each button sends, you cannot change the midi note value for each press. On the APC 40 the top left button will only ever be Note F2 midi Channel 1.
    Every buton on the ohm is programmable to be either a CC or note and how to react on each pressing of that note.
    MBP (Traktor/ Ableton) MBP 17" (Early 2009) 2.93Ghz Core duo, 4Gb 1077Mhz RAM, Seagate Momentus XT 7200rpm 500GB OS X 10.6.4 TSP 1.2.6 (R8491), ADJ8 (2.3.14 driver)
    Midi/ Control (either) Vestax: VCM-600 Livid: Ohm64 Akai: APC80 Korg: PadKontrol (running through FarmPad) Technics: SL1210mk II x 1 (and regret selling my other so think twice)

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by fleater View Post
    Yes but you cannot change the midi message that each button sends, you cannot change the midi note value for each press. On the APC 40 the top left button will only ever be Note F2 midi Channel 1.
    Every buton on the ohm is programmable to be either a CC or note and how to react on each pressing of that note.

Would I be right in thinking that the rotary encoders on the APC40 can't be switched between relative and absolute mode like on the Code?

To return to my original question, does Livid's use of incremental rotary encoders allow for fine control over EQ and FX values in Traktor?

Tech Wizard

Would I be right in thinking that the rotary encoders on the APC40 can't be switched between relative and absolute mode like on the Code?

To return to my original question, does Livid's use of incremental rotary encoders allow for fine control over EQ and FX values in Traktor?
    Not too sure what you mean there, each of the rotary pots (encoders) puts out 0-127 values and can be mapped to anything in Traktor. The only problem with The ohm is that it is shipped with some f**king amazing VJ software that I use all the time and have got solid work VJ-ing and made my dj performance far more sought after!

about the softstep, i think its an overkill on a single thing. The ohm64 is surely the way to go; if u have the bucks n a powerful lappy to run 2 or softwares at a time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast