First Experience Syncing Up 2 S4's.. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Do a screen capture video of you setting it up and maybe we can pick out what you're missing.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Do a screen capture video of you setting it up and maybe we can pick out what you're missing.
    +1
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by schaap View Post
    Hey Guys

Last night me and my friend synced up our 2 S4's by Midi. We followed the Traktor Pro Bible tutorial to do this (http://bit.ly/hnX2g7) and got the whole thing kind of working. Unfortunately we stumbled upon a couple of strange things. I wrote down these things during the process of setting up and playing, and I really hope you guys can help me out. Excuse me if some of my questions are already somewhere in this forum..

Question 1:
    While setting up the S4 Slave, the tutorial tells you to select 'Traktor Kontrol S4 MIDI Input Port 0' at the in-port field in the Device Setup. This option didn't show up in our Traktor’s and instead we choose 'Traktor Virtual Input' as the In-port section (this seemed the best option). What does this Virtual Input mean, and was this the right choice? And why doesn’t ‘Traktor Kontrol S4 Midi Input’ show up like the tutorials says?

Question 2:
    After setting up all the preferences and the Midi-clock the S4's where connected. But for some strange reason when I (the master) changed my tempo and clicked on sync, the tempo of the Slave didn't automatically change too. We had to do this by hand and then it worked... What's going on here? I red this should work automatically.

Question 3:
    When trying to get the master and slave in sync we used the 'tick' function in Traktor to get beats matching. To get our two 'ticks' in sync we tried to use the 'sending offset' function on the Master. But for some reason it seems this doesn’t make any sense, and doesn’t speed up the 'tick' of the master track. I seriously have no clue here.. Why does this ‘sending offset’ doesn’t seem to work?

Question 4:
    Finally after manually setting the ticks of the S4's and pushing sync at the midi-clock section it all worked fine and we spinned tracks in sync for like 1 hour. All tracks in sync and we had no problems. But out of nowhere the S4's were not in Sync anymore and we could start all over again. I kept pushing sync button next to the midi-clock for like 10 times, but it didn’t sync anymore? When preforming live you off course don't want this to happen..

All our tracks were gritted correctly btw..

Thanx in advance guys,

Nick
    Are you sending MIDI from the Master S4? Make sure the option is ticked in your preferences. This is for Question 1. You need to get Question 1 solved before anything else will work. The Virtual Traktor Midi is just the internal clock. So you are syncing your slave S4 with the computer's internal midi clock. The Virtual Midi Clock is used to sync Traktor with Ableton on the same computer.
    Last edited by alxb; 02-23-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Tech Wizard

Today I went to my friend to make some screencaps, and while setting the thing up, we kind of fixed the problem! I connected the midi cable and for the first time we were able to select ‘traktor control s4’ at the in-port field in the Controller Manager settings of the Slave. Now the slave’s midi clock started fluctuating for the first time and we could adjust the offset at the master to sync the S4’s.

How to get this working:

1. First turn on the master S4 Master and connect the midi cable.
    2. Now turn on the slave S4 > select S4 Traktor at in-port field
    3. Restart the Master S4 and than hit sync at the midi-clock.

It feels like some kind of trial and error thing, and starting up the S4’s in the right order seems to be the solution for fixing the midi-signal. After the first time we tried this again for 2 times to make sure this was the problem and it worked out again.

The only really annoying problem there is left right now is we have to fix the offset every time we restart Traktor. When we found the right offset for the master S4 the first time today, we saved our tsi’s files so we could use this settings again the second time. After restarting Traktor the offset of the first session (72) wasn’t correct anymore and we had to find it again. Now it was 27. And the third time it was another number. Is there a way to always use the same offset number for the master S4. This is not something you want to fix over and over again on a party… (The slave’s offset was always on 60 and we didn’t change this)

Tech Wizard

Default sxds

Quote Originally Posted by schaap View Post
    Today I went to my friend to make some screencaps, and while setting the thing up, we kind of fixed the problem! I connected the midi cable and for the first time we were able to select ‘traktor control s4’ at the in-port field in the Controller Manager settings of the Slave. Now the slave’s midi clock started fluctuating for the first time and we could adjust the offset at the master to sync the S4’s.

How to get this working:

1. First turn on the master S4 Master and connect the midi cable.
    2. Now turn on the slave S4 > select S4 Traktor at in-port field
    3. Restart the Master S4 and than hit sync at the midi-clock.

It feels like some kind of trial and error thing, and starting up the S4’s in the right order seems to be the solution for fixing the midi-signal. After the first time we tried this again for 2 times to make sure this was the problem and it worked out again.

The only really annoying problem there is left right now is we have to fix the offset every time we restart Traktor. When we found the right offset for the master S4 the first time today, we saved our tsi’s files so we could use this settings again the second time. After restarting Traktor the offset of the first session (72) wasn’t correct anymore and we had to find it again. Now it was 27. And the third time it was another number. Is there a way to always use the same offset number for the master S4. This is not something you want to fix over and over again on a party… (The slave’s offset was always on 60 and we didn’t change this)

i guess the cost of the unit means not many people have a friend who also has one?

well i do, and well be settting them up like you hopefully with better results.

playing out at a club is no fun with one unit, there is no fun and no showmanship.

bring on another a bongo player, bass player and 2 dj's with s4 lets see what we can do.

i fear all this button pushing tech will be over soon :0(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12