First gig tomorrow night... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Congrats glad to hear it went well for you !

Tech Mentor

Thank you for the wishes. I should note that I played with the BPM counter off (as I do at home), and from now on I'm going to practice with my monitor in front of me to get used to reading the EQs off the monitor than the VCI.

Past that, I'm going to practice beatmatching more, though really it's hard to practice apart from just going at it. Still the progress I've made since I started is enormous and I can't wait to improve even further.

Perhaps the best part about playing out was that it made me realise that I'm not the superstar DJ that I thought I was haha. It's very easy to be critical when listening to other DJs at shows and so on, comparing them to what you do in your basement. But to do all that live is another ballgame, and I'm glad I've been exposed first-hand!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Congrats, miyuru. :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

you are paid to entertain. which means you have to drop stuff you dont want to sometimes. no one likes certain aspects of their jobs, thats life. you just have to do it.
    me, im all for it. ill drop a hit track anyday of the week. its more important that the crowd has a good time then you playing what you want.
    alot of times you just need to keep where your going and the crowd will get it.
    remember, if the crowd doesnt like you, your less likely to get the next booking.
    Last edited by djalexlaine; 05-09-2008 at 01:52 PM. Reason: addition

Tech Mentor

Very true! What I was getting at though was I don't like playing those bomb tracks out of the blue. My friend came up with the best compromise, as he was saying he won't play anything BUT those tracks if he has a lot of momentum going, since at those points in a set, there's nothing better!

That's definitely another area I have to improve in, building energy in a set. I can do it but not as gradually as I would like.

Tech Mentor

congrats for going out there and showing your skills.
    Thank Ya!!!

Tech Mentor

congrtas and about the hits i hate putting song that are hits and that ppl kno i always try to put new epic songs but sometimes u j=have to play what u dont like is the JOB

my advice is to pretend like you are doing that for years. if you let people to see that you are nervous and that you dont know what you are doing they will pay more atention on you mixing then dancing. just come there and play like you play at home. pay little more attention od headphone cueing and dont stand on the same spot like on funeral!!!!!!!!!!!!! and everything will be allright!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12