dealing with party guest - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

I work at a club where I spin a lot of top 40 remixes and people ask for so many requests. My favorite line is "I'll see what I can do." Afterwards, I completely ignore them or just repeat it. By saying that line, I'm not promising anything but I'm also saying, "yeah sure."
    Von Doom! aka Victorious
    www.isvictorious.com
    Gear list goes here - "It's the carpenter, not the tools"

Quote Originally Posted by whiskers View Post
    Tiesto doesn't have a tune called "Lemon Tree", does he?
    No, but its a song by Herb Alpert on a Thievery Corporation CD
    DJ: Numark Total Control, Numark DJ/IO Sound Card, Gemeni PMX 60 Mixer, Ipod Touch, Traktor LE
    Production: Sony Acid Xpress 7.0, Audacity, Anything Free

oh, this is the worst.

on the weekend i got about 5 requests in 5 minutes for single ladies, at a house party, ended up just doing something stupid to mix it in. later she wanted it again, and I said no, she wasn't happy.

but this is the good bit, towards the end when a friend was having a bit of a spin. I was behind her when she said to a guy these dj's are horrible they don't play any good music, I turned around and was like oh i know ay, they got no idea what the hell their doing. She agreed at first getting into the dissing of the djs untill she realised I was the DJ, she walked off in shame.

Or try playing this song it`s not the best song in the world but sometimes the point gets across :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odC1KKnpWo4
    Don`t know the name of the original artist but i found it on a compilation c.d. of a local Dj in Montreal,Qc,Canada.
    I think it`s funny...lol.
    Last edited by athtsak; 05-29-2010 at 12:19 PM.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you just might miss it..."
    Tools:MBP 13", NI Kontrol 1,Novation twitch, Tractor Pro 2, LPD8, KRK 5's & 10" sub, AudioTechnica ATH-M40fs, Logic Express 9 and a Cactus!

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    And then he comes to you yelling about how drunk chicks could be naked if you'd just be a good DJ, and you get mad and throw something at him and he spills his drink all over your laptop "accidentally" and a fist fight breaks out and no one wins.
    If they're really pissing you off, just stop the music and leave. Fuck em. Let them figure out how to DJ.

(Although I wouldn't suggest doing this at any influential clubs in you're area... strictly small time gigs or places you know you'll never wanna play at again.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bozlifyme View Post
    If they're really pissing you off, just stop the music and leave. Fuck em. Let them figure out how to DJ.

(Although I wouldn't suggest doing this at any influential clubs in you're area... strictly small time gigs or places you know you'll never wanna play at again.)
    Do you guys not have Bouncers in the places you work? I wouldn't want to be known as a Diva so that's probably the last thing I would do. If you needed to get the bouncers attention and they can't be seen then sure I would stop the music but I wouldn't walk out of there without at least trying to get the person thrown out.

Quote Originally Posted by djxsquizet View Post
    yea cause right now all I am doing is house parties because I live in a college town.

But I will be sure to use this advice.

yea 2 house parties ago I had this dude who got shit-faced for the first time and spill tequila on my laptop and midi controller. (mind you i used to have bad anger problems before I started Muay Thai) Lets say I almost went back to my old self just trained in kickboxing now lol.

But I dried everything off and everything worked just fine so I didn't hurt him.
    We had a hpuse party and I was on vinyl, my firend Tina got a little over excited and accidently threw a glass of vodka & soda over me, glass included. The glass hit me in the chest, bounced off the 1210 and landed by my foot.

Oh how we laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    Do you guys not have Bouncers in the places you work? I wouldn't want to be known as a Diva so that's probably the last thing I would do. If you needed to get the bouncers attention and they can't be seen then sure I would stop the music but I wouldn't walk out of there without at least trying to get the person thrown out.
    I'm talking about if the host/owner is busting you're balls about not knowing how to DJ. If you're getting paid (less than you should be) and the host of some random gig is just bitching at you and saying "you don't know how to DJ" or even the cardnial sin, asking you if "You're going to play any good music" ...then I guess it's up to you if it's worth you're time and dignity to stay there. Personally I'd rather just split and go do my own thing. It's not like it's the end of the world.

Now, if it's just some random dude requesting the same thing over and over or he messing with you, yeah... just signal the bouncer.

Ahh yeah in that case I would just yank out the cables, let everybody listen to some feedback and walk out with some chick lol.

Tech Student

It's always pretty tough especially when they keep coming back up asking about their song. I had a girl this weekend ask for a song I didn't have...she told me to look it up on youtube...I apologized and told her I didn't have internet connection. The same evening a guy comes up to request a song that I'm playing as he speaks -- he said, "Oh I guess I should listen more carefully next time". haha

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast