dealing with party guest - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by djalexlaine View Post
    its much better to be upfront and honest.
    incorrect

"Play some real Psy. Play some infected Mushroom!" "Sorry lady, i don't have time to explain to you that IM only have one album that can be classified as "Psy" and that was from '99, and how they have been falsly credited with being "pioneers" of the psy scene even tho they were 5 years too late... now they are pretty much electro with some guest vocalists for flavor ... and... ahhhhh just fuck off bitch!" Lol
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I was asked to play at a party last night by a friend. he said he would bring some playlists to chuck on. any way when i checked the facebook invite he was bigging himself up to be the dj and he has never evan touched a deck. when he pitched up he brought nothing so i ended up playing the whole eve. Half way through he approached me and asked if he could use my laptop to play some spotify. I told him to fxxk off and he had alot to learn. The people really enjoyed my set and now have several more parties booked.
    It's not the gear. It's how you use it.
    limitations are the source of creativity.
    If you don't practice you don't want it.

http://soundcloud.com/zimfella

this is how it should be done
    Samsung R780, Novation Launchpad
    NI AUDIODJ 2, DJTECH IMIX RELOAD, BEHRINGER BCD 3000, KORG NANOPAD
    VESTAX VMC002XL, NUMARK DM3000X, NUMARK TT200
    NI TRAKTOR DUO, VIRTUAL DJ 7 PRO FULL

Tech Wizard

Had a great one on Saturday:

"Turn this shit off. Play some Status Quo"
    "err... This is a Northern Soul night"
    "I don't care what night it is, play some Status Quo"
    "I'm very sorry, I don't have any with me tonight" (I mean hell, I can't bring all the Northern Soul vinyl that I want with me to these nights, never mind cater to some random drunk bint's whims on top)
    "I know the manager, I'm going to make sure you're sacked for this"
    "I'm good friends with the manager too, and he knows I'm going back to Ibiza next week, so it's no skin off my back"

Seriously, just the idea that someone could be so passionate about not having any Status Quo (on a Northern Soul night!) that they would put someone's job on the line because of it... you just have to laugh it's that petty.

Anyway, I spoke to the manager afterwards, just to give him the heads up:
    "Don't worry about her mate, She's just a fat, ugly bitch."

So karma does exist.

Fus

Way I see it, the music I play has nothing to do with what I want to play. It's all about what the most people in the room want to dance to.

I play mostly indie clubs, some top 40 stuff, and regularly have to let people down when they've requested stuff I really like, because I can guarantee that there'll be exactly two people in the room have heard it.

It's a case of learning to read your crowd, trusting your judgements and being a little bit professional.

The whole "no requests" thing is pretty lame though. In a lot of places, requests are the easiest way to read the crowd, not necessarily through playing exactly what people ask for, but rather to guage the mood of the room.

Flat out saying "no requests" comes across a little ignorant, to be honest.

Yeah....i get that at clubs when we have a Psytrance evening.

Its the same night....EVERY WEEK.

"Can you play some reggae....or alternative???"

This is while the dancefloor is HEAVING.....

"Sure lady.....I will make you happy and get stoned by the ENTIRE dancefloor!"
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    "Play some real Psy. Play some infected Mushroom!" "Sorry lady, i don't have time to explain to you that IM only have one album that can be classified as "Psy" and that was from '99, and how they have been falsly credited with being "pioneers" of the psy scene even tho they were 5 years too late... now they are pretty much electro with some guest vocalists for flavor ... and... ahhhhh just fuck off bitch!" Lol

Thats the one!!!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

i've found one of the easiest ways to deal with requests (that is polite) is saying "if i have it, i'll play it"

oops, don't have it. sorry! although i have got the "just youtube it!"

.. yeah probably not gonna do that
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Guru

Requests are a pain in the ass.

There is actually a group on FB for us that hate it:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/g...all&ref=search

Here is my story with it. When I first mixing when i was a pledge for my frat, i was using three things to "mix": itunes, hypemachine, and youtube, after this i DLed the VDJ trial and learned how to use it in and out. Got requests all night as i was plying open format music. Eventually got so mad i talked to some ppl about it and eventually was branded DJ "No Requests" for it. I find no offense to it, as its all in no ill will.

But I go with the "i dont have it" if i really dont, and then thers always the "can u just youtube it?" then i go "well i got no connection here

Gianmarco

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast