dealing with party guest - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by orca View Post

tekki LoLz

I am still missing the "Fuck off, I'm mixing shirt."

this is an good idea
    Well this used to be a regular until regular drive in djs started using them too.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

dj elitists unite!

How about this then?

Have you, as a DJ ever made a request? I sometimes do, only when I know he's finished mixing and he's doing nothing else..I always try and think of a song I like that's inkeeping with the set.

That being said, I live in a smallish town in Ireland and most dj's play rhianna or Journey so my music is never really inkeeping...ugh. So when I was for a John O Callaghan remix I usually get a "wtf?" face.

2dfruit:you have my compassion :eek: RIHANA is not good company
    and to the thread... ...as i never experienced an request,if it should happen to me i would choose the little lie...

Quote Originally Posted by Murat View Post
    "some kind of meat jukebox"
    Now *THAT's* a T-shirt.

This was my technique for girls... "You got it, but you'll have to give me some time as I have lots of other requests to get to". Eventually I'd try to get to it, but if I didn't and they ask me later "sorry I really tried, but there were just too many requests before yours and I ran out of time... come see me earlier next week and I'll get it on". Worked a charm, nobody ever mad, and because the ones whose tracks I didn't get to felt like I would pay them special attention next time, they usually came back next week. Didn't matter either way, full club with a line regardless, but always good to protect your night.

This was my technique for guys... "Okay man, I'll try to get to it in a little bit, but that group of girls over there (don't actually point or single out anyone though, just sorta give a nod like gesture) requested a couple songs and said they would get really crazy, like I'm talking Girls Gone Wild and stuff, so I'm going to get their tracks on as quick as I can". This works because 90-95% of guys who request a song will now be completely focused on every girl dancing thinking that they might see some boobs. and totally forget that they wanted to hear something. The other 5-10% of guys don't matter, you can tell they didn't fall for it, so then you move their track into the girls request pile.

not sure how lying would really be a big deal, are people going to have to chance to scope your whole collection and be like "LOOK! LOOK! HE'S GOT IT AND SAID HE DIDN'T! WHAT A BAD DJ BOOO!"

little white lies my friends
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Wizard

if they ask u for a song just tell them that the jukebox night is tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    It pisses me off too, man. In fact, I'm sure every DJ who has spun at a house party or club can sympathize.

The first thing I think you need to realize is that a lot of the crowd, especially as the booze starts flowing, couldn't give any less of a shit about the things we care about (ie mixing, transitions, tension, energy). They want to hear the songs they want to hear. I usually just tell them about how long it'll take me to get there. Also, if they become a real nuissance and you have a good relationship with whoever is running the party just give em a heads up so they aren't blind sided by some drunk chick crying about how you won't play their favorite song that they love to strip to, or something. And then he comes to you yelling about how drunk chicks could be naked if you'd just be a good DJ, and you get mad and throw something at him and he spills his drink all over your laptop "accidentally" and a fist fight breaks out and no one wins.

I usually just placate them, and the more they annoy me the less likely I am to play their request. But I'm an arrogant, elitist snob. *shrug* :-)

lmao!!!

Fukin PERFECT description man!

On that note...one of the only parties I ever played (a classic frat party on campus in....an actual...frat house) was a situation I thought was going to be just like that. However...surprisingly it wasnt. My friend (a Hardcore Gabber DJ turned mobile DJ) spun top 40 in the main room (everything from Brittany Spears to Black Eyed Peas).

I spun strictly EDM in the "hard alcohol room" for 4+ hrs starting with ambient breaks to old school trance to UK hardhouse to funky house to techno....and they loved it (with not ONE request). Perhaps my happy face is not as approachable and inviting as I thought it was.

Alcohol is a strange beast. Peace be to the arrogant, elitist snobs.

**cheers**
    Last edited by rvltion909; 06-09-2009 at 12:42 AM.
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

@Ean.....lying works well..agreed!

I play many Psytrance parties.
    You always get the girl asking for Infected Mushroom.

I just say, "This IS Infected Mushroom!"

"You don;t know this one?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast