How do you practice/what is your practice routine? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default memorizing....

do all of you guys know your tracks? i try to "freestyle mix" (no preselected songs) but when i go through my tracks, i have no idea what a lot of them are. i would have to prelisten to random tracks until i find a good one that may go well with the one that is playing on the speakers. Any good ideas on how to memorize songs or a good way of organizing?

I just did this...

I Keyed all my tracks/made sure traktor only took from itunes (Filled in most of the tags -- genre - artist - spellings .... gotta love applescripts -- www.davesapplescripts.com)

then imported em into traktor, made folders/playlisits separated by

Genre - Key - BPM - Intensity (when listening to tracks, i rate them 1-5 on their intensity so when your browsing you dont put on a chill song that seems to be in key and tempo range and blow the mix).

ive been at it for 2 weeks... and im still working on it but it gets easier as you go on, and when you just automatically do all of this to new tracks you dont have to go back and do it, and your music is wicked acessable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

I just kinda wing it.

Usually it's amazing, I hate how well I do until I turn on the record function that is. I guess I need to work on being relaxed at all times. I jump the gun when I know somebody besides my self is going to hear the work. I'm too self-conscious.
    Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    senior citizen's attics, the garbage dump, swamps, underwater treasure chests, graveyards, hollowed out tree stumps, abandoned coal mines.

My other thread on similar topic got closed. (Damn Mods! )

Anyway, I had found this one but seemed to be more aimed towards practise of the actual techniques rather than what I was asking. So, I'll post my question here again......

Do you just do it in your bedroom/home/garage/home studio etc or do you go down to a rehearsal room a few times a week?

I'm having issues at home with this cos I live in an apartment with my girlfriend. She regularly pops into my home studio, which is obviously distracting. Or I sway off and start looking at the net. Or start drifting into playing with Ableton and Reason instead of practising DJing.

Have been thinking of taking my laptop and controllers down to a proper rehearsal studio, hooking up to the PA system there and rehearsing like that so I can concentrate more on it.

Just wondering how everyone else rehearse in terms of location, putting yourself in the scenario etc rather than actual practise timetable/techniques etc....
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I just spin in my office. Used to be my bedroom, but yay for new place.

Practicing is different based on my goals. If I want to mix new tunes I usually sort by genre and see how they fit, what kind of EQ is required and how the vocals layer over other instrumentals. If something awesome happens I usually jot down notes for the next time.

I only use playlists if I want to put together a fancy mix with tons of stuff happening. I do a lot of improv when spinning live, but the cost of that is I don't do as many tricks, mainly because I'm busier focusing on how the next song will work.

Though, once I get the sample decks utilized as necessary, that might get easier.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by Bunford View Post
    Just wondering how everyone else rehearse in terms of location, putting yourself in the scenario etc rather than actual practise timetable/techniques etc....
    My home "studio" is set up so I'm standing behind my desk, looking out on the room and not at the wall. I find this gives me a lot more focus towards performing as this is how you do it in a club. I also practise with headphones and turn it up, as if to "immerse" myself. As for the girlfriend / wife distractions..... I mix when she's watching the TV!

Normal practice routine is bust out some vinyl, bit of beatjuggling and scratching, fire up Traktor, mix a few tunes, load up Ableton and mess about with a few new tunes. Everyday pretty much. With several bottles of beer.

@Bunford: The best advice I can give there is to not take it too seriously. I would find mixing in a dedicated practice studio is full of constraints and pressure to do well as you paid for the space and time. At least if you have a bad day mixing by home you've only lost a bit of pride and not money by hiring a studio.
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

Quote Originally Posted by theory28 View Post
    weekends for a bit.

and whenever i feel the urge on weekdays.

in prep for a recorded mix:
    i mix 2 songs together.
    pause.
    find the next track, find mix in/out points
    repeat.

then every few tracks ill take it from the top without stopping to make sure it still feels right and keeps a flow.

then once my playlist is set ill run through the whole thing at least once, then record it.
    +1

I do online classes so when im not writing music im doing mixing. Yes i know I live a sad boring life.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineypirate View Post
    My home "studio" is set up so I'm standing behind my desk, looking out on the room and not at the wall. I find this gives me a lot more focus towards performing as this is how you do it in a club.
    I like this. My desk is in front of my studio window. If I open up the windows it opens up onto pretty much central Cardiff so it's like playing a free gig to everyone who passes by
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunford View Post
    I like this. My desk is in front of my studio window. If I open up the windows it opens up onto pretty much central Cardiff so it's like playing a free gig to everyone who passes by
    It's when the light outside fades and only the blinking LED's and the target lights are all thats illuminating my desk, with my headphones on max chat that get's me on the high!
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

I personally started a podcast for practicing. I'll do the whole song selection by key, set cue points, mix and record once a week. Then uploading it so I can go back later and listen to what I can work on in the future. Also putting it out there for your friends to listen to and critique is encouragement for me.

But then again I am very meticulous with my mixes. I don't like to just throw songs in on the fly. I'm pretty planned and organized.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast