The Official Mix Techniques Thread! - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Tech Wizard

I have seen several technics using the delay effect and I have a question concerning this effect : the rate button sets the time of the delay in fractions of beats.
    So for example the 4/4 value which is one beat, does it mean that I will hear the echo of the beat number n when the beat number n+1 is playing ?
    Or does traktor use a buffer memory for that effect in order to record the length you set with the rate button when you turn the effect on ?
    Thank you a lot for your reply, I'm currently trying to understand in details each effect in order to know where I could use them the best ;-)

Banned

How do i create the echo effect in traktor pro 2?

On deck A, i select delay, on deck B i turn on dry/wet and the feedB button. Its nice effect to transition from Track A to B.

Any advice is appreciated.

Tech Wizard

Contributing!

I will share one of my favorite techniques that really help me gain a better understanding of electronic music and its structure. One of the reasons the structure is good to understand is because when you are familiar with the pattern in which songs are created - you can begin to mix with the same pattern.
    When mixing songs that are of the same genre and similar in structure (same key for bonus points):
    - Find an area that is very similar in length (my favorite is before the second breakdown).
    This will usually be 16 - 32 bars (pro tip: dont count the bars, simply scroll to the breakdown and roll back that many bars using loop controls).
    - Play the songs at the same time so the breakdown hits at exactly the same time. (great chance to use your OTHER new mixing techniques *hint hint*)
    - Exactly at the break cut to the new track.
    - Keep counting the beats (hopefully your in the habit of doing this anyway)
    - Using your headphones, the beat count, and your big sexy DJ brain - cut back over to the old track at some increment of 8 bars (8, 16, 32 this is just a rule of thumb, you can do 4s or even 2s depending on how it sounds). If the music is similar in genres and you are matched correctly, you can come up with some really really interesting combinations. A sort of remix-on-the-fly type sounds.

A few assumptions here for some of you newer DJs:
    * The music is beat matched (setting your cue point of your new track a good 16 or 32 bars before the breakdown will give you a great chance to practice manually beat matching with great results. Whats more, all you traktor users get to see whether or not your songs are in phrase leading up to the breakdown!)
    * The music is similar in genre (I do this with dubstep and have some really pleasing results sometimes. It works well with most genres of electronic music).
    * This is also a great way to begin to grasp and start to dabble more in what is known as "phrase mixing".

Like all of the other tips you have read - this sounds more complicated than it actually is!! Try it!
    My personal favorite is when the songs are beat matched, the same key, and phrase matched.

Can i bump my own comment?

:lease post short video clips of you demonstrating your technique::

I think it would be very beneficial to see for everyone - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kruse Control View Post
    Contributing!

I will share one of my favorite techniques that really help me gain a better understanding of electronic music and its structure. One of the reasons the structure is good to understand is because when you are familiar with the pattern in which songs are created - you can begin to mix with the same pattern.
    When mixing songs that are of the same genre and similar in structure (same key for bonus points):
    - Find an area that is very similar in length (my favorite is before the second breakdown).
    This will usually be 16 - 32 bars (pro tip: dont count the bars, simply scroll to the breakdown and roll back that many bars using loop controls).
    - Play the songs at the same time so the breakdown hits at exactly the same time. (great chance to use your OTHER new mixing techniques *hint hint*)
    - Exactly at the break cut to the new track.
    - Keep counting the beats (hopefully your in the habit of doing this anyway)
    - Using your headphones, the beat count, and your big sexy DJ brain - cut back over to the old track at some increment of 8 bars (8, 16, 32 this is just a rule of thumb, you can do 4s or even 2s depending on how it sounds). If the music is similar in genres and you are matched correctly, you can come up with some really really interesting combinations. A sort of remix-on-the-fly type sounds.

A few assumptions here for some of you newer DJs:
    * The music is beat matched (setting your cue point of your new track a good 16 or 32 bars before the breakdown will give you a great chance to practice manually beat matching with great results. Whats more, all you traktor users get to see whether or not your songs are in phrase leading up to the breakdown!)
    * The music is similar in genre (I do this with dubstep and have some really pleasing results sometimes. It works well with most genres of electronic music).
    * This is also a great way to begin to grasp and start to dabble more in what is known as "phrase mixing".

Like all of the other tips you have read - this sounds more complicated than it actually is!! Try it!
    My personal favorite is when the songs are beat matched, the same key, and phrase matched.
    This is a really good technique, there has been an increment of big dj's doing this. My question is what do you mean cut it back to the old track at increments? You mean crossfader cutting? And eventually fully cutting it on the drop to the old track?

Tech Wizard

Indeed! Cutting the crossfader back to the old track.

What I do is mix at the build up until the breakdown (when both tracks break down) and then cut entirely to the new track. Then after 8 or 16 bars of the new track I cut back to the old for 8 bars. It doesnt necessarily have to be 8 bars - it just has to stick with the beat.
    You can get pretty crazy with this. It works best when you know both of the songs really well. My personal favorite is cutting back to the old track right when I know there is a quick vocal before the end of the 8th bar and then cutting back into the new track right after the vocal.

The important part is keeping your tracks phrase matched.

So good to read all these tips!

How about just blending track A when it is ending with track B in its intro after beat matching and EQ arrange of course
    Before the bass from track B kicks in you stop track A after it finishes or let it finishes it will depend on the song.

keep the feedback!!!

Barnesor

Music in itself is a creativity. And once you add up some mixes it becomes more relishing.
    Mixing your music with vocals gives really some magical effect. Try once and enjoy!!

Tech Convert

OMG! Thank you for this thread, I've been looking for something like this on this forum for a while major ups to the thread creator

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456