The Official Mix Techniques Thread! - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Guru

We need a major bump on this people to update with there tips , Playing electro house a blend I always use is usually to let a play.... Play b on a's drop and slowly highpass filter a but leave it playing for about a bar or 2 then usually delay freeze it, either that or i think someones already mentioned cue sampling... Just getting a vocal bit of a track keep cueing it whilst highering the volume durng deck a's buildup then cue in a heavy bit and play on a's drop whilst killing a's bass then slow cross fade into b
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Tech Convert

A couple go to techniques for me include some planning:

With dance/house music, find the breakdown or buildups and mark them with fade in/fade out beatmarkers so you can see 'em coming. When Deck A track reaches a breakdown, switch it out for Deck B's breakdown by pressing pause/play on both decks (keyboard: press a and z at the same time). Always great for injecting spontaneity into the mix.

Alternatively, when you reach a breakdown, filter down the track that is playing as well as the track you are about to play- then fade over. If they're turned down enough, the filter sound will be similar, especially if the two songs are in key. Simply crossfade from one filtered song to the other and then bring the filter back out slowly for a cool transition.

I think with Live you can do most of the effects heavy transitions that you can do with Traktor, its just a matter of figuring out the equivalent effects i guess.

Because I usually mix groovier tech and progressive house my transitions tend to be more timing focused and as seamless as possible, as opposed to the more dancy stuff (electro, dubstep etc.) where you can mess around with effects more and it works with the genre. So im usually just trying to find the most appropriate sections to blend in to.

But as far as effects go, im not gonna lie, fade to grey is pretty awesome, its almost impossible to go wrong with that. Also I do a version of "echo-freeze" as well with live, works great going into the incoming track's breakdown.

Really dug that short mix as well Brad, some sick tracks in there.

Tech Mentor

Def would love videos with Traktor screencast on popular transitions.
    Ean did one for the basic ones, one for intermediates or even advanced would be awesome.

Just make them up as you play mate!

Once you understand how the timing works, there are LOADS of ways to transition.

I guess you are wanting to see\hear some examples.

Using the FX, there are a million ways\combo's to transition.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Bump

Tech Mentor

I got one here that I've been toying with

I was thinking (in traktor) one effect that is so cliche that it is UNDERUSED (imho) is the turntablefx.

Have a break cue'd up on deck B while deck A is in it's buildup (I would probably have a low pass filter or formant filter turned down on the cue'd deck) When deck A is finishing it's buildup and about to hit the drop, grab that TTFX and drop in the BREAK from deck B (double break? Kit-Kat?).

If it's short, wait for the new buildup, if it's long, just sweep the filter after a couple bars before dropping back into the original track.

Use this as a tease (a la "cue stabbing")

I also use the TTFX right before a track fades out, and leave a 4 beats of silence before dropping in the next track (cue'd to a downbeat and beatmatched, of course!)

...I think the second sounds better actually.... and much easier...haha
    If you feel something is limiting your creativity, the real problem is that you feel that your creativity can be limited.

YouTube
    SoundCloud

^^ post a video of that. if you dont mind... id like to see how you do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    ^^ post a video of that. if you dont mind... id like to see how you do that.
    the transition to a new track, or the kit-kat break?
    If you feel something is limiting your creativity, the real problem is that you feel that your creativity can be limited.

YouTube
    SoundCloud

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    one that i whore to death

effects chain; gater, lo-fi, delay

cut/fade in new track (b)
    set 8 beat loop on outgoing track (a)
    drop gater on 'a'
    then either some delay followed by lo-fi or other way round on 'a'
    progessively reduce loop size (optional) on 'a'
    increase key and twist the filter knob in lo-cut direction (clockwise) on 'a'
    get it sounding messed up and glitchy
    when ready to cut, crank delay on 'a' all way up, stop deck and kill gater/lo-fi effects, leave delay to fade out

few varied examples in this vid

blatant plug
    Fuckin' A On that mixing man, thats a flawless technique.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast