Akai APC20/APC40 : any good for cue point juggling ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Akai APC20/APC40 : any good for cue point juggling ?

Hello everyone,

I was thinking about buying an Akai APC20 to use with traktor, mainly for cue points and FX. I like the big amount of buttons and faders. But the only reason I didn't buy it yet, is this :

Are buttons any good for cue point juggling ? Would it be possible to do all those crazy DJTechtools juggle routines on it ? Or are the buttons not good enough for that ?

I didn't see anyone on YouTube using it for this purpose and I don't know place where I can test it myself. So I am counting on your experiences.

So pleace, share your experiences with me.

You probably need to check this out in the store yourself. I've an APC40 myself and although the buttons are fine and responsive, they might be a bit to small to handle the real 'hardcore' thumbing . Also the buttons might be to small, and you'd like to have pads (or bigger buttons) for juggling.

Therefore I ordered a Midi Fighter myself in addition to my APC40 to handle the real juggling stuff (but I don't know yet whether it will be better for real, need to test it first).

The main advantage is that the APC40 customisations possibilities are amazing, I'm currently building an MF-style mapping for the APC40 but as this has more buttons, there are way more options.

Tech Convert

Hey timmio I have this dilemma as well about which midi controller to work with traktor and if it possible to set on the same laptop use with ableton live as well.
    Is it easy to set up the midi and led feedback with apc40 and traktor?
    Do you have to use any other software or hack to achieve this on the traktor midi set up is enough?
    Thanks.

The APC works well on both Ableton and Traktor. For traktor you don't need a specific hack, although if you want full control over led's etc in Traktor then you need to use that dumb mode trick (open ableton, close ableton, open traktor) .

On a Mac it is even better as you can use the 'send monitor state' commands which updates your leds, on the Windows machine you need some more mapping on modifiers (I'm busy with that as well).

So you need to spend some time on mapping in Traktor, but that is mostly to decide on what you want to do with all those buttons, the mapping itself is easy

Tech Convert

I just ordered the new macbookpro so should be easy.
    I couldn't find any tutorial how to do the send monitor state, I heard on pc doesn't work very well.
    I was wondering about the launchpad as well, how hard would be to have the led feedback, which one would be easier to work with other software.
    Do I must have ableton installed on my machine to work with the apc ou launchpad?
    Sorry for hijacking the thread.
    thanks

You don't need Ableton, the controllers will work fine without it.

Tech Convert

Aren't there anymore people who use it for cue point juggling ?

No idea....

But the answer is YES!!!

Since getting it....all i seem to want to do is jump cue points and make FX!

It took a little getting used to the little pads....buts its KILLER!

Specially using it with Traktor. Used to use the VCI....but you had to change modes to get to Cue Points etc. Now its all there on one layer.

Its sick.

You won;t go wrong!

I have had mine 3 weeks....and I am sold on it. My VCI is jealous!

I have set them both up in Traktor...using a TSI from Steph...and the DJTT VCI mapping.

I leave the VCI in FX mode....and use its crate scroll function etc.
    For the rest....its the APC40.

GET IT!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Convert

If i would buy an Akai APC 20, i would like to use the faders to control the FX. But when i look at pictures of the APC, I see that there isn't much space between the faders.

Do you think that this gonna be a problem ? (touching other fader when you don't want to)

PS : I don't have thick fingers

Quote Originally Posted by becomingdj View Post
    If i would buy an Akai APC 20, i would like to use the faders to control the FX. But when i look at pictures of the APC, I see that there isn't much space between the faders.

Do you think that this gonna be a problem ? (touching other fader when you don't want to)

PS : I don't have thick fingers
    Hi there, i´ve a APC40 and made a preety solid mapping for TPro. It has a function for cuepoint juggle, but i have to be honest.

I dont think it is the best solution for that, you can use it but its hard to get triplets notes on tempo with the little buttons.

Im thinking about getting a midi fighter to complete my apc40. Even so i would no remove the cue point functionality of my tsi because i can jump from loops and do simple beat juggle rutines, the led feedback is just awesome.

As for the faders they are designed to be a studio mixer, they are not intended for traditional dj setup. But they are usable a little stiff but they will do the job just perfect.

If i was you i would go for the midi fighter and apc20 or 40 depending on your needs.

Greets.
    "Dance Dance Dance just being a geek"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast