Want a script to stop non-Traktor essential Windows services? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hello mate,

Here goes....

1. The sticky is for people who really want to go to town on their system to get max performance for their Traktor set up. This takes much more time than just running the script and will create a bare-bones Traktor environment that's much like a rally car - lightweight, fast and safe but with none of the luxuries and comforts (Like Aero, Fancy themes, Search, Wifi etc...). Let's say you go through all the items on the sticky, you can still run the script. A proportion of the services that the script kills will have already been disabled through the sticky directions. There are however a couple of dozen additional services that the script will knock out on top. The script makes no permanent changes so try it out and if you find it helps, use it.

In my opinion vendor installs are the devil. I think I posted a comparison of my Samsung machine running the shipped install versus a clean install using a Windows 7 disk. The vendor install hogged somewhere between 30-50% more resources. While you can remove all the programs in the world and use various cleaning utilities you can never really remove everything that was once installed. Whenever I am working on a new machine I ditch the recovery/restore disk that shipped with it and go straight for a clean install. it's an hour or two extra on my time upfront but it saves hours in the long run. I work for a software company so I have access to a wide range of legitimately licensed operating systems, for many "normal" people that's not an option. You are not "supposed" to take your Windows license key which is normally stuck to the underside of your machine and use it to license and activate a standard copy of the same windows version but its not always that black and white. Ideally you might want to shop around for a standard Win7 Basic. Yeah, it is money you "already spent" on that license that came with your machine but that OEM license didn't increase the price of your machine by more than $10-20.

Nero? For Burning - not sure - don't use it. I do have Wave Editor but I run that on a separate partition.

My parting advice is, if you have a new laptop that doesn't have too much baggage - now is the time to format and reload the operating system. Install Traktor first, use the Create System Image tool in the Accessories > Maintenance menu. That will create a snapshot of your entire system so if you have to reload it, you don't have to do the install and config stuff again and it will have all the applications you have installed and your settings.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/micr...-system-image/

Add any extra apps, tools, drivers in one by one. If you find you add something that drops your performance just use the image you created to revert back to clean environment. This is also a bloody good insurance policy in general.

All of this may be overkill when the new Traktor version comes out but it's really easy to add stuff to Windows and a f*****g pain in the arse to take it away.

Ok, that's enough out of me....
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Thanks mate - enlightening as always. At risk of sounding like a spoilt brat - I have 2 laptops. My Acer 5320 sits at work (email, diary, (medical) accounting software, iTunes for work (pipe music through practice) etc. My asus is a PURE TOY - dedicated to mixing/listening/gigging/fiddling with Traktor (currently with X1/Audio2). I have the ORIGINAL W7 (Ultimate) DISC that I bought from a mate that works at Microsoft. I'm anal, like things lean & mean and suffer from DELETE-itis - there's NO crap on my asus. I am going for your sticky - from top to bottom. As I said, my friendly nerd will do the honours. I like the idea of working UP from the bare essentials, rather than down from the excess baggage. Will keep you posted. I should get my S4 this week - should I strip existing TP and drivers in the interim?
    Thanks as always.

No worries mate. I think your TP stuff is probably fine to leave.

Tech Wizard

Heya smitten or anyone, is there a way a can configure my script to automatically press "y" for the few tasks it ask If Im sure i want to stop the service. I would like to be able to just run the script and not have to keep pressing yes like 5 times.

you can add: /yes to the end of the lines of the service you want to stop.

Example: net stop "Bonjour Service" /yes

Tech Wizard

sweet! I'll give it a try later thanks :]

Check out Game Booster.

"Game Booster v2 can easily and fast close background processes and unnecessary Windows services, to speed up you game playing and avoid possible conflicts and incompatibility. With the innovative "Enhanced 3rd parties' services detection" technology, Game Booster v2 can automatically detect and close more unnecessary background services."
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

Does this work with serato? Just curious.

It should work with any DJ software, you are just stopping Windows services etc. that are unnessecary for running that software.

You can add the script to gamebooster also.

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    It should work with any DJ software, you are just stopping Windows services etc. that are unnessecary for running that software.

You can add the script to gamebooster also.
    What he said.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123