Pioneer DDJ-T1 - A slap in the face for Traktor users !!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by aviatorman View Post

SLAP #2-The Serato controller has XLR outs- the Traktor version has 1/4" outs. That is a slap. DID YOUR HEAR IT ?????
    If you know anything about professional standards, you might have heard of XLR's...

this made me laugh....

yes XLRs are a standard connector for balanced signals in professional audio....

...but so are 1/4" jacks im afraid to inform you...its still a balanced audio signal...

in fact, ive just looked around my studio and realised that most of it uses 1/4" balanced outputs and inputs...my compressors, crossover, efx, graphic eq, meter bridge, moog voyager, microkorg....

oh and its all connected via a 32 way jack field lol
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Wizard

SLAP #7 - Say goodbye to song searches- NO QWERTY. Remember- your keyboard is BURIED! This is a fundamental advantage of digital DJing.
    controllers surfaced, but all the excitement has worn down. I finally started opening my eyes.
    You don't have to put your laptop under the controller. Pioneer even indicated that the legs can be removed so it lays flat.

SLAP #8 - The Traktor Pioneer unit has it's very own "customized" version of Traktor software. Big mistake by Native Instruments. They should stick to the program that is uniformly better. Plus, they have Traktor Pro 2 coming in the horizon. You are out-of-the-loop with customization in the Pioneer market. So what happens when we get a NEW version of software? You go out and buy a NEW controller and empty your wallet all over again!
    The pioneer video I saw, the rep said the custom version allows 4 decks and fx (LE doesn't allow 4 decks). So its an upgraded version of LE. But the video also said you can use Advanced FX if you upgrade. In other words, you aren't locked into that specific version of traktor and you can upgrade to traktor pro 2.

Now about those VU meters... yeah I agree.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by BennyJ View Post
    to me id rather look at the screen..,mainly cuz my vci has to visual feedback but i see yout point.

Man up?? Haha im 6' 4'' looking down gets tiring quick.
    Yeah, it can't be that heavy. I used to take 200+ records to a gig and I would wear my back out before I even hit the decks! :-P

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    this made me laugh....

yes XLRs are a standard connector for balanced signals in professional audio....

...but so are 1/4" jacks im afraid to inform you...its still a balanced audio signal...

in fact, ive just looked around my studio and realised that most of it uses 1/4" balanced outputs and inputs...my compressors, crossover, efx, graphic eq, meter bridge, moog voyager, microkorg....

oh and its all connected via a 32 way jack field lol
    Hey if you got mostly 1/4" jacks and no xlr's in your studio then I hate to inform you that you probably don't have the finest equipment in the analog realm.
    Also, i 'd take XLR's any day over 1/4 inch jacks in a club.
    Maybe your probably comfortable with 1/4 inch because you're an avid bedroom DJ.
    I don't know who taught you about audio but I sure as hell know the difference between balanced and unbalanced... So,why did they add XLR to the Serato version and not the Traktor version ?
    Also- 1/4" has a tendency to short more... brainiac !!!

Tech Wizard

I think Pioneer have gone from the industry standard to a step behind.. I think they made these controllers with the intention of keeping their 2000s the industry standard. Just my 2 cents..

Tech Guru

Hey if you got mostly 1/4" jacks and no xlr's in your studio then I hate to inform you that you probably don't have the finest equipment in the analog realm.
    Also, i 'd take XLR's any day over 1/4 inch jacks in a club.
    Maybe your probably comfortable with 1/4 inch because you're an avid bedroom DJ.
    I don't know who taught you about audio but I sure as hell know the difference between balanced and unbalanced... So,why did they add XLR to the Serato version and not the Traktor version ?
    Also- 1/4" has a tendency to short more... brainiac !!!
    i wouldnt say i do have 'the finest', im not a millionaire nor been spoon fed money by parents, but its got me to where i am today, and thats not being a bedroom DJ...ive been at it for 12 years and have played all over the UK and Ireland....producing for 7 with releases on 4 labels....

also, id say a good 95% of studio equipment has balanced jacks..

as for the 'taught me about audio'...my day job is broadcast engineering...which yes equipment wise is dominated by XLRs, the main reason for that is the fact they latch...oh and most broadcast CTA's will have a patch bay made up of what....? you've guessed it...jacks, albeit Bantam jacks, but jacks none the less, all passing balanced audio....ur statement seemed to make out that jacks arent/cant be balanced...

why pioneer put jacks on, i dont know, maybe they were tight on space, but in reality, it makes no real odds, wont sound any different...will just be a bit more annoying to wire up in a club...but to be honest, i dont care, i wont be buying one
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

If you don't put your laptop underneath that T1 the Pioneer reps are going to come over to your gig and and beat you over the head until you do. You're not allowed to put the laptop wherever you want! In fact, the T1 doesn't even turn on unless your laptop is sitting under it.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    i wouldnt say i do have 'the finest', im not a millionaire nor been spoon fed money by parents, but its got me to where i am today, and thats not being a bedroom DJ...ive been at it for 12 years and have played all over the UK and Ireland....producing for 7 with releases on 4 labels....

also, id say a good 95% of studio equipment has balanced jacks..

as for the 'taught me about audio'...my day job is broadcast engineering...which yes equipment wise is dominated by XLRs, the main reason for that is the fact they latch...oh and most broadcast CTA's will have a patch bay made up of what....? you've guessed it...jacks, albeit Bantam jacks, but jacks none the less, all passing balanced audio....ur statement seemed to make out that jacks arent/cant be balanced...

why pioneer put jacks on, i dont know, maybe they were tight on space, but in reality, it makes no real odds, wont sound any different...will just be a bit more annoying to wire up in a club...but to be honest, i dont care, i wont be buying one
    Look- this thread is not about XLR vs. 1/4" !!!
    BUT, since you are on the topic:
    You are mixing up the studio environment with the live environment.
    I know that balanced TRS's are the same soundwise:higher dB output with less signal-to-noise ratio, but when you are thrust into a club, you would not have to worry about an XLR's connection as much as a 1/4".
    You have to see the physical advantages of XLR's over 1/4" plugs over the years as in the tradition of Bozak, Urei, Rane, Vestax etc.
    I am also a little peckish at Pioneer for releasing 2 semi-identical units that harness the same functions, but have discriminated Traktor users by not having the benefit of solid XLR connections in the back of the unit.

The S4 has balanced 1/4's, but if they made their next controller with XLR's- the choice would be a no-brainer for DJ's that understand the benefits of a live setup.
    What you have in your studio will less likely be subjected to the perils of the plug-in-and-play schematic that countless bars and nightclubs have to offer.
    FYI
    My years of DJing paid every red cent for my studio. Nuff said!!!

All i can say is not bad for Pioneer 1st pair of DJ midi controllers. If you dont like, hey their are plenty of traktor controllers on the market.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    All i can say is not bad for Pioneer 1st pair of DJ midi controllers. If you dont like, hey their are plenty of better traktor controllers on the market.
    fixed
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast