PA Systems

Thread: PA Systems

Tech Wizard

Default PA Systems

Ok, beyond knowing more watts = more noise (and even that statement should be taken with a pinch of salt i now know). I am looking to invest in a PA system for house parties etc. Any recommendations? I am looking for a bargain at the moment but i've got an internship in the next 6 months so will start getting some money to buy a very decent system so may wait until then.

Any advice is welcomed my friends (probably passive speakers)...

Mackie Thumps are highly recomended, although they are active.
    I have also heard the Matrix 1000 B-52 V2 is a good inexpensive choice, but also active.

Yeah id go with the Mackies

+1 on the B52 Matrix V1000 set.

I picked one up used at GC for 500...

Was really bummed to see the V1200 set get reduced to 600 like right afterwards... heh.

I love the system though, extremely modular, and PLENTY loud for my needs.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

Tech Wizard

Mackie thump seem to have decent reviews. Anyone had any use of these in a barn or outside or could comment on what they would be like in that environment?

Tech Guru

Sound is not measured in watts...and watts are about the least interesting parameter for evaluating how loud or how good a sound system will be.

For EDM, you are probably better off with tops and subs.

In general, tops should be loaded with a 10" or 12" woofer. A 15" woofer on top duty is 50% heavier and 33% larger than it needs to be for >100Hz content. Smaller woofers will give up 1-2dB of output...in trade you get smaller/lighter tops, better horizontal dispersion, better clarity in the mid-bass, and (in most cases) better low end extension.

For subs, 15" is a reasonable compromise between SPL output, clarity, and portability.

For "two speakers on sticks" active can be a reasonable choice...but as your system grows, paying for separate amps and electronics with every cabinet provides a quickly diminishing return.

For <$1000 the B52 Matrix 1000 v2 is the only reasonable choice. Street price on this is about $800...but you will need speaker stands, speaker cables, and signal cables. So, $1000 is about the right "out the door" price. (Plus tax and/or shipping.)

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    Sound is not measured in watts...and watts are about the least interesting parameter for evaluating how loud or how good a sound system will be.

For EDM, you are probably better off with tops and subs.

In general, tops should be loaded with a 10" or 12" woofer. A 15" woofer on top duty is 50% heavier and 33% larger than it needs to be for >100Hz content. Smaller woofers will give up 1-2dB of output...in trade you get smaller/lighter tops, better horizontal dispersion, better clarity in the mid-bass, and (in most cases) better low end extension.

For subs, 15" is a reasonable compromise between SPL output, clarity, and portability.

For "two speakers on sticks" active can be a reasonable choice...but as your system grows, paying for separate amps and electronics with every cabinet provides a quickly diminishing return.

For <$1000 the B52 Matrix 1000 v2 is the only reasonable choice. Street price on this is about $800...but you will need speaker stands, speaker cables, and signal cables. So, $1000 is about the right "out the door" price. (Plus tax and/or shipping.)
    ^TRUTH.

My B52 Setup was like $750 OTD with stands, and cables used from GC. Not the best reference price, $1000 is a good figure to look at.

It is WORTH IT for smaller parties, like up to 150. The dual 15" tops I run on its powered outs for larger parties are really not optimal, they just work for now until I replace it all with Funktion.

I'm looking at like 10k ish for what I want from JBL, and from the Funktion dealer I can go through, a comparable system is going to be like 15k, so like, if I'm going to invest in live sound, the Funktion Just makes sense.

Especially because the Funktion cabs are specifically designed to be ground stacking, or flown in a line array configuration. So as I get more I can just get flying hardware and have that option with ought having to get different "line array" specific cabs.

Speakers are fun
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.