Headphones - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Headphones

Tech Mentor

oliosky, you certainly don't quote spec sheets, you just ape whatever the heck you see other artists use rather than judge something as important and varied as headphones using this thing called your own ears. I've given advice based on experience and having so many headphones and earphones. My headphones and earphones runs the gamut from inexpensive to top end. They all have different uses. Some are for in studio vocals monitoring, some are just for enjoyment, some are for DJ uses. You claim to have used many headphones for DJing yet you write off the dramatic difference between a pair of V6/7056 and HD-25 and HDJ-2000's as simply being nuanced differences, either you're completely deaf or you simply never bothered to compare and contrast. Either way, you're in no position to give advice on headphones ESPECIALLY when your strongest argument boils down to "Hey, look at all these famous people, they are rocking the V6/7056, that means it MUST be good!" According to your logic, everybody should rock those Dre Beats Pros even though they are at least $200 overpriced for what they are, because according to your logic, if one sees famous people rocking something a lot, it must be great (and the Beats Pros are practically everywhere on the DJ scene).

Tech Guru

Paragraphs bro.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    Paragraphs bro.
    I did use paragraphs. I'm sorry if you lack the ability to understand that paragraphs usually do not consist of just the 3 sentence minimum or 140 character tweets.

So now we know, not only are you not very reliable in regards to giving headphone advice, you're also not very reliable on understanding what a paragraph is. Tsk tsk. Or maybe you just haven't see top DJs write and thus figure that hey, they tweet a lot so now paragraphs must magically be a 140 characters and if longer, it's going to be TLDR territory. Good job. What's next?

Tech Guru

Your grammar is somewhat questionable as well.

Seems I'm pretty fucking good at winding you up too.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    Your grammar is somewhat questionable as well.

Seems I'm pretty fucking good at winding you up too.
    Coming from you, I'll take my chances with my grammar.

I listened to the V-Modas in the Apple store in SF side by side with some other headphones including TMAs, B+Ws and a few others I don't remember. There were Senns there but not the 25s. Everything sounded better than the V-Modas. Not by much -- I was actually surprised at how acceptable the sound was as I was expecting them to sound like WESCs or Skull Candy -- but they were still my last choice both from a DJ perspective and from a listener perspective. They also were poor in terms of sound isolation, at least compared to other DJ headphones (to me the TMAs - and probably the Senns since the design is similar - provide excellent sound isolation).
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dookiex View Post
    Coming from you, I'll take my chances with my grammar.
    What? No snide several hundred word response? I am disappointed.

Tech Mentor

Arguing about headphones...

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

This is fun

For DJ purposes you should only need 4 things.

1. Hear the frequencies well enough without straining your ears
    2. Be loud enough to handle a festival or whopper club sound system
    3. Be durable
    4. Be comfortable after an 8 hour set.
    5. Provide adequate sound isolation.

You don't need an analytical headphone in a loud club, you also don't need the loudest headphone for cueing if you can hear the parts you need. You also don't need the most expensive headphones out there - IMHO picking phones for LIVE dj'ing is a lot easier than a singer or band.

You should know your tracks well enough that once you hear any semblance of a high hat, drum beat, vocal or synth that you can mix the tracks - actual sound quality barely comes into play, so long as you aren't distorting the headphones.

A $15 set of Ross headphones tick almost all the boxes apart from durability.
    A $40 set of Sony v500's ticks most of the boxes apart from durability.
    A set of skull candy's tick most of the boxes apart from durability.
    A set of Beats pro's tick most of the boxes apart from durability.
    A set of beats studio's (not pro's) ticks all the boxes
    A set of Vmoda's ticks all the boxes
    A set of hd25's tick all the boxes
    A set of sony mdr-v6 / 7506 ticks all the boxes
    A set of T1's ticks all the boxes
    A set of Pio HDJ2000's ticks all the boxes

But thats for Live - working Dj'ing though - plain and simple off ear monitoring.

Now when it comes to home/studio/library/ipod/bedroom dj, its a completely different story, you want high quality sound at lower levels + comfort + isolation (so you don't annoy your mum/gf/wife etc ..)

Personally for a multipurpose headphone its the V6's/7506 for me, if i'm on my iPod I use the treble reducer so the edge is taken off and I don't get fatigued, they generally make stuff sound like it should, love it or hate it.

Through the years, I've had Hd25 & SP models for DJ'ing (until stolen) Sennheiser 414's for home listening (really nice cozy headphones), v500's for DJing, Behringer HPX4000 (was stuck), Ross Headphones (Really stuck but they lasted a year) as well as a few more seen models which escape me and a few more "no-name" brands as well.

My Sony's have lasted over 12 long years of abuse now though and sound better than ever and I haven't had any reason to replace them or found anything else that i'm comfortable enough with to try just yet.

Buy well once and you will not need another headphone for years. Its really down to personal preference - the good brands are quite simply good for the most part, pioneer 1000's excluded.
    Last edited by deevey; 02-01-2012 at 06:11 AM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    I listened to the V-Modas in the Apple store in SF side by side with some other headphones including TMAs, B+Ws and a few others I don't remember. There were Senns there but not the 25s. Everything sounded better than the V-Modas. Not by much -- I was actually surprised at how acceptable the sound was as I was expecting them to sound like WESCs or Skull Candy -- but they were still my last choice both from a DJ perspective and from a listener perspective. They also were poor in terms of sound isolation, at least compared to other DJ headphones (to me the TMAs - and probably the Senns since the design is similar - provide excellent sound isolation).
    Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    This is fun

For DJ purposes you should only need 4 things.

1. Hear the frequencies well enough without straining your ears
    2. Be loud enough to handle a festival or whopper club sound system
    3. Be durable
    4. Be comfortable after an 8 hour set.
    5. Provide adequate sound isolation.

You don't need an analytical headphone in a loud club, you also don't need the loudest headphone for cueing if you can hear the parts you need. You also don't need the most expensive headphones out there - IMHO picking phones for LIVE dj'ing is a lot easier than a singer or band.

You should know your tracks well enough that once you hear any semblance of a high hat, drum beat, vocal or synth that you can mix the tracks - actual sound quality barely comes into play, so long as you aren't distorting the headphones.

A $15 set of Ross headphones tick almost all the boxes apart from durability.
    A $40 set of Sony v500's ticks most of the boxes apart from durability.
    A set of skull candy's tick most of the boxes apart from durability.
    A set of Beats pro's tick most of the boxes apart from durability.
    A set of beats studio's (not pro's) ticks all the boxes
    A set of Vmoda's ticks all the boxes
    A set of hd25's tick all the boxes
    A set of sony mdr-v6 / 7506 ticks all the boxes
    A set of T1's ticks all the boxes
    A set of Pio HDJ2000's ticks all the boxes

But thats for Live - working Dj'ing though - plain and simple off ear monitoring.

Now when it comes to home/studio/library/ipod/bedroom dj, its a completely different story, you want high quality sound at lower levels + comfort + isolation (so you don't annoy your mum/gf/wife etc ..)

Personally for a multipurpose headphone its the V6's/7506 for me, if i'm on my iPod I use the treble reducer so the edge is taken off and I don't get fatigued, they generally make stuff sound like it should, love it or hate it.

Through the years, I've had Hd25 & SP models for DJ'ing (until stolen) Sennheiser 414's for home listening (really nice cozy headphones), v500's for DJing, Behringer HPX4000 (was stuck), Ross Headphones (Really stuck but they lasted a year) as well as a few more seen models which escape me and a few more "no-name" brands as well.

My Sony's have lasted over 12 long years of abuse now though and sound better than ever and I haven't had any reason to replace them or found anything else that i'm comfortable enough with to try just yet.

Buy well once and you will not need another headphone for years. Its really down to personal preference - the good brands are quite simply good for the most part, pioneer 1000's excluded.
    Ahh thank you guys for a more unbiased opinion. I think I will go to the apple store today or tomorrow and see what they have. I have the worst head cold I have ever had in my life right now so perhaps I should wait until it subsides as to gain a more accurate opinion of the phones.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast