Headphones - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Headphones

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    Bullshit. If Derrick Carter uses them, some hack playing in the best top 40 club in bumfuck nowhere will be absolutely fine.
    That's complete bullshit as well because I've seen top dawg DJ's rocking some really piss poor phones. Headphones are as much of a personal preference thing as sticking stickers on your gear but when one is discussing sound quality, sound quality is quantifiable. Just because a certain DJ is use to using them doesn't mean that they offer the best SQ, it just means that the DJ rocking them is used to them. I have over a dozen pairs of full sized headphones along with lots of IEMs and two pairs of customs. Trust me when I tell you this, but V6 and 7506 Sony's whilst being serviceable for DJing, you're much better off with other phones on the market.
    Last edited by dookiex; 01-31-2012 at 10:48 PM.

Tech Guru

yay you with all your headphones. i too have used many many headphones over the time I've been DJing. The V6s are absolutely fine for DJing. They are flat, clear and last a long time.

Debating the minor nuances of sound quality for accross good quality dj headphones is redundant. HD25s often dont fit people very well, the pioneers regularly break and cost a fortune. The v6s are comfortable, sound good, go loud and don't cost a fortune if you lose them, spill a beer on them or stand on them after your 10th shot of patron...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    yay you with all your headphones. i too have used many many headphones over the time I've been DJing. The V6s are absolutely fine for DJing. They are flat, clear and last a long time.

Debating the minor nuances of sound quality for accross good quality dj headphones is redundant. HD25s often dont fit people very well, the pioneers regularly break and cost a fortune. The v6s are comfortable, sound good, go loud and don't cost a fortune if you lose them, spill a beer on them or stand on them after your 10th shot of patron...
    That's the problem with V6s. They have a very flat response. They are very similar to Etymotics in sound. However, ideally, you want a emphasis on both the highs and a lot of emphasis on the lows. Why? Because you need to hear the beat AS WELL as things like the high hats. The V6 could do the job but you also will need to crank them higher. Why risk hurting your hearing even more due to a inefficiency in the phones? They are simply ok for monitoring (as in, if you're out shooting footage and you need to monitor the sound from the mics) purposes but not great for DJing. They are of course popular because they are relatively cheap. People tend to not care when they break or when they lose them. I've had two pairs of 7506's and one pair of V6, your description of their durability is very inaccurate. The headphones themselves will hold up well but that cord isn't anywhere near what I would call super durable. The cord is basically the weak point of durability on the V6/7506. It's great that something is inexpensive and you don't mind losing or breaking them, but think about this, because you now don't really care, you end up losing and breaking them more because you tend to treat them like redheaded step children. Now if one was to have invested a good amount of money on something, one is going to be MUCH more attentive to their purchase and thus MUCH LESS likely to lose or damage their purchases. At the end of the day, it's like I said, spend more now to get a higher quality product and you will be using it for years to come in which the thing basically ends up saving you money.

As for your comment about HD-25 and how they don't fit well on people's heads, the majority of the complains are from new owners and that is mostly due to them never having had used headclamp style headphones. This complaint basically goes away after the first week or so. Your comment about Pioneers being not very durable, that's a complete crock if you actually had any experience with the HDJ-2000s. They are near indestructible and this goes all the way down to the cord and the mini XLR locking connection. The HDJ-2000s are MILES away from the other Pioneer phones. Durability is NOT a concern on the HDJ-2000s.

Basically at the end of the day, you suggesting so adamantly about the V6, you might as well just suggest to the person to go and find whatever headphones they can find that they can crank really loud as long as it's around $50-$70. Obviously how the phones sounds isn't something you care about.
    Last edited by dookiex; 01-31-2012 at 11:09 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by dookiex View Post
    If you wear glasses, they COULD pose a problem depending on how the arms of your glasses sits over and around your ears. If not, it's not really that bad, you'll get use to the pressure. The isolation on the HD-25-1 ii's are PHENOMENAL. The outside world is basically dead to you. You should also definitely check out the Pioneer HDJ-2000's. They only cost about $30 more than the Senns (I found that B&H has them for the lowest price) and are considerably more comfortable as they sit AROUND your ears. However, the HDJ-2000's have considerably heavier emphasis on the lower frequency response so, if you're a stickler for wanting to hear your music as true to the source as possible, then you might probably want to stick with the Senns, if you're ok with the extra oomph in the bass department, definitely try out the HDJ-2000s
    I do wear glasses, oakley glasses that have straight arms...ahhh! But I probably wouldn't wear my glasses if I were gigging or even studying as I am nearsighted.
    This is such a tough decision I wish I could test them all out somewhere. HDJ2ks seem a bit too much for me price wise as well as my intended purpose.

you brought up that certain dj's use headphones even if they are sub par to other ones and one example I can see is that when I watched the tomorrowland video I saw avicii using the crossfades which I guess is part of my argument for them. Not the fact that "oh i want to have all the gear avicii uses" but more along the lines of if he was able to use these to mix in front of tens of thousands of people then it must be fine for me.

Do you think guitar center will carry these phones?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dookiex View Post
    That's the problem with V6s. They have a very flat response. They are very similar to Etymotics in sound. However, ideally, you want a emphasis on both the highs and a lot of emphasis on the lows. Why? Because you need to hear the beat AS WELL as things like the high hats. The V6 could do the job but you also will need to crank them higher. Why risk hurting your hearing even more due to a inefficiency in the phones? They are simply ok for monitoring (as in, if you're out shooting footage and you need to monitor the sound from the mics) purposes but not great for DJing. They are of course popular because they are relatively cheap. People tend to not care when they break or when they lose them. I've had two pairs of 7506's and one pair of V6, your description of their durability is very inaccurate. The headphones themselves will hold up well but that cord isn't anywhere near what I would call super durable. The cord is basically the weak point of durability on the V6/7506. It's great that something is inexpensive and you don't mind losing or breaking them, but think about this, because you now don't really care, you end up losing and breaking them more because you tend to treat them like redheaded step children. Now if one was to have invested a good amount of money on something, one is going to be MUCH more attentive to their purchase and thus MUCH LESS likely to lose or damage their purchases. At the end of the day, it's like I said, spend more now to get a higher quality product and you will be using it for years to come in which the thing basically ends up saving you money.

As for your comment about HD-25 and how they don't fit well on people's heads, the majority of the complains are from new owners and that is mostly due to them never having had used headclamp style headphones. This complaint basically goes away after the first week or so. Your comment about Pioneers being not very durable, that's a complete crock if you actually had any experience with the HDJ-2000s. They are near indestructible and this goes all the way down to the cord and the mini XLR locking connection. The HDJ-2000s are MILES away from the other Pioneer phones. Durability is NOT a concern on the HDJ-2000s.

Basically at the end of the day, you suggesting so adamantly about the V6, you might as well just suggest to the person to go and find whatever headphones they can find that they can crank really loud as long as it's around $50-$70. Obviously how the phones sounds isn't something you care about.
    The OP wants a set of cans for around $150. None of the cans you suggest come anywhere near that price.

For that price the V6s are more than adequate. And they have been more than adequate for DJs the world over for decades.

Sound is definitely something i care about. But i don't sit naked next to my 10grand audiophile turntable listening to pink noise and taking notes while using terms like "anemic". I DJ and my experience in a DJ booth lends me to believe that sony v6s are good mid range options that i find very comfortable.

And they are around $150.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by rcs1113 View Post
    I do wear glasses, oakley glasses that have straight arms...ahhh! But I probably wouldn't wear my glasses if I were gigging or even studying as I am nearsighted.
    This is such a tough decision I wish I could test them all out somewhere. HDJ2ks seem a bit too much for me price wise as well as my intended purpose.

you brought up that certain dj's use headphones even if they are sub par to other ones and one example I can see is that when I watched the tomorrowland video I saw avicii using the crossfades which I guess is part of my argument for them. Not the fact that "oh i want to have all the gear avicii uses" but more along the lines of if he was able to use these to mix in front of tens of thousands of people then it must be fine for me.

Do you think guitar center will carry these phones?
    Here's the thing about headphones. Until you try good ones, you're ALWAYS going to think that paying $200 for a pair is too much. Honestly, for DJ'ing, you can use practically anything, they don't even have to sound good as long as they don't distort too much. Heck, if you REALLY wanted to, you can even do a decent job with iPod earbuds if you REALLY wanted to. However, once you've listened for a bit on high quality cans, going back just really doesn't cut it anymore. It's an investment and since a pair of headphones is something that you will use the most next to your computer for DJing (or if you're oldschool, your turntables/CDJs plus mixer), you might as well go for good ones because again, they are investments for a VERY integral component to your set up. Since you wish to use them for every day listening as well, you might as well go for good ones since you'll be using them extensively and again, these things will last you for years, so just think of how many pairs of headphones that you didn't really care about would have come and gone in that similar time frame.

As for oliosky, I'm sorry if you don't really care about WHAT you're listening to because it's apparent that you don't. As long as the thing can be loud and plays sounds, you're apparently fine with it. There's a HUGE night and day difference between the V6/7506 and a pair of HD-25s or HDJ-2000s. You don't need an audiophile to be able to hear the dramatic difference between the two. You're stating the difference as if we were comparing Sennheiser HD550s to the HD650s where much of the sound is subtly different yet the price difference between the two are dramatic. THAT sort of comparison would be a audiophile comparison. A V6/7506 and HD-25/HDJ-2000 comparison however is a right in your face, night and day, OBVIOUS difference. Heck, the fact that you've mentioned how the V6/7506 have a flat response and thus very good for DJing, I should have just ignored your comments after that because the first thing for a pair of DJ headphones is to NOT have a flat response pair of headphones, you need one with most of the emphasis on the lower frequencies and then some emphasis on the higher frequencies because when you mix, you need to hear the beat as well as things like the high hat. DJ headphone mixing 101 here. Flat responses are not great for DJing and there's a reason why the V6/7506 aren't really all that popular with DJs. Some do use them but at the end of the day, they aren't that popular because they really aren't the right tools for the job. Saying how you see a DJ wear them means nothing, because again, you can mix perfectly fine with a really bad pair of $30 headphones if you really wanted to. They won't sound good but it will get the job done.

Tech Guru

I suggest the OP goes and listens to some of the headphones suggested that are in the specified price range.

Or you can listen to the "spec sheet critic" above and go straight to the most expensive options because nothing else is going to work.

Like I said, if Derrick Carter chooses V6s, and has chosen them for long long time, then some lesser being is going to be fine. Fuck the "sound" pedants.
    Last edited by oliosky; 01-31-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Tech Mentor

That's the best you could come up with Mr. Flat Frequency Headphones are Good for DJing?

Tech Guru

Yes. I like a flat response because I play music that is a bit more complex than just a fully sick beat. OMG, there is even a time when there isn't any beats! Somebody should think of the children.

But hey. I don't quote spec sheets so what would i know. just a quick overview of some pretty prominent Djs using a flat response headphone:

lee Burridge

Paul van Dyke

Derrick Carter

But listen to Dookielex. He knows more than these guys for sure.
    Last edited by oliosky; 02-01-2012 at 12:01 AM.

now now kids

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast